mtbr member
    May 2004

Bolt sizing for use w/ only one chainring?

Hello,

When you look at chainring bolts at places like SRP etc., they list a BMX 10 piece Ti or Alum bolt set. I'm guessing it's "BMX" because there is only one chainring in the front, which probably makes the bolts a bit shorter, correct? I have a Rohloff hub and only use one outer ring.

Do you guys think the shorter BMX bolts are what I need? I've ordered two sets from SRP, but I did not request the "BMX" bolts. I did measure the steel bolts I'm using now, and I thought they were 8mm - I think I may have been off a mm or so. Are the BMX bolts generally 7mm in length?

Thanks,

SDW

All 26.5" all the time!
    It's the nuts that are generally shorter on BMX/track chainring bolt sets.

If you end up with a bolt set for a double crankset, you can use 10mm x 3mm tall axle spacers (from Wheels Mfg.) behind the longer, 'double' length nut, to fasten a single ring.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by swalters
    Hello,

When you look at chainring bolts at places like SRP etc., they list a BMX 10 piece Ti or Alum bolt set. I'm guessing it's "BMX" because there is only one chainring in the front, which probably makes the bolts a bit shorter, correct? I have a Rohloff hub and only use one outer ring.

Do you guys think the shorter BMX bolts are what I need? I've ordered two sets from SRP, but I did not request the "BMX" bolts. I did measure the steel bolts I'm using now, and I thought they were 8mm - I think I may have been off a mm or so. Are the BMX bolts generally 7mm in length?

Thanks,

SDW
    I have two leftover BMX chainring bolts in the parts bin. One has 8mm threads and one has 6mm threads. Both have 5mm nuts. The remaining 4 of each are in service holding single middle rings to std mtb cranks. The one with 8mm threads will just reach a little further into the nut. For a single ring, BMX bolts are what you need unless you want to run spacers like the other poster mentioned.

Four of those bolts are here:

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    May 2004

So there really is no standard sized..........

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I have two leftover BMX chainring bolts in the parts bin. One has 8mm threads and one has 6mm threads. Both have 5mm nuts. The remaining 4 of each are in service holding single middle rings to std mtb cranks. The one with 8mm threads will just reach a little further into the nut. For a single ring, BMX bolts are what you need unless you want to run spacers like the other poster mentioned.

BMX bolt, as you have a 6mm and an 8mm, correct? Bolts I ordered from SRP were 8mm, I believe, and they did not fit. I suppose I will order a set of either 6 or 7 mm - that should do it.

Thanks,
    SDW

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky

That's one kick-ass cruiser you got there, Kathy.

Want to vent?
    6mm is single
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"