mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bottom bracket bearings seized, cranks wouldn't spin... but now seem ok.

Hi,

I have a 17' Trek Fuel EX with Shimano drivetrain. The bottom bracket is press fit. A couple of weeks ago I went on a ride and long story short the bike was partially submerged in a lake. When I got home a few days later the cranks wouldn't spin in reverse, but would spin forward with some feedback.

I disconnected the chain to verify it was the bottom bracket bearings. I also removed the cranks. The brake side bearing was pretty much seized. I called the bike shop to order a new PF BB. A couple of days later I put the cranks back on and was surprised to see that the cranks spin freely... albeit with a little friction going in reverse. I could pretty much ride the bike like this.

Should I have the BB replaced anyways? or should I continue riding it in its current state? I'm somewhat worried about a crappy BB install by the shop.

thanks!

Merendon Junkie
    If you submerged the bike for a significant amount of time and didnt clean and relube the bearings as soon as you got home, then the bearings that were submerged are pretty much toast. I would order new bearings, or at least take them apart, clean and repack them with fresh grease. Repacking them will extend their life a bit but the damage has been done, those bearings and races and most likely rusted and pitted. Same for the bearings in your hubs.

Cheers

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    "Long story short"...replace the bottom bracket.

MTB B'dos
    What happened was a common occurrence, your NDS (non drive side) BB bearing seized, more than likely not from being submerged, but from you then probably washing the bike down with a high pressure nozzle and pushing water into the bearing. What has now happened is you broke the bearings free of the rust and now it will spin, but it basically is spinning metal on metal/rust, which is not a good thing, I'd at least remove the seal and check them out and clean and re-pack.

If your DS (drive side) bearing is good, then I'd only replace the NDS bearing and keep the other as a spare, because the NDS bearing is the one that always goes quickest with those cranks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok thanks guys... I was under the impression that I couldn't take apart the seal/bearing/assembly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd worry that you could spin the bearing housing in the frame and wreck your frame.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    ok thanks guys... I was under the impression that I couldn't take apart the seal/bearing/assembly?
    Many"sealed bearings" can be opened up, cleaned, and regreased by carefully using a small pick or tiny screwdriver to pull the seal out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Many"sealed bearings" can be opened up, cleaned, and regreased by carefully using a small pick or tiny screwdriver to pull the seal out.
    ok I'll throw it on the stand again tomorrow and see if I can pull the seal. If not the shop is supposed to get a new BB in this week some time. Thanks!