eat your porridge jordie

Bottom bracket play

I somehow cracked the top 1/4" off of the threads on the spindle that came with my bike. I had the bottom bracket from my old walmart bike, and it turns out the bearings were in better shape than the Schwinn bearings. I got the bb all together, greased up, and good to go. I tightened the cone to what I thought was good, and there was no play in the spindle. I then tightened the lockring which cinched the cone down a little. I put the cranks on, and took it for a spin around the block. At first everything was great, until I got back. There was then considerable play in the spindle. I tightened up the cone again, and it went away. It seems like something keeps loosening up even though the cone is not moving (lockring is tight). What could be the problem?

eat your porridge jordie
    Just wondering... the bearings on this BB were cage type. Is it possible to install these backwards? When I put them in I put the ball side facing into each other, it looked to seat best on the cones.

eat your porridge jordie
    Hmmmm. Can I use the loose bearings out of the cage? I've got 2 cages from my old bike and 2 cages from the schwinn. I need to figure something out here, this is ride-inhibiting.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry can't help your so far off in rebuild land that you might as well try??