Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Bottom Bracket compatibality question

My bottom bracket is starting to get worn and I'm not sure which bottom brackets will work on my bike. "TruVativ Giga-X, pipe billet" was the original bottom bracket and the crank is a Truvativ stylo. I asked the guy at the local shop to order it and I don't believe he did so I'll just fix it myself. I'm very good mechanically, helped rebuild car engines, so I'm not worried about the mechanics, but part compatibality. Could you explain to me how I can figure out which bottom brackets are compatible. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here you go....

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=346 The first two bottom brackets in the second row should be compatable with your cranks. They come in different sizes. Match the size to your current bb and you should be good. The first number listed in the size charts is the shell width, this corresponds to the housing width of your frame, the second is the spindle width. This should also be printed or impinted somewhere on the bb you have now. Like I said, just match up the numbers and you should be good to go.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I believe my bottom bracket has external bearings at the moment. Is there an advantage to what I'm using now? The lbs owner said I would probably have to replace the bb twice a season and if there's no significant advantage I would rather install something a little more durable. The bottom bracket you posted doesn't look anything like what's in it. It looks similar to this http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/164...acket-2007.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Unless your BB is getting a lot more abuse than it would get under "normal riding conditions" or you are putting on a lot of miles, I don't see why your lbs would tell you it would need to be replaced it twice a year. External BBs can be problematic if the bottom bracket shell is not perfectly square with the bearings. If you remove your BB bearing cups and there is paint on your frame where the BB cups meet, your BB shell was probably not properly faced. You will probably want to have it faced (your lbs should be able to do this for you) before installing another BB. I'm guessing this is your BB. I'm not sure about compatability between brands of external bearing BBs.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Yea that looks exactly like my bottom bracket. When they told me the bb would have to be replaced twice a year it stunned me at first. I rode my Yukon for 2 years without touching anything. Is there anyway to convert what I have to a normal bottom bracket? I'm guessing the conversion would require a new crankset. I'm not ready to do this, but I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.
    Edit: Will riding my bike when the crank is starting to get some slack harmful in any way? I'm just wondering if I need to replace it asap.

mtbr member
    Wobbly cranks need replacing asap. no point risking being miles form anywhere with seized cranks.

You could revert back to Square taper cranks, but as you say, would need new cranks and a new BB.
    Stick with what you got. Replacing a BB is inexpensive, and a relatively small costing. Most* external BB's will give several thousand miles performance before dying anyway.

*as long as the BB shell has been faced

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ahhh, I didn't understand....

that you had the external bearing type, missed the X for some reason. It's very economical to simply replace the bearings if you have the tools, or the entire bearing and cup set if you don't, with the GXP type bottom bracket. There is an upgrade that I have found is very worth while from Enduro. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id180.html You can go with simply the steel bearing kit and install them in your current cups for $19.50, do the Ceramic Hybrid bearings for $69.99, or do the full upgrade to Ceramic with cups and center spacer for $105. Anyway you go it's cheaper than a new crankset of the same quality. The only draw back is Enduro doesn't yet offer just the cup and bearing set in chrome steel. The chrome steel option is only available currently as a bearing only upgrade. The seal system used by Enduro is superior to Truvative, Race Face, FSA and Shimano systems. Though the Shimano system seems to work the best of them currently. We've even gone to replacing external cup bearings at the shop with the Enduros. It's a good deal for the customer. We bought the bearing press set and have been rebuilding them (installing new bearings) ever since. The customer just pays for the bearings and a small labor charge for the rebuild and install. Doesn't take that long either.

The bearing press kit is a pretty hefty investment for the home mechanic though at $110. But once purchased you could extend the life of your crank/bb for a long time! As long as they keep making bearings for your system you could keep rebuilding it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. I will probably post back here again when I'm ready to purchase the press Squash. I just purchased the bike and I need to do some repairs on the bike before I purchase another large item.

whistler
    Mar 2004

new bb

i ride on the bc coast (shore, whistler, etc), so its really wet. we have the best luck up here with shimano bb's, but unfortunately you have a truvativ crankset. shimano, raceface, and fsa external bb's are all interchangeable. truvativ uses a different size, so you're stuck with it. before buying a new bb, i'd suggest getting some quality waterproof bearing grease and re-lubing the "sealed" cartridge bearings. with the bb still in the bike, all you have to do is removed the cranks, pry off the bearing outer seal carefully with a utility knife, and pack a bunch of grease in. simply press the seal back with your fingers, reinstall the cranks, and off you go. you'll get lots more life out of your bb's this way. truvativ gxp cranksets don't tend to last very long (they develop play if not installed properly), so you might also consider an xt crankset (extremely simple installation) in the future when yours dies. good luck.