The Turbo Blaster

Bottom bracket size

I'm planning on rebuilding a 1995 Stumpjumper, but I'm not sure how to figure out what size and type of bottom bracket to use. Can anyone help?

If you're starting with just the frame, measure the bottom bracket shell's width (probably 68 or 73mm) and then buy the appropriate bottom bracket with that spec in mind for the crank you want to use. Likewise, if you're using the same crankset you need to know that bottom bracket shell width as well as the recommended spindle length for the crankset. If you're buying an external bearing type crankset then they come with a fixed spindle and spacers to setup on either a 68 or 73 mm shell.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_spin
    I'm planning on rebuilding a 1995 Stumpjumper, but I'm not sure how to figure out what size and type of bottom bracket to use. Can anyone help?
    What size is the bottom bracket width? I'm looking for this information if you have it.

Like my older post says....

I haven't posted much since my last post here, but the email caught my eye. Get out your ruler and measure the width of the bottom bracket shell on the bike, offhand I don't know what that frame has, but it's likely a 68 or 73 mm (more likely the 68). Then you have to consider what crankset you're going to use; if you get an older style crankset with a bottom bracket cartridge you'll need to know the spindle length to match the crankset (varies with specific crankset). If you get one of the newer external bearing type cranksets it will come with spacers for either a 68 mm or 73 mm shell and you will not have to worry about the spindle length, it's fixed. One note, that bottom bracket spindle length is measured in the same direction (along the same axis) as the shell width, which sounds a bit confusing. If you're using the original crankset, pull out the old bottom bracket cartridge and look at the measurements that are likely printed or stamped on it, or measure it, or just take that bottom bracket with you to the shop and let them match it for you. Go to the Park Tool website for instructions too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique