mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bottom Bracket rough = replace?

I have been riding an IRD QB-75 "Quad" bottom bracket for over a year now. I bought it because it was lighter than Shimano, and is about the only option between the $20 Shimano and the $100+ Phil Wood or WI models.

While swapping the cranks between my bikes this weekend, the IRD felt dry and "draggy" when I turned the spindle by hand. Since this is a sealed bearing BB, does this mean it's all done and should be replaced?

I already have another IRD I'm going to use, but now I'm already looking ahead. Is my best option to just pony up the the $100+ units to be happy? Or alternatively, is over a year on a $45 BB reasonable and possibly cost effective?

Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    Are you using a pressure washer on your bike, those BB's are pretty durable but nothing is sealed from a pressure washer.

The IRD should last much longer than a year so either you got a lemon or your doing something wrong

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Are you using a pressure washer on your bike, those BB's are pretty durable but nothing is sealed from a pressure washer.

The IRD should last much longer than a year so either you got a lemon or your doing something wrong
    No pressure washer. I rarely clean my bike actually. I have gone through some creeks though.

Stiff yet compliant
    Even if they are "sealed" often you can pop the seal out without damaging it and expose the bearings. If the bearings are rusted or pitted you are probably better off replacing. They may just need to be cleaned and re-lubed.