mtbr member
    Apr 2005

bottom bracket problems,!~

HI, im installing a new bottom bracket in a frame that im building but the issue is that the bottom goes all the way in if you look it from the top it goes all they way in but if you are looking it from the bottom the bottom bracket does not goes all they way in, there is like 1 cm out... Its ok to use it like that..??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    HI, im installing a new bottom bracket in a frame that im building but the issue is that the bottom goes all the way in if you look it from the top it goes all they way in but if you are looking it from the bottom the bottom bracket does not goes all they way in, there is like 1 cm out... Its ok to use it like that..??
    You're saying that the BB cup is flush against the frame when viewed from the top, but that there's a one centimeter (!!!) gap when viewed from the bottom?

Did you really mean centimeters? I could imagine there being perhaps a 1 mm gap if the BB shell has not been faced or if you managed to cross-thread the cup, but a whole centimeter???

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hi, its mm, sorry about that and yes that what i mean,...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    hi, its mm, sorry about that and yes that what i mean,...
    Okay, no problem. As you could tell from my previous message I was having trouble picturing a 1 cm gap.

Back to your problem...

Has the bottom bracket shell been faced? If so, that's good. If not, that could be the problem. If you have access to a caliper, you can measure the width of the top and bottom of the BB shell to make sure that these widths are the same. If the BB shell needs work (facing), based upon your earlier comments, I'd expect the top to be about 1mm wider than the bottom.

When you were threading the BB cup on, did it thread on easily at the beginning, or was it hard to screw on from beginning to end? If it was hard to screw on from beginning to end, I suspect that it may not have been threaded on correctly. Try taking that cup off and threading it on again. Take a close look at the threads to make sure that they still look okay.