mtbr member
    May 2013

Bottom bracket replacement question

I used to know everything about MTB in the nineties but drifted away with a new family life. Now that I come back, I'm a bit lost, especially on the bottom bracket question.

I recently bought a nice used 2008 Kona Cinder Cone to replace my aging 1999 Cinder Cone. It's a pretty nice bike but not a race bike so I would need to do a few upgrades to make it worthwhile. One of the areas I plan to upgrade is to change for a 2x10 crank (I'm eyeing a Truvativ X0 2x10 crankset). However, after looking at offers and reading the details, it seems it require a GXP bottom bracket.

From what Bikepedia say, my bike come with the FSA Alpha Drive Exo with a FSA Powerdrive bottom bracket. I believe it's a custom 68mm bottom bracket. So if I want to change the crankset, I'm sure it need a new BB but I don't know which BB to get. I think the BB shell is threaded and the threading is standard across all threaded BB (no way to add a press fit BB30 so that rule out a few cranksets). What remain is to find out which bottom bracket to get and what is a good suggestion for a reliable/light BB ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah it's a threaded bb. English threads. Most cranks also come with a BB these days though. Or should. Shimano and Race Face do. I would recommend Shimano cranks. Cant go wrong with a Shimano crank and BB. They just work. And their rings shift the best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, if you buy a Truvativ or SRAM crank, you'll need the GXP bottom bracket.
    Merlin has the Truvativ AKA double with GXP BB for under $80 right now. It has the removable spider.
    Truvativ AKA Chainset & Bottom Bracket | Chainsets - MTB | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wow, that's a interesting deal there, very tempted to buy it. There isn't a lot of reviews thought so I'd like to hear more about that.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Additionnally, it seems the crankset is a 2x10 one. My rear drivetrain is a 9-spd cassette (not sure about teeth specs, probably 11-30 or 11-32) with a Deore LX derailleur so I wonder if I can use a 2x10 crankset with a 9-spd chain or i need to replace the whole drivetrain ?

If I replace the drivetrain, I did shop and a full X9 set with 11-36 cassette is 336$ without a crank then get the Truvativ AKA from Merlin.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    After some googling, it seems that using a 10-spd crankset with a 9-spd drivetrain is ok (some suggest to change the front derailleur and shifter and chain to make it work fine). I decided to buy the Truvativ AKA crankset anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just installed my AKA 180mm crankset from Merlin and it is marked as a 9 speed crankset. Doesn't matter to me, I'm running 1X9.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's good to know ! I cannot wait to get them and install on mine.