mtbr member
    May 2011

Bottom Bracket install question

I am re-installing my BB for the first time. I am having an issue with the spindles tightening up as I bring the cups up to torque. They still spin smoothly just tighter than when the BB was out. Is this normal?

FSA Powerdrive BB

Tightened the drive side to approx 30 ft lb and then the same on the other side.

Any comments or input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    RTZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    chase and face bb with guided/piloted taps

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rtz999 View Post
    I am re-installing my BB for the first time. I am having an issue with the spindles tightening up as I bring the cups up to torque. They still spin smoothly just tighter than when the BB was out. Is this normal?

FSA Powerdrive BB

Tightened the drive side to approx 30 ft lb and then the same on the other side.

Any comments or input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    RTZ
    Pretty much normal. And no need to face the bb shell. The Power Drive is a sealed cartridge bottom bracket. There is no way an imperfect shell face can affect the bottom bracket body unless it is really wacked out. If we were talking an external bearing BB then I would agree with reptilezs and say get it faced. What you are experiencing with the bb out and turning the spindle you are actually using both hands, the one holding the bb body and the one turning the spindle to turn it. Even though you may not be moving the hand holding the body, you are still using the strength of that hand to hold it still. This will reduce the "felt" amount of force used to turn the spindle as it is spread over both hands. Once the bb is in the shell you are only using one hand to turn the spindle so it feels tighter.

What you are feeling is the stiffness of the seals, they are new and will produce some drag. You won't feel it when riding, and the drag will become less as the seals break in. So install your cranks and go ride. You shouldn't have a problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

Squash to clarify: This is not a new BB. I have been chasing down some clicking noises and decided to clean and re-assemble the BB, Cranks, etc. But, I think your comments still apply. I agree that it should not be an issue when peddling, I just didn't want to damage the BB.

Thank you again.