mtbr member
    May 2004

bottom bracket smoothness - external vs. internal

My bike has a XT crankset with with the external or outboard bearings. My old bike has the internal bottom bracket (coda cranks with shimano BB). Last night I had the chain off the XT crankset and was just spinning it by hand to see how smooth it is. Then I did the same check on my older cannondale with the internal bottom bracket. The difference in smoothness was very noticible with my older internal crankset being much smoother. Neither crankset was loose it was just that the older internal set spun much smoother. The bottom bracket with the XT crankset was faced before installation and only has about 500 miles at the most on it. I am not a big guy either -- probably about 155lbs with gear.

Anyone else experience this? Could there be an issue with the XT crankset?
    Last edited by eman2; 10-19-2005 at 09:53 AM.

pronounced may-duh
    Could be time to service or replace the bearings.

mechmann_mtb
    my shimano external BB was pretty tight when i first got it. the LBS said that it was good though. i wound up disassembling the cranks to play around with my chainrings and in the process i think i reassembled the cranks with a little less preload. they are much smoother now. they also have almost 200 miles on them now too, i am sure that it takes a while for the grease to move to the right spots.