Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

Please add to this or recommend corrections as it is just a response to multiple questions regarding what will work in what.

First in formost you must determine what your frame takes. There are 4 primary options at this point. I am not including the other threaded options or BMX standards as they are rare for mountain bikes and most that have them probably wont need this help

1. BB30 - 30mm inner diameter bearings, Bearing fits directly in to the frame

2. PF30 (Press Fit 30) - 30mm inner diameter bearings, Bearing sits in a pressed in cup

3.Press Fit, BB90, BB92, BB95 24mm inner diameter bearings, pressed cup bearing

4. English Threaded Bottom Bracket - This is the old threaded standard shell that takes outboard 24mm inner diameter bearings, square tapered and splined bottom brackets

If you have option 1 or 2 any 30mm crank will fit, it doesnt matter if its marketed as a BB30 or PF30 crank.

Also if you have bottom bracket 1 or 2 you can use a BB30 adapter like this.

This adapter allows you to use 24mm shaft cranks including: Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type. They are used in tandem with your existing bottom bracket. These adapters wont work with Sram GXP cranks as far as I know.

If you have bottom bracket 3 you can only use 24mm shaft cranks. Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type are all interchange with each others bottom brackets. Sram GXP uses its own Press Fit bottom bracket.

Bottom bracket 4 is much like bottom bracket 3 in that Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type all use interchangeable bottom brackets but Sram GXP takes its own bottom bracket. As stated above this bottom bracket shell (the bike) will also take the older standards.

Hopefully this is helpful and doesn't just add to the confusion.
    Progression or marketing, most likely a little of both. Oh how I loath thee, bicycle industry.
    Last edited by e-luder; 12-30-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Excellent thread, nice work Ronabrandt!

Baby Bear is in the house
    This is, quite simply, AWESOME
    Just the info I've been looking for

Now for the silly question:

If I wanted to use a square taper crank (don't ask why; kidding... this is for a friend), would the Velo Orange threadless BB work on a PF30 frame (2011 Giant XTC)? My friend mistakenly bought the frame as an upgrade to his ATX, thinking he could just switch all of his parts over to the new frame. He's new to MTBing and was not aware of all the different "standards" in BBs nowadays.

He doesn't really want to change his drivetrain as it would be too costly. Since he's currently on 8-speed, if he has to change his crankset to fit the BB, he has to change out his entire drivetrain!

So I'm doing some research for him to check out his alternatives.

Any input would be very much appreciated

And Happy New Year btw
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    That wont work unfortunately. It is for threaded bottom brackets like bottom bracket 4. It is a cool solution for weird threads or ruined threads. There are BB30 9 speed crank sets available, and they will work with his 8 speed drive train. His cheapest option may be to get a BB30 bottom bracket, and some adapters like pictured above. Then just get some 9 speed 24mm shaft cranks. Either way its cheaper than a entire drivetrain.
    Whats this line for?

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    That wont work unfortunately. It is for threaded bottom brackets like bottom bracket 4. It is a cool solution for weird threads or ruined threads. There are BB30 9 speed crank sets available, and they will work with his 8 speed drive train. His cheapest option may be to get a BB30 bottom bracket, and some adapters like pictured above. Then just get some 9 speed 24mm shaft cranks. Either way its cheaper than a entire drivetrain.
    I figured as much. Thanks for that.

ta
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Faster it.
    Excellent thread... I need to clear up a little dilemma, maybe you can help:

My 2012 Pivot 5.7 has an X9 GXP crank and the frame uses a press-fit BB92 bottom bracket. I'm planning on upgrading the Pivot, so I want to use that X9 crank on a new 29er build that uses "standard 73mm threaded BB" bottom bracket; to do this would I just need to get a GXP threaded BB for the 29er to have everything bolt on? Which also makes me wonder if you can swap GXP cranks back and forth as long as the bottom brackets are also GXP (threaded, BB92)?

mtbr member
    r1Gel,

Truvativ makes a PF30 adapter that should work for your friend's need.

BTI | Truvativ BB-shell adapter kit, PF30 to BSA (threaded) - 68/73mm

Plays with tools
    They are bottom bracket FITMENTS. There is only one standard that's why its called a standard!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wonder about the FSA/Shimano compatibility.
    I just swapped a FSA crank from my 2009 Kona Unit with a SLX from another bike.
    My intention was just to swap cranksets.
    When I tried to install the FSA in the other bike with the SLX bottom bracket, it was tight going through the first bearing, had to use a dead blow hammer just a bit. However, when I went to seat the crankset fully in the bearings, I couldn't do it. I used the dead blow hammer but it wouldn't fully seat, at least 1/4" of shaft still out of the bearing - I was afraid to do it too much in case I wouldn't be able to get it back out.
    I should have checked with my calipers but just swapped bottom brackets. Everything went together easy after I did that.
    And yes, the bottom bracket had been faced and chased. Wonder if it was just tolerance stacking or if there is a slight difference.

Oops, didn't notice it was a zombie thread.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I wonder about the FSA/Shimano compatibility.
    I just swapped a FSA crank from my 2009 Kona Unit with a SLX from another bike.
    My intention was just to swap cranksets.
    When I tried to install the FSA in the other bike with the SLX bottom bracket, it was tight going through the first bearing, had to use a dead blow hammer just a bit. However, when I went to seat the crankset fully in the bearings, I couldn't do it. I used the dead blow hammer but it wouldn't fully seat, at least 1/4" of shaft still out of the bearing - I was afraid to do it too much in case I wouldn't be able to get it back out.
    I should have checked with my calipers but just swapped bottom brackets. Everything went together easy after I did that.
    And yes, the bottom bracket had been faced and chased. Wonder if it was just tolerance stacking or if there is a slight difference.

Oops, didn't notice it was a zombie thread.
    Shimano runs a -0/+.xxx tolerance and FSA is the reverse. If your lucky they will work together but more often than not they clash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First post here. Since this is a bottom bracket guide, I have a 2012 Giant trance x3 and I was planning to buy a new crankset. Currently, the bike has a Deore crankset with pressfit BB. I was looking to upgrade to the truvativ X0 which is bb30. Do I will get any issues? Thanks in advance and looking forward to post more often.

mtbr member
    In a thread like this, I just have to give a shout to Praxis Works and their Conversion Bottom-Bracket:

Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

There's no better solution for running 24mm Hollowtech cranks on a BB30 or PF30 frame. For that matter, it's a good solution period, and possibly better than running anything press fit.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aortiz View Post
    First post here. Since this is a bottom bracket guide, I have a 2012 Giant trance x3 and I was planning to buy a new crankset. Currently, the bike has a Deore crankset with pressfit BB. I was looking to upgrade to the truvativ X0 which is bb30. Do I will get any issues? Thanks in advance and looking forward to post more often.

That won't work. You can either stick to a Shimano, Raceface X-Type, or FSA Mega-Exo crank and save the bottom bracket, or go with a Sram GXP crank and get a new BB to go with it. BB30 is not compatible with your frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any chance we could get this cleaned up and stickied before it disappears off page 5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Also, there is the e13 threaded BB with 30mm bearings for option 4

mtbr member
    Subscribed!!! This is the Thread I've been looking for...

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aortiz View Post
    Maybe a bit late to help with your particular situation, but wanted to post up about the possibility to run a BB30 mountain crank in press-in BB92 BB shell: BB92 TO BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET KIT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-bb9230cs_600.jpg  

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-bearing_pressed2_700.jpg  

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-nondrive_installed_800c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've searched through the forums and haven't found an answer, so I'll try it here. I have a 2010 Trek Remedy that uses a Shimano M542 (Hallowtech 2) crank with a BB50? bottom bracket. I've got some SRAM BB30/PF30 cranks that I'd like to use, if possible. Do I just need to buy a BB30 bottom bracket or is this something I'm missing? I'm wondering if its really that simple and I'm overcomplicating it in my head... Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I've searched through the forums and haven't found an answer, so I'll try it here. I have a 2010 Trek Remedy that uses a Shimano M542 (Hallowtech 2) crank with a BB50? bottom bracket. I've got some SRAM BB30/PF30 cranks that I'd like to use, if possible. Do I just need to buy a BB30 bottom bracket or is this something I'm missing? I'm wondering if its really that simple and I'm overcomplicating it in my head... Thanks in advance!
    BB 30 won't work in your frame. You can convert from the wider BB30 shell down to a 24mm spindle, but not the other way around. Also the bearing spacing on your frame is too wide for a BB30 spindle to fit through.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Question - I just bought a FSA crankset that comes with a Ceramic BB30 BB. I'm getting a frame that uses PF30.
    I know PF30 fits in ~46mm shell, and BB30 bearings fit in ~42mmshell.

Is there an off chance that the BB30 bearings fit the PF30 plastic housing? If so, I'll buy a cheaper PF30 BB and swap the nicer ceramics into the housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pretty sure BB30 and PF30 bearings are identical. Not sure how easy it will be to do the swap without damaging the housing though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Then there is this thing I plan to use the 47 mm adaptors with a BB 30 crank. DSC02724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    I have a Salsa Spearfish with a PF30 bb. It has a Sram PF30bb and I am using the wheels manufacturing adapters shown in the OP with a Race Face Turbine 2x10 crank. It works but its vary tight. There is too much compression on the BB and it wont spin with out resistance. It works but I don't expect the BB to last long. The better way to go for Race Face cranks is there adapter BB if you can find it.

Race Face 2013

I have herd good things about the Parlee adapters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 2013 Trek Rumblefish that has press fit bottom bracket for a Sram crank will a Shimano Xt hallowtech fit in this bottom bracket? Any body have a Rumblefish here that can help Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

Xt hollow tech cranks use a 24mm spindle where press fit and bb30 use 30mm, so no it won't work.

You can get adapters that plug into your pf30 bb that will allow the simanos to work though. Or you can replace the whole bb with one of the complete units that have been mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast