Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

Please add to this or recommend corrections as it is just a response to multiple questions regarding what will work in what.

First in formost you must determine what your frame takes. There are 4 primary options at this point. I am not including the other threaded options or BMX standards as they are rare for mountain bikes and most that have them probably wont need this help

1. BB30 - 30mm inner diameter bearings, Bearing fits directly in to the frame

2. PF30 (Press Fit 30) - 30mm inner diameter bearings, Bearing sits in a pressed in cup

3.Press Fit, BB90, BB92, BB95 24mm inner diameter bearings, pressed cup bearing

4. English Threaded Bottom Bracket - This is the old threaded standard shell that takes outboard 24mm inner diameter bearings, square tapered and splined bottom brackets

If you have option 1 or 2 any 30mm crank will fit, it doesnt matter if its marketed as a BB30 or PF30 crank.

Also if you have bottom bracket 1 or 2 you can use a BB30 adapter like this.

This adapter allows you to use 24mm shaft cranks including: Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type. They are used in tandem with your existing bottom bracket. These adapters wont work with Sram GXP cranks as far as I know.

If you have bottom bracket 3 you can only use 24mm shaft cranks. Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type are all interchange with each others bottom brackets. Sram GXP uses its own Press Fit bottom bracket.

Bottom bracket 4 is much like bottom bracket 3 in that Shimano Hollow Tech II, FSA Mega Exo and Race Face X-Type all use interchangeable bottom brackets but Sram GXP takes its own bottom bracket. As stated above this bottom bracket shell (the bike) will also take the older standards.

Hopefully this is helpful and doesn't just add to the confusion.
    Progression or marketing, most likely a little of both. Oh how I loath thee, bicycle industry.
    Last edited by e-luder; 12-30-2011 at 01:47 AM.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Excellent thread, nice work Ronabrandt!

Baby Bear is in the house
    This is, quite simply, AWESOME
    Just the info I've been looking for

Now for the silly question:

If I wanted to use a square taper crank (don't ask why; kidding... this is for a friend), would the Velo Orange threadless BB work on a PF30 frame (2011 Giant XTC)? My friend mistakenly bought the frame as an upgrade to his ATX, thinking he could just switch all of his parts over to the new frame. He's new to MTBing and was not aware of all the different "standards" in BBs nowadays.

He doesn't really want to change his drivetrain as it would be too costly. Since he's currently on 8-speed, if he has to change his crankset to fit the BB, he has to change out his entire drivetrain!

So I'm doing some research for him to check out his alternatives.

Any input would be very much appreciated

And Happy New Year btw
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    That wont work unfortunately. It is for threaded bottom brackets like bottom bracket 4. It is a cool solution for weird threads or ruined threads. There are BB30 9 speed crank sets available, and they will work with his 8 speed drive train. His cheapest option may be to get a BB30 bottom bracket, and some adapters like pictured above. Then just get some 9 speed 24mm shaft cranks. Either way its cheaper than a entire drivetrain.
    Whats this line for?

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    That wont work unfortunately. It is for threaded bottom brackets like bottom bracket 4. It is a cool solution for weird threads or ruined threads. There are BB30 9 speed crank sets available, and they will work with his 8 speed drive train. His cheapest option may be to get a BB30 bottom bracket, and some adapters like pictured above. Then just get some 9 speed 24mm shaft cranks. Either way its cheaper than a entire drivetrain.
    I figured as much. Thanks for that.

ta
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Faster it.
    Excellent thread... I need to clear up a little dilemma, maybe you can help:

My 2012 Pivot 5.7 has an X9 GXP crank and the frame uses a press-fit BB92 bottom bracket. I'm planning on upgrading the Pivot, so I want to use that X9 crank on a new 29er build that uses "standard 73mm threaded BB" bottom bracket; to do this would I just need to get a GXP threaded BB for the 29er to have everything bolt on? Which also makes me wonder if you can swap GXP cranks back and forth as long as the bottom brackets are also GXP (threaded, BB92)?

mtbr member
    r1Gel,

Truvativ makes a PF30 adapter that should work for your friend's need.

BTI | Truvativ BB-shell adapter kit, PF30 to BSA (threaded) - 68/73mm

Plays with tools
    They are bottom bracket FITMENTS. There is only one standard that's why its called a standard!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wonder about the FSA/Shimano compatibility.
    I just swapped a FSA crank from my 2009 Kona Unit with a SLX from another bike.
    My intention was just to swap cranksets.
    When I tried to install the FSA in the other bike with the SLX bottom bracket, it was tight going through the first bearing, had to use a dead blow hammer just a bit. However, when I went to seat the crankset fully in the bearings, I couldn't do it. I used the dead blow hammer but it wouldn't fully seat, at least 1/4" of shaft still out of the bearing - I was afraid to do it too much in case I wouldn't be able to get it back out.
    I should have checked with my calipers but just swapped bottom brackets. Everything went together easy after I did that.
    And yes, the bottom bracket had been faced and chased. Wonder if it was just tolerance stacking or if there is a slight difference.

Oops, didn't notice it was a zombie thread.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I wonder about the FSA/Shimano compatibility.
    I just swapped a FSA crank from my 2009 Kona Unit with a SLX from another bike.
    My intention was just to swap cranksets.
    When I tried to install the FSA in the other bike with the SLX bottom bracket, it was tight going through the first bearing, had to use a dead blow hammer just a bit. However, when I went to seat the crankset fully in the bearings, I couldn't do it. I used the dead blow hammer but it wouldn't fully seat, at least 1/4" of shaft still out of the bearing - I was afraid to do it too much in case I wouldn't be able to get it back out.
    I should have checked with my calipers but just swapped bottom brackets. Everything went together easy after I did that.
    And yes, the bottom bracket had been faced and chased. Wonder if it was just tolerance stacking or if there is a slight difference.

Oops, didn't notice it was a zombie thread.
    Shimano runs a -0/+.xxx tolerance and FSA is the reverse. If your lucky they will work together but more often than not they clash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First post here. Since this is a bottom bracket guide, I have a 2012 Giant trance x3 and I was planning to buy a new crankset. Currently, the bike has a Deore crankset with pressfit BB. I was looking to upgrade to the truvativ X0 which is bb30. Do I will get any issues? Thanks in advance and looking forward to post more often.

mtbr member
    In a thread like this, I just have to give a shout to Praxis Works and their Conversion Bottom-Bracket:

Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

There's no better solution for running 24mm Hollowtech cranks on a BB30 or PF30 frame. For that matter, it's a good solution period, and possibly better than running anything press fit.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aortiz View Post
    First post here. Since this is a bottom bracket guide, I have a 2012 Giant trance x3 and I was planning to buy a new crankset. Currently, the bike has a Deore crankset with pressfit BB. I was looking to upgrade to the truvativ X0 which is bb30. Do I will get any issues? Thanks in advance and looking forward to post more often.

That won't work. You can either stick to a Shimano, Raceface X-Type, or FSA Mega-Exo crank and save the bottom bracket, or go with a Sram GXP crank and get a new BB to go with it. BB30 is not compatible with your frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any chance we could get this cleaned up and stickied before it disappears off page 5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Also, there is the e13 threaded BB with 30mm bearings for option 4

mtbr member
    Subscribed!!! This is the Thread I've been looking for...

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aortiz View Post
    Maybe a bit late to help with your particular situation, but wanted to post up about the possibility to run a BB30 mountain crank in press-in BB92 BB shell: BB92 TO BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET KIT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-bb9230cs_600.jpg  

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-bearing_pressed2_700.jpg  

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-nondrive_installed_800c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've searched through the forums and haven't found an answer, so I'll try it here. I have a 2010 Trek Remedy that uses a Shimano M542 (Hallowtech 2) crank with a BB50? bottom bracket. I've got some SRAM BB30/PF30 cranks that I'd like to use, if possible. Do I just need to buy a BB30 bottom bracket or is this something I'm missing? I'm wondering if its really that simple and I'm overcomplicating it in my head... Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I've searched through the forums and haven't found an answer, so I'll try it here. I have a 2010 Trek Remedy that uses a Shimano M542 (Hallowtech 2) crank with a BB50? bottom bracket. I've got some SRAM BB30/PF30 cranks that I'd like to use, if possible. Do I just need to buy a BB30 bottom bracket or is this something I'm missing? I'm wondering if its really that simple and I'm overcomplicating it in my head... Thanks in advance!
    BB 30 won't work in your frame. You can convert from the wider BB30 shell down to a 24mm spindle, but not the other way around. Also the bearing spacing on your frame is too wide for a BB30 spindle to fit through.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Question - I just bought a FSA crankset that comes with a Ceramic BB30 BB. I'm getting a frame that uses PF30.
    I know PF30 fits in ~46mm shell, and BB30 bearings fit in ~42mmshell.

Is there an off chance that the BB30 bearings fit the PF30 plastic housing? If so, I'll buy a cheaper PF30 BB and swap the nicer ceramics into the housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pretty sure BB30 and PF30 bearings are identical. Not sure how easy it will be to do the swap without damaging the housing though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Then there is this thing I plan to use the 47 mm adaptors with a BB 30 crank. DSC02724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    I have a Salsa Spearfish with a PF30 bb. It has a Sram PF30bb and I am using the wheels manufacturing adapters shown in the OP with a Race Face Turbine 2x10 crank. It works but its vary tight. There is too much compression on the BB and it wont spin with out resistance. It works but I don't expect the BB to last long. The better way to go for Race Face cranks is there adapter BB if you can find it.

Race Face 2013

I have herd good things about the Parlee adapters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 2013 Trek Rumblefish that has press fit bottom bracket for a Sram crank will a Shimano Xt hallowtech fit in this bottom bracket? Any body have a Rumblefish here that can help Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

Xt hollow tech cranks use a 24mm spindle where press fit and bb30 use 30mm, so no it won't work.

You can get adapters that plug into your pf30 bb that will allow the simanos to work though. Or you can replace the whole bb with one of the complete units that have been mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great thread...but. I've got an X9 crank that came out of a GXP BB shell from a Trek X-caliber. I'd like to use the crank on one of Trek's new Stache frames, which uses a press-fit bearing. Problem is I don't know and can't find reference to whether it is PF30, or what. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Measure the diameter of the bottom bracket on the bike. Each of the standards has a different diameter.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba2012 View Post
    I have a 2013 Trek Rumblefish that has press fit bottom bracket for a Sram crank will a Shimano Xt hallowtech fit in this bottom bracket? Any body have a Rumblefish here that can help Thanks
    That is a "BB92." It's also called "BB91" and is also the same as "BB89.5". Basically means it's a press fit mountain standard with a BB shell ID of 41mm. Since SRAM is 24mm one side and 22mm on the other side, you can't just put a Shimano crank set into the same BB. You would need a replacement BB from Shimano in the BB92 standard or an aftermarket version. The part number for the standard Shimano-manufactured version is BB71-41A. We have several aftermarket versions with various bearing options here: PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Great thread...but. I've got an X9 crank that came out of a GXP BB shell from a Trek X-caliber. I'd like to use the crank on one of Trek's new Stache frames, which uses a press-fit bearing. Problem is I don't know and can't find reference to whether it is PF30, or what. Any help would be appreciated.
    The Stache uses the "BB91/BB92/BB89.5" standard. In other words, 41mm inside diameter BB shell that uses press-in cups. You would need either a SRAM-manufactured "Pressfit GXP Adaptor, Mountain" or an aftermarket version like those we offer here: PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID. You would need to select a "GXP" option as opposed to a "HT2" option.

mtbr member
    Hi All,
    Praxis here, and thanks for all the emails about this thread and the questions about our Conversion BB for Shimano cranks. We're doing everything we can to stay on top of demand so thanks for your patience...and yes...more versions for other cranks are coming soon.

We simply wanted to make a PROPER BB and not a spacer/adaptor. Our unique design seems to have struck a chord with riders/mechanics and we're glad to help people out with a real solution for a rock solid BB for Shimano cranks on BB30, PF30, or the Specialized ROAD frame OSBB.

Updated Product Page link here : Praxis Works | Conversion Kit Raw YouTube video also there of full explanation from the floor at Core Bike Show in UK.

If any other questions feel free to email from our Contact page email.
    Thanks,
    Adam@PraxisWorks
    Praxis Works
    Manufacturer
    Santa Cruz County, CA

mtbr member
    Where can I find a list of bikes that use BB30? Other than Cannondale. Google doesn't help.
    Last edited by Thatshowiroll; 03-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Wow, I just checked in on this thread since a lot of great products have become available to make cranks a little more cross compatible. Sorry to those that didnt get there questions answered.

Unfortunately I cant edit my op, reading it after all this time showed me some points of confusion.
    Last edited by e-luder; 04-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Whats this line for?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Some more quick references

Frame bottom bracket shell inner diameter measurements

BB30 Shell Diameter: 42mm
    PF30 Shell Diameter: 46mm
    BB86/92 (press-fit) shell Diameter: 41mm

Also I should clarify that BB90/95 are not the same as BB86/92. It is/was only used by Trek in there carbon frames as far as I know and essentially uses the bearings from the BB86/92 bottom brackets with out the plastic cups. Much like a BB30 is a to PF30. For the record it has a 37mm Shell Diameter so a quick measurement will tell you if you have this or not.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    I am working on a bike for my daughter. It's a 34cm Ghost that has a PF30 BB shell. I am planning on running a short 140mm crank in a 1x10 set up until she grows and can be updated to a 165mm crank. What this means is I am stuck with using a Square taper or Isis bottom bracket foe right now. With the current adaptor posted in this thread I should be able to run an Isis BB in my PF30 frame so the short BMX cranks can be used, correct? If this is the case, what width of Isis bottom bracket should I use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm working on upgrading my bike (even more than it is), and am trying to find measurements for the bb and cranks. It's a 2012 Giant Trance X4 and I'm trying to see if I can fit a Shimano Zee or Saint groupset to it. Any help would be great.

And one quick question that I haven't been able to find any answers for... Would I be able to fit a threaded bb to my bike? It has a press fit currently, and it's been a b**** trying to make a 1x set up work on it.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You want the threaded BB to mount a chain guide? I'm not sure if/how that would work with any of the adapters out there. I would instead suggest getting a clutch type rear mech and one of these chainrings:
    wolftoothcycling.com
    Race Face 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's what I had planned on doing, I was just curious if it could be done and work properly with a chain guide. Thanks!

Hugged a Yeti Today?
    Anyone have experience with the Race Face BB adapter for PF30 frames? I have always ridden and raced on RF Turbines. Building up a Niner Air 9 that has 73mm width PF30 interface. I see that RF makes their own BB to fit to be able to run their cranks. Just not sure how durable or good the adapter is. I have had my share of bombproof RF BBs and really crappy RF BBs as they made new ones to fit the external bearing cranksets. Just hoping for some feedback from someone who has tried it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XX1 BB30 installed in 68mm BSA BB

I'm running XX1 BB30 crank in my old-school steel frame.

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-photo-2.jpg

The XX1 BB30 crank's axle measures ~89mm without the bearing preloader. 68mm BB faced at local shop, measures at 68.3mm.
    I bought external BB30 BSA threaded bottom bracket bearing cups from Enduro. Each bearing cup measures ~10mm, so with BB and cups, total came to ~88mm. I installed the NDS arm minus the preload adjuster. Sure enough, the crank interface barely clears the bearing cup. I installed the DS without any spacers and torqued it to spec. Chainline measures at 49mm per SRAM. The crank spins freely without any drag or play. I've been running this setup without any issues.
    Last edited by ibis315; 10-04-2013 at 10:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Octalink BB 1995 GT Zaskar

I have a 1994 GT Zaskar frame (based on the serial number). I am trying to install an XTR octalink bottom bracket. Everything I'm reading says 73x107mm, but I cannot find such size in octalink. Is there anyone that knows the solution to this problem?
    Last edited by iambill; 10-31-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Incorrect reply-to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Race Face BB adapter for PF30 frames? I have always ridden and raced on RF Turbines. Building up a Niner Air 9 that has 73mm width PF30 interface. I see that RF makes their own BB to fit to be able to run their cranks. Just not sure how durable or good the adapter is. I have had my share of bombproof RF BBs and really crappy RF BBs as they made new ones to fit the external bearing cranksets. Just hoping for some feedback from someone who has tried it.
    I switched to one on my Salsa frame before I had to Warranty it. I had a few problems pressing it in. It wouldn't go straight in it kept getting cocked in the frame. I got it in after a lot of fussing with it. Once my frame was warranted I had a hell of a time getting the BB out. It presses in so tight that I tore it up quite badly trying to get it out. When I tried to get in in the new frame I had the same problem it wouldn't go straight. It ended up damaging the BB shell on the frame. I trashed it and went to the plastic SRAM press in adapter to run a normal raceface BB. In concept its nice but in practice its not so nice. The outside of the BB needs to be plastic not metal so you can't damage your frame trying to press it in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iambill View Post
    I have a 1994 GT Zaskar frame (based on the serial number). I am trying to install an XTR octalink bottom bracket. Everything I'm reading says 73x107mm, but I cannot find such size in octalink. Is there anyone that knows the solution to this problem?
    113 is the shortest overall spindle I think you can get in an octalink. 3mm per side won't matter since you're going a little wider anyway, and I'd bet the Q factor on Octalink cranks has a narrower profile to compensate for the larger crank to spindle interface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for that information. In addition, so I've discovered, Shimano 105 octalink comes in 109.5mm, but I will try out a cheap 113 before I go all out on the XTR BB. Thanks for your input! Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis Works View Post
    Hi All,
    Praxis here, and thanks for all the emails about this thread and the questions about our Conversion BB for Shimano cranks. We're doing everything we can to stay on top of demand so thanks for your patience...and yes...more versions for other cranks are coming soon.

We simply wanted to make a PROPER BB and not a spacer/adaptor. Our unique design seems to have struck a chord with riders/mechanics and we're glad to help people out with a real solution for a rock solid BB for Shimano cranks on BB30, PF30, or the Specialized ROAD frame OSBB.

Updated Product Page link here : Praxis Works | Conversion Kit Raw YouTube video also there of full explanation from the floor at Core Bike Show in UK.

If any other questions feel free to email from our Contact page email.
    Thanks,
    Adam@PraxisWorks
    Adam your design is brilliant, I will be ordering one the minute I get my frame..

What kind of channels do you have to order one, LBS, direct...??

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just to clarify:
    Current setup is a BB92 bottom bracket with a Raceface Evolve crankset.
    Assuming I intend to use a modern non-BB30 or non-PF30 based crankset. My options to change crankset are:

1. Keep the Bottom Bracket in place and replace with any Shimano or Raceface crankset with 24mm spindle.

2. Get a Sram/Truvative GXP BB92 bottom bracket. Then get any Sram/Truvativ standard crankset (ie non-BB30).

3. Do something elaborate with adaptors from 3rd party vendors and try to use a weird combination of cranks and expensive bottom brackets.

Spindle lengths don't matter? It's never listed in an item description.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just to clarify:
    Assuming I intend to use a modern non-BB30 or non-PF30 based crankset. My options to change crankset are:

1. Keep the Bottom Bracket in place and replace with any Shimano or Raceface crankset with 24mm spindle.

2. Get a Sram/Truvative GXP BB92 bottom bracket. Then get any Sram/Truvativ standard crankset (ie non-BB30).

3. Do something elaborate with adaptors from 3rd party vendors and try to use a weird combination of cranks and expensive bottom brackets.

Since right up front you excluded any crankset with a 30mm spindle, I'm not sure why you list option number 3 about elaborate adapters. What's to adapt to? I you are running a Shimano (or RF) crank, standard BB92 is fine. If you are running a GXP crank, BB92 for GXP is fine. You already defined the cranksets. Even sticking with those two types of cranks (HT2 and GXP), you still have many BB options (aluminum cups vs. plastic) and many bearing options. You can see some of the many BB92 options (both HT2 and GXP) here: PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID. Of course these are our offerings. There are many other options from other manufacturers as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compat...

Just to clarify:

All correct, though I would get an Enduro BB92 bottom bracket. Available for Shimano style or SRAM GXP cranks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    Since right up front you excluded any crankset with a 30mm spindle, I'm not sure why you list option number 3 about elaborate adapters. What's to adapt to?
    All I'm trying to do is get a Sram X9 crankset so that I can start experimenting with a spiderless chainring system. Just want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong parts.
    Since the world of bottom brackets and cranksets is confusing to me, I don't know what would need adapting too. I just now realized that a Sram BB30 crank won't go into a Sram BB92 bottom bracket because the spindle is too thick. Since the expensive and confusing bottom bracket adapters keep coming up, I thought maybe there was something else I needed to know before jumping in. Since I can get a Sram BB92 bottom bracket for $35 I'm not sure why I'd go with a 3rd party, but please do enlighten me.
    Thanks for all the help.

otb club member
    All I'm trying to do is get a Sram X9 crankset so that I can start experimenting with a spiderless chainring system. Just want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong parts.
    Since the world of bottom brackets and cranksets is confusing to me, I don't know what would need adapting too. I just now realized that a Sram BB30 crank won't go into a Sram BB92 bottom bracket because the spindle is too thick. Since the expensive and confusing bottom bracket adapters keep coming up, I thought maybe there was something else I needed to know before jumping in. Since I can get a Sram BB92 bottom bracket for $35 I'm not sure why I'd go with a 3rd party, but please do enlighten me.
    Thanks for all the help.
    You are so right on the confusion. BB "standards" have exploded over that last few years. I hope I don't add to the confusion by telling you that, in some cases, a BB30 crank can be run in a BB92 shell (BB92 TO BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET KIT). This would be one of those times when spindle length does matter--since not all BB30 MTB cranks do have long enough spindles to make the conversion. Unfortunately, as you pointed out earlier, this info is rarely offered by manufacturers.

As far as your question about why you might consider a 3rd party BB, it is really a question of performance. It's mostly related to friction reduction. Some options also offer greater longevity and greater corrosion resistance.

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compat...

Thanks for all the help.
    Just get the X9 GXP crankset. Be sure you buy the GXP versions of the direct mount rings. Not the same as the BB30 rings.

The Enduro BBs have much nicer bearings and the bearing are replaceable at a reasonable cost. I think you do not even need to remove the cups to do that. Chris?
    mtbtires.com

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Just get the X9 GXP crankset. Be sure you buy the GXP versions of the direct mount rings. Not the same as the BB30 rings.

The Enduro BBs have much nicer bearings and the bearing are replaceable at a reasonable cost. I think you do not even need to remove the cups to do that. Chris?
    Using a bearing removal tool specific for BB92 will sometimes remove just the bearing, but sometimes the cup will come with it. It depends on how tight the press fit is on a particular application.

Plays with tools
    Thought this thread could use some info about the newer Shimano threaded BB's although they are backwards compatible to older cranks they use different tools.

First is the XTR SM-BB93 This cup shape is also shared by the DA 9000 BB. The cups on these are almost flush with the outside of the BB shell once installed
    Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-sh90bbc-1.jpg

Next is the Ultegra 6800 and what will become the new XT BB in time. This cup has a size that's between the DA/XTR one and the original outboard cup size requiring yet another tool.
    Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-sh68bb-1.jpg

It's worth noting that all of these bottom brackets are compatible with their respective cranks. The ID is still designed around a 24mm spindle so it's not an issue to get one of the new BB's for an older crankset.

otb club member
    Regarding the new Shimano external BBs with the "mini-cups" pictured above, I believe they ship with a plastic insert for putting inside a standard outboard BB cup tool. However, excuse my snarkiness in saying any pipe wrench or set of channel locks will do to remove them from the bike and throw them in the trash. Many end users think they need to buy a special bottom bracket to replace these when they fail, but any Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket will replace them. Shimano usually puts quality first, but these bearings do not even stand up to road use. I highly doubt these are going to cut it for mountain bike applications. The only advantage of the new design is to save weight. In this case, it comes at a price--they are weak.

Regarding the new Shimano external BBs with the "mini-cups" pictured above, I believe they ship with a plastic insert for putting inside a standard outboard BB cup tool. However, excuse my snarkiness in saying any pipe wrench or set of channel locks will do to remove them from the bike and throw them in the trash. Many end users think they need to buy a special bottom bracket to replace these when they fail, but any Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket will replace them. Shimano usually puts quality first, but these bearings do not even stand up to road use. I highly doubt these are going to cut it for mountain bike applications. The only advantage of the new design is to save weight. In this case, it comes at a price--they are weak.
    I noticed that the external bearing cups have greatly reduced clearance for small BCD rings, making it impossible to get a proper chainline.
    mtbtires.com

otb club member
    I noticed that the external bearing cups have greatly reduced clearance for small BCD rings, making it impossible to get a proper chainline.
    Hmm. As compared to a press fit, you mean? The OD should work out about the same, as well as the bearing placement, in most cases.

Hmm. As compared to a press fit, you mean? The OD should work out about the same, as well as the bearing placement, in most cases.
    No, compared to traditional internal bearing BBs

The press fit BBs are worse because the frame is the limiting factor. I modified a carbon frame so the 74mm chainring bolts would clear, and the chainline is still too far outboard.
    mtbtires.com

otb club member
    No, compared to traditional internal bearing BBs

The press fit BBs are worse because the frame is the limiting factor. I modified a carbon frame so the 74mm chainring bolts would clear, and the chainline is still too far outboard.
    I see what you mean now. Run the cookie-cutter options, and you are OK, but step outside the norm and you have limiting factors by moving the bearings further out?

I see what you mean now. Run the cookie-cutter options, and you are OK, but step outside the norm and you have limiting factors by moving the bearings further out?
    Yup, the 50/51mm crank chainline is used for ring/FD/big tire/short stays clearance, not drivetrain efficiency. It really should be used with a 150mm hub rather than 135.
    mtbtires.com

Plays with tools
    That's an interesting opinion. The pro road teams were having pretty good durability out of them last season. If they can stand up to the pressure washing and power those riders and mechanics put out I'm thinking there up to the task.

The supplied plastic insert is still shipping with new BB's but it's a half baked solution that won't work with a lot of BB tools. It's meant to work with Shimano's loose fitting spanner and sockets. If you're using something like the one Enduro or I make it's not going to fit well, if at all. I do make a dedicated socket for those two odd sizes though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any useropinions on the new BB93 botbracket?
    I wonder wich one is the best to use BB90 or the new BB93?
    I have to make the choice for multi day marathon racing...
    Don't wont it to break down on me in the middle of the week...

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmanducman View Post
    Any useropinions on the new BB93 botbracket?
    I wonder wich one is the best to use BB90 or the new BB93?
    I have to make the choice for multi day marathon racing...
    Don't wont it to break down on me in the middle of the week...
    BB90 is the Trek net molded sockets. I don't see how it's possible to have a choice between BB90 and BB93. Did you possibly misstate your choice?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    That's an interesting opinion. The pro road teams were having pretty good durability out of them last season. If they can stand up to the pressure washing and power those riders and mechanics put out I'm thinking there up to the task.
    Well, I always reserve the right to be wrong. This is based on many customers looking for replacement bottom brackets and thinking they were locked into this design (not knowing they could use any other HT2 threaded BB).

Are you sure the BBs held up to pro team use? Just because that's what they were running doesn't mean they weren't changing them out regularly. If you have inside info that they were not changing them and were indeed pressure washing the same BB throughout the season, that would definitely be worth considering.

otb club member
    The supplied plastic insert is still shipping with new BB's but it's a half baked solution that won't work with a lot of BB tools. It's meant to work with Shimano's loose fitting spanner and sockets. If you're using something like the one Enduro or I make it's not going to fit well, if at all. I do make a dedicated socket for those two odd sizes though.
    We are in complete agreement on this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ok, strange question --

the new raceface next sl cranks use a 30mm spindle. can i use a RF 30mm bottom bracket to put a bb30 crank on a standard english threaded frame?

anyone every try this?

thanks!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ok, strange question --

the new raceface next sl cranks use a 30mm spindle. can i use a RF 30mm bottom bracket to put a bb30 crank on a standard english threaded frame?

anyone every try this?

thanks!
    Absolutely. The Next SL has a long enough spindle to run an external BB30 bottom bracket. They show compatibility right on their site. We've verified our EX30 bottom brackets also work with the Next SL crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thank you kindly for the reply.

i did a little digging harder this am, and it looks like a 30mm english BB can fit a bb30 crank to a 68mm frame, but the spindle of a bb30 crank is too narrow to fit it to a 73mm frame.

cheers!

otb club member

i did a little digging harder this am, and it looks like a 30mm english BB can fit a bb30 crank to a 68mm frame, but the spindle of a bb30 crank is too narrow to fit it to a 73mm frame.

cheers!
    Not so according to Race Face. Not all BB30 cranks have the same spindle length. This is from Race Face specifically about the Next SL:

Specs & Colours
    BUILT FOR: XC Race/Trail/Enduro
    SIZE: 170, 175mm
    BB OPTIONS: BB92, 68/73 BSA, 100mm BSA, PF30

They specifically list 73 BSA.

otb club member

cheers!
    Face-to-face of the cups is spec'd at 98.1mm +/- 1mm. That's quite a bit of room. See this install diagram:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-next_sl.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great thread, all the new standards for BBs is way confusing.

I have a 2013 Kona Satori that came with a Press-fit 92 BB and SLX cranks. I recently swapped out the full drivetrain for the Sram XO1 kit which I love except for the creaking GXP press fit BB with plastic cups.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks.

Woody

Plays with tools
    Well, I always reserve the right to be wrong. This is based on many customers looking for replacement bottom brackets and thinking they were locked into this design (not knowing they could use any other HT2 threaded BB).

Are you sure the BBs held up to pro team use? Just because that's what they were running doesn't mean they weren't changing them out regularly. If you have inside info that they were not changing them and were indeed pressure washing the same BB throughout the season, that would definitely be worth considering.
    The answer I got when I talked to the dozen or so teams running 9000 groups the last two seasons was that durability was as good or better than the 7900 BB. This from half a dozen world tour mechanics and a couple of domestic guys as well.

otb club member
    The answer I got when I talked to the dozen or so teams running 9000 groups the last two seasons was that durability was as good or better than the 7900 BB. This from half a dozen world tour mechanics and a couple of domestic guys as well.
    Well, it took you a while, but it would be an understatement to say that the reference list is impressive.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Great thread, all the new standards for BBs is way confusing.

I have a 2013 Kona Satori that came with a Press-fit 92 BB and SLX cranks. I recently swapped out the full drivetrain for the Sram XO1 kit which I love except for the creaking GXP press fit BB with plastic cups.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks. Woody
    Press fit BBs have been frustrating for many people. I think I mentioned previously that there are many cases of out-of-round shells and I.D. tolerances not being met. Just one personal example of a particularly bad frame was a Specialized with the carbon "OSBB" standard (46mm ID x 61mm Wide). Checking with a single press fit cup, one side of the BB shell was a tight fit, while on the other side, the same cup would slide right into the shell and actually had play.

Sometimes in particularly loose fitting applications a couple of wraps of Teflon plumbers' tape will take up the slack and also provide pretty good noise dampening. If you use this method you still have to watch that the cup doesn't rotate under load. Some end users find nothing works but using Loctite to essentially glue the cups into place. Understandably, many are hesitant to do this, especially in a carbon shell. It's not easy to get a bottom bracket installed in this way back out.

Where tolerances are good and proper press fit can be achieved, nothing more than grease may be required. Personally, I prefer the aluminum cups with O-rings for press fit applications when possible, but you are still at the mercy of the frame manufacturer as far as having to hope the BB shell is properly done. If not, you are back to playing with Teflon tape and/or Loctite again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the response. I had thought of trying the plumber tape theory so good to hear I was not off base. It does not sound as if you offer a BB w/ alum cups compatible?

Press fit BBs have been frustrating for many people. I think I mentioned previously that there are many cases of out-of-round shells and I.D. tolerances not being met. Just one personal example of a particularly bad frame was a Specialized with the carbon "OSBB" standard (46mm ID x 61mm Wide). Checking with a single press fit cup, one side of the BB shell was a tight fit, while on the other side, the same cup would slide right into the shell and actually had play.

Sometimes in particularly loose fitting applications a couple of wraps of Teflon plumbers' tape will take up the slack and also provide pretty good noise dampening. If you use this method you still have to watch that the cup doesn't rotate under load. Some end users find nothing works but using Loctite to essentially glue the cups into place. Understandably, many are hesitant to do this, especially in a carbon shell. It's not easy to get a bottom bracket installed in this way back out.

Where tolerances are good and proper press fit can be achieved, nothing more than grease may be required. Personally, I prefer the aluminum cups with O-rings for press fit applications when possible, but you are still at the mercy of the frame manufacturer as far as having to hope the BB shell is properly done. If not, you are back to playing with Teflon tape and/or Loctite again.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Thanks for the response. I had thought of trying the plumber tape theory so good to hear I was not off base. It does not sound as if you offer a BB w/ alum cups compatible?
    Actually we do, I was just addressing the creaking issues you had. Any of the mountain BB92 offerings on this page are compatible: PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID.

Plays with tools
    Well, it took you a while, but it would be an understatement to say that the reference list is impressive.
    I've got a business to run after all. If I don't make tools for those customers they tend to not fill me in on these kinds of things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK, I went on Praxis website and it says the solution to convert BB30/PF30/OSBB to SRAM GXP/ISIS2 is not yet available. Is their any other solution that I can use right now?

I have a SRAM XX1 MOUNTAIN GXP 1X11 CRANK arm and I want to take that and install it on a frame that is BB30 ? Can this be done as of today?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by samsolong View Post
    OK, I went on Praxis website and it says the solution to convert BB30/PF30/OSBB to SRAM GXP/ISIS2 is not yet available. Is their any other solution that I can use right now?

I have a SRAM XX1 MOUNTAIN GXP 1X11 CRANK arm and I want to take that and install it on a frame that is BB30 ? Can this be done as of today?
    Absolutely. KCNC/RWC BB30 to GXP BB Adapter with Enduro ZERO Bearings
    Some are out of stock, but we will have levels back up next week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you Chris2fur,
    I have been stumped with this problem for months now and this looks like it will work without having to change the whole new crankset! will keep you all posted how it goes!

otb club member
    Thank you Chris2fur,
    I have been stumped with this problem for months now and this looks like it will work without having to change the whole new crankset! will keep you all posted how it goes!
    Awesome! Thanks for the order. Looking forward to your feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the order. Looking forward to your feedback.
    Chris2fur,
    Received the BB and the instruction sheet came with it says it is ONLY FOR USE WITH 'HALLOWTECH 2" CRANKSET WITH 24MM SPINDLE . I have a "SRAM XX1 MOUNTAIN GXP 1X11 CRANK arm" will this still work ?

otb club member
    Chris2fur,
    Received the BB and the instruction sheet came with it says it is ONLY FOR USE WITH 'HALLOWTECH 2" CRANKSET WITH 24MM SPINDLE . I have a "SRAM XX1 MOUNTAIN GXP 1X11 CRANK arm" will this still work ?
    You either got shipped the wrong item or it has the wrong instructions. You can tell if you have the right BB by checking the non-drive (L) side. It should have a 22mm inside diameter. The drive side will be 24mm. Also, please let me know what the SKU number on the header card is. You should probably email me directly (chris@realworldcycling.com).

mtbr member
    Any suggestions on a replacement BB for the Truvativ Power Spline? I want to upgrade to a 1x crankset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should start a new thread.
    You want a new BB or a new crank? The Power Spline is proprietary to Truvativ and you will need to replace it with another.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to replace the crankset but I don't know what other BBs will work on my frame's bb shell. There aren't many crank options for the Power Spline.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They are bottom bracket FITMENTS. There is only one standard that's why its called a standard!
    Nope.

The funny thing about standards for bike stuff is that there are more standards to choose from every ****ing year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Alright, I've got a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (specs here) and I'm 99% sure I've got a PF30 bottom bracket mount.

I'm looking to replace my crankset and BB -- will any 'GXP' crankset work with my bike?

Anyone have any specific recommendations for a crankset that will fit my bike? It seems hard to come by 10 speed PF30s.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscarface View Post
    Alright, I've got a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (specs here) and I'm 99% sure I've got a PF30 bottom bracket mount.

I'm looking to replace my crankset and BB -- will any 'GXP' crankset work with my bike?

Anyone have any specific recommendations for a crankset that will fit my bike? It seems hard to come by 10 speed PF30s.
    Not an easy question. Specialized is confusing as hell when it comes to what bottom brackets are on which frames. Sometimes I think they themselves don't remember what they did on a given frame. Your frame is alloy, right? So, there are two possibilities: 1) 73mm wide BSA (threaded). 2) 73mm wide x 46mm ID press fit.
    If you follow your own link, and read the specs, for the BB it says: "SRAM GXP, outboard bearing." Outboard bearings are by definition outside the BB shell in a cup. That would indicate a threaded bottom bracket. Flip over your bike. If aluminum cups are sticking outside the BB shell they will be obvious. Once you know for sure which BB shell you have, crank and BB recommendations will be easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Not an easy question. Specialized is confusing as hell when it comes to what bottom brackets are on which frames. Sometimes I think they themselves don't remember what they did on a given frame. Your frame is alloy, right? So, there are two possibilities: 1) 73mm wide BSA (threaded). 2) 73mm wide x 46mm ID press fit.
    If you follow your own link, and read the specs, for the BB it says: "SRAM GXP, outboard bearing." Outboard bearings are by definition outside the BB shell in a cup. That would indicate a threaded bottom bracket. Flip over your bike. If aluminum cups are sticking outside the BB shell they will be obvious. Once you know for sure which BB shell you have, crank and BB recommendations will be easy.
    Thanks for the quick response Chris! I do indeed have those aluminum cups on the outside of the BB shell (the 'outboard' bearings). And yes, it's an alloy frame bike.

There are SRAM GXP cranks on the bike right now.

So -- what bottom bracket does that mean my frame accepts? And what cranksets should I consider?

otb club member
    Thanks for the quick response Chris! I do indeed have those aluminum cups on the outside of the BB shell (the 'outboard' bearings). And yes, it's an alloy frame bike.

There are SRAM GXP cranks on the bike right now.

So -- what bottom bracket does that mean my frame accepts? And what cranksets should I consider?
    Well, you have actually have all kinds of options. Threaded BBs, while not all the rage right now, are actually very reliable and versatile. Santa Cruz has continued to stick with them even on their latest carbon fiber offerings. A lot of tolerance and noise issues won't even come up when going with threads instead of press fit.

So, you can really run any SRAM GXP mountain crank set, any Shimano Hollowetech 2 mountain crankset, and there are even some BB30 crank sets that you can run.

I think that you already mentioned wanting to go with a 10 spd cassette, but did not mention how many rings you want up front. Once you know what your drive train preference is, you can start comparing the different offerings for their respective strong points and prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, you have actually have all kinds of options. Threaded BBs, while not all the rage right now, are actually very reliable and versatile. Santa Cruz has continued to stick with them even on their latest carbon fiber offerings. A lot of tolerance and noise issues won't even come up when going with threads instead of press fit.

So, you can really run any SRAM GXP mountain crank set, any Shimano Hollowetech 2 mountain crankset, and there are even some BB30 crank sets that you can run.

I think that you already mentioned wanting to go with a 10 spd cassette, but did not mention how many rings you want up front. Once you know what your drive train preference is, you can start comparing the different offerings for their respective strong points and prices.
    I'd like a 3x10 setup or a 2x10 setup with a bashguard. In terms of price point... ~$200 would be ideal (bottom bracket included). I'm not too worried about weight -- I'd prefer durability over lighter weight components.

I'm confused -- just because I have the aluminum cups doesn't necessarily mean my bottom bracket is threaded, does it? Couldn't it be an outboard PF30, like this BB?

What sort of tools am I going to need to take off the outboard BB? Will I need a bearing press?

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

otb club member
    I'm confused -- just because I have the aluminum cups doesn't necessarily mean my bottom bracket is threaded, does it? Couldn't it be an outboard PF30, like this BB?

What sort of tools am I going to need to take off the outboard BB? Will I need a bearing press?
    It's unlikely you have an adapter BB. The cups shape differences are fairly obvious. I'd be glad to verify if you want to post a pic of the actual cups in the frame. For threaded cups, you need an outboard cup wrench. We make a fancy one with some design advantages, but a standard stamped steel one will suit your purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility-obbct2_front1c.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It's unlikely you have an adapter BB. The cups shape differences are fairly obvious. I'd be glad to verify if you want to post a pic of the actual cups in the frame. For threaded cups, you need an outboard cup wrench. We make a fancy one with some design advantages, but a standard stamped steel one will suit your purposes.
    Sick! I have one of the stamped steel ones.

I'm going to remove my crankset and BB tonight and take photos.

I'm guessing I'm going to need a torque wrench when I put it all back together?

otb club member
    Sick! I have one of the stamped steel ones.

I'm going to remove my crankset and BB tonight and take photos.

I'm guessing I'm going to need a torque wrench when I put it all back together?
    Well, a torque wrench is ideal, and we did make our tool compatible. However, your stamped wrench won't be compatible. Truth is, most do not use a torque wrench. In lieu of a torque wrench, use some blue Loctite on the threads and tighten firmly by hand using the wrench you have and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, a torque wrench is ideal, and we did make our tool compatible. However, your stamped wrench won't be compatible. Truth is, most do not use a torque wrench. In lieu of a torque wrench, use some blue Loctite on the threads and tighten firmly by hand using the wrench you have and you'll be fine.
    I spoke too soon Chris -- I actually don't have the bottom bracket removal tool. I got the crankset off and checked with the bike's original owner -- it's the stock 'custom' SRAM S-1250 with GXP spindle.

Does that mean I can use any GXP crankset (like this Truvativ X9 10-speed triple)? What specification does that make my bottom bracket?

otb club member
    I spoke too soon Chris -- I actually don't have the bottom bracket removal tool. I got the crankset off and checked with the bike's original owner -- it's the stock 'custom' SRAM S-1250 with GXP spindle.

Does that mean I can use any GXP crankset (like this Truvativ X9 10-speed triple)? What specification does that make my bottom bracket?
    If the spindle of the removed crank set is 24mm on the drive side, and the OD of the splined end of the spindle (non-drive side) is 22mm, then you do indeed have a GXP crank set. That also means you have a GXP bottom bracket. That would also mean that you can run that X9 crank set you linked to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You have a threaded bottom bracket. You can use SRAM (GXP) or Shimano bottom brackets on that bike with no modifications and no fancy tools other than the ones pictured above. The only "secret" you need to know that isn't explained well anywhere, is that SRAM GXP BBs work with SRAM GXP cranksets and Shimano BBs work with Shimano cranksets. Either will go on your bike, you'll just need a new BB if you change brands. The only SRAM/Shimano cranksets you should NOT get are BB30 or PF30. Because they are retarded. And because their spindles are a different diameter.
    In summary, you're over thinking this. If you can get the cranks off, you can get a threaded BB off.

And finally, all press fit BBs are stupid. You start with threaded BBs, a simple low maintenance reliable system that any home mechanic can deal with. Then some AHole "Standard Maker" in marketing decides we need something creaky that you need a shop to install for you and that makes Zero discernable difference, but maybe looks slick on a spec sheet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You have a threaded bottom bracket. You can use SRAM (GXP) or Shimano bottom brackets on that bike with no modifications and no fancy tools other than the ones pictured above. The only "secret" you need to know that isn't explained well anywhere, is that SRAM GXP BBs work with SRAM GXP cranksets and Shimano BBs work with Shimano cranksets. Either will go on your bike, you'll just need a new BB if you change brands. The only SRAM/Shimano cranksets you should NOT get are BB30 or PF30. Because they are retarded. And because their spindles are a different diameter.
    In summary, you're over thinking this. If you can get the cranks off, you can get a threaded BB off.

And finally, all press fit BBs are stupid. You start with threaded BBs, a simple low maintenance reliable system that any home mechanic can deal with. Then some AHole "Standard Maker" in marketing decides we need something creaky that you need a shop to install for you and that makes Zero discernable difference, but maybe looks slick on a spec sheet.
    Well let's talk recommendations then. I'm either going 3x10 or 1x10 -- I'd like to keep the cost around $200 with cranks and BB. Is that a reasonable target?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Should not be hard to come close to that.
    First questions:
    1. Do you want some kind of bash guard?
    2. Does the bike have ISCG tabs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Should not be hard to come close to that.
    First questions:
    1. Do you want some kind of bash guard?
    2. Does the bike have ISCG tabs?
    Bashguard and chain tensioner would be great, but totally optional in my effort to keep this upgrade <200. I'm replacing the cassette and chain as well -- it's adding up fast.

As for ISCG tabs, how can I check?
    Last edited by mrscarface; 09-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    just keep your existing GXP BB crankset and get a new aftermarket bottom bracket. this will give you a nice bang for the buck. I own a Real World Cycling Ceramic Bottom bracket now for like 5 years. Just got a new crankset last year and kept the old RWC over the new stock as it was still smoother than the new cheap one is. the Bit of weight a newer/better crankset will be less noticeable than the bearings will be. and you can spend a little extra and get a better set that way. Even if a few rings are worn on your cranks you can replace those and still stay well in your budget over getting a whole new crankset. And honestly, the cheaper heavier cranksets are in most cases actually more durable than the pricer/lighter/higher end ones.

about the only issue is if it's a Single Speed only cranks.. which most of those SRAM makes are just 2x cranks with a bash bolted on instead of the outer ring.. replace with a ring and you have your 2x..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast