Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bottom Bracket Grease??

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  markymark 
#1 ·
I have a Heckler that has had a persistent on-power creak for a while now. At this point, I've rebuilt literally the entire bike attempting to fix it, with the exception of the headset and fork. I swear I think the creak is coming from the either the bb or crankset, but it's always tough to tell.

I last rebuilt the bottom bracket and crank w/ Rock n' Roll Red Devil grease. Is this good grease to use? I know it's more of an all purpose grease, but since the creak is still occurring after the rebuild I'm wondering if I should have used something else.

#3 ·
it's probably best to use anti-seize on the BB cups, though heavy duty grease works fine too.
whenever I have a persistent BB creak, I'll use anti-seize + a few wraps of teflon pipe tape... this has worked for many a frame.:thumbsup:

That said, creaks can come from so many places, especially a FS bike, it can be a real pain to track them down!:madman:
mwcet8k said:
I have a Heckler that has had a persistent on-power creak for a while now. At this point, I've rebuilt literally the entire bike attempting to fix it, with the exception of the headset and fork. I swear I think the creak is coming from the either the bb or crankset, but it's always tough to tell.

I last rebuilt the bottom bracket and crank w/ Rock n' Roll Red Devil grease. Is this good grease to use? I know it's more of an all purpose grease, but since the creak is still occurring after the rebuild I'm wondering if I should have used something else.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I also thought it could be the pedals, so I rebuilt them. I also made sure the pedal/crank threads were well greased. No improvement.

Regarding the der hanger, you're referring to older Hecklers with the combined dropout/hanger, right? I've got the latest gen with the dropout integrated into the swingarm and the hanger as its own separate part.

One more question I posted in another forum - the SC website recommends loctite 680 between the rear suspension pivot bearings and the frame. I couldn't find this anywhere, so I used what I think is the equivalent from Permatex when I rebuilt it. Again, after rebuilding I couldn't tell a difference. This is what I used:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...Permatex_High_Temperature_Sleeve_Retainer.htm

I assume this stuff is ok?

#9 ·
Ok, well the next step is to use anti-seize and teflon tape on the BB. Man I hope this takes care of it. One of the reasons I bought a single pivot bike is to minimize unwanted noises and this has been an issue since the bike was about three weeks old.

#10 ·
If you want a quiet bike, get a steel rigid forked hardtail singlespeed - the silence is deafening (and golden).

One of my mates obsesses about creaks in his blur, almost to the point of insanity. Once they get inside your head you are done for :crazy: .

He strips it down every couple of weeks and has tried every grease and compund known to man. The most successful so far has been COPPER GREASE ANTI SEAZE COMPOUND. You aren't meant to use it, but he does and it works great.

And washing a creaky bike always makes the creaks worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.