mtbr member
    Dec 2005

boring low-end parts thread

my wife is getting a new entry level fs mt bike. 05 jamis dakar to be exact. the front and rear deraillurs (sp?) are alivio (front) and deore (rear). I can for free or very cheap upgrade those parts to a slightly used deore front and LX rear. Even worth the upgrade? i'm sure weight won't change much if at all, but what about shifting performance?

Freshly Fujified

Define "slightly used"

Quote Originally Posted by unsuspended
    my wife is getting a new entry level fs mt bike. 05 jamis dakar to be exact. the front and rear deraillurs (sp?) are alivio (front) and deore (rear). I can for free or very cheap upgrade those parts to a slightly used deore front and LX rear. Even worth the upgrade? i'm sure weight won't change much if at all, but what about shifting performance?
    I'm wary on this one to be honest. My biggest concern would be putting used parts on a brand new drivetrain. What is "slightly used", and who is providing the parts? If it's the bike store that you are purchasing the bike from, the parts are truly in very good shape, and they'll swap it out free of charge, I'm listening. More than likely, this isn't the case.

As for performance difference, I'm not sure how much difference there will be, but if I had the choice, I'd take the Deore/LX combo over the Alivio/Deore combo. My guess is that you'll probably see the biggger difference in the front derailleur. Front derailleurs are a pet peeve for me, and I would want at least the Deore (if not LX or XT) up front.

Just my twisted thoughts.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the parts are off of a friend's 04 rockhopper comp. he never rides and the bike itself probably has less than 100 miles on/off road. i would be keeping the 8-speed cassette on back so I will not have to change the shifters. all this is work that I could do myself.

mtbr member
    not worth the effort. keep the parts for spares, but leave the existing parts alone until they break.

when upgrades are desired, go straight for a higher end part, the xt, xtr or a road derailler. lx is fine for a front derailler.

aside from keeping the drivetrain clean, lubed and well adjusted, good shifting is about technique: shift into the gear you need before you need it. "soft pedal" to help shift. use the rear derailler to help shift the front set by minimizing chain x-over. overshift when needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if it's going to cost next-to-nothing, i'd do it. but don't expect any significant improvement in shift quality, as already explained. the better components should last longer, and look sweeter.

mind you, if your wife is only doing light recreational riding, you could argue it's not worth doing.

as a tinkerer myself, i can't help upgrading parts when i can. although i do go by what drunkle also suggested: making any upgrade a decent one rather than a small one.

also bare in mind if the alevio FD is an E-type (secured on the bike via the BB). if you change to a traditional clamp-type (onto the seattube) you will need to acquire a spacer for the BB. just a minor hassle, but a hassle none-the-less.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    If you get the parts, install them. The rear derailleur is going to make more of a difference than the front. In the front the derailleus is brely half of the quiation, the quality and shift gates/ramps/pins on the chainrings are at least as important as the derailleur. New deraileurs on an old drive train is not a problem as the deraileurs are not under any drive tension or torque but a worn chain is a lot more laterally flexable so the shifting will suffer unless the the drivetrain(Chain, rings, cassette) is replaced at the same time. Set up properly it will still shift better than the alivio. Also, if the front derailleur is stock it's not E-type so you don't need to be concerned about it.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_dakar.html

The Deore front derailleur is a big improvement over the Alivio but for the rear I don't think you'll get more bang for the buck than the $35 XT at jensonusa.com
    Off season? What off season?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The rest of the bike has been spec'd lower level, so why not leave the derailleurs as they are, or get the next level up Dakar. The shifters are Alivio too, but they will shift just fine IMO. Just let her ride the bike as is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the opinoins. i talked with my lbs guy and he pretty much said the same thing about upgrading as needed. the only things I am going to swich out for her the wire scorpions to a pair of kevlar fire pros, a speed she saddle, and her eggbeaters rather than the spds. She does ride (and crash) enough where maybe other upgrades might not be too far in the future. i really need to do something about the 5lb splice sitting on the front of the bike though, she'll never break that.