mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bottom Bracket got Dunked in a Stream

On my ride yesterday I had at least one stream crossing deep enough to submerge my bottom bracket, and several deep enough to at least get my feet wet. The bottom bracket is a Raceface X-type (Ride XC) with so-called sealed bearings. How bad is it if some water got in there? Should I pull off the cranks and inspect the bearings and add grease if necessary, or just ignore it? I would need to get a crank puller since this crankset doesn't have the One Key system. The BB spins just slightly rough right now.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Most BB's will not be easily serviceable from a repacking bearings with grease point of view. Removing the BB and regreasing the shell is good, as is drying the BB itself. You may be able to get some heavy/wet lube to penetrate the seals and help to keep it moving. I've found chain-l to be good here as its thick enough to stay in there and not dilute any grease which is still inside.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

MTB B'dos
    Once you can get the cranks off those BBs are actually pretty easy to get at and service, once you're patient and gentle with it. Search this forum for XT BBs, someone did a little tutorial on how to do a service on them. Something else you might want to keep an eye on if you submerged your BB is if you have a full suspension bike, did the pivots also get submerged? Also, if you got that deep, did you also submerge the hub?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I know the hubs didn't get submerged. A couple of the pivots probably did, but I'm not as worried about those since they are not spinning all the time so they are probably less likely to wear out.

Today I walked around a ride through a lake that would have fully submerged the hubs. It was tempting, but I don't have cone wrenches to do the work, and I don't have time to be servicing the hubs and BB.
    Matt

MTB B'dos
    Believe me when I tell you, that no matter that pivot bearings don't make big rotations, it is in fact this that causes them to sieze up and it makes a notable difference in how the bikes suspension feels and rides. I learned this lesson back in '07 with my new FS after doing same as you in a 70 mile race and then just kept riding the bike, when I pulled it all down the bearings were siezed and suspension was creaking and not working worth shite, so do yourself a favour and pull it down and pull the seals off the bearings and check them.
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    I know the hubs didn't get submerged. A couple of the pivots probably did, but I'm not as worried about those since they are not spinning all the time so they are probably less likely to wear out.

Today I walked around a ride through a lake that would have fully submerged the hubs. It was tempting, but I don't have cone wrenches to do the work, and I don't have time to be servicing the hubs and BB.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hmmm I regularly ride through creeks and get the BB and hubs wet....

I don't do anything at all to fix them.

I get about a year on the BB maybe 2 years on the hubs. winter and summer riding.

MTB B'dos
    Personally have had my WTB hub/wheels since '07 and they're still going strong and had my Pro2/Flow wheels for 3 years now, still going strong. Not sure what hubs you're replacing, but for me that'd be a bit too much wasted $$ outlay too regularly. Yiu should try doing some regular maintenance on them and you might be surprised how long they could last you
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Hmmm I regularly ride through creeks and get the BB and hubs wet....

I don't do anything at all to fix them.

I get about a year on the BB maybe 2 years on the hubs. winter and summer riding.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Personally have had my WTB hub/wheels since '07 and they're still going strong and had my Pro2/Flow wheels for 3 years now, still going strong. Not sure what hubs you're replacing, but for me that'd be a bit too much wasted $$ outlay too regularly. Yiu should try doing some regular maintenance on them and you might be surprised how long they could last you
    I am still running Crossmax SLR from 2007 with an XT Hollowtech II BB from 07 as well.

I just replace the bearings no big deal....