Preemptive Revenger

Boeshield T-9 Experience?

A month ago I put a new SRAM chain on my XTR 9-speed. Before doing so, I cleaned the chain for a few minutes in Simple Green to get the packaging grease off, then I rinsed thoroughly with water to get all the Simple Green out, then I sprayed liberally with WD-40 to get the water out, then I hung the chain to dry. Then, after a couple of days, I applied a couple of generous coats of Boeshield, let dry, and wiped off the excess.

For the next few rides, let's say 10 hours worth of riding, my chain worked perfectly, without cleaning or additional lube. Riding conditions were all dry. I started to love Boeshield!

Then, today, I went for a ride. I was caught out in a little rainstorm, and within 30 minutes of the chain getting wet, my chain started to chain suck. Basically, the lube stopped working.

My question is: is this a typical experience for Boeshield? Is it really so wonderful in the dry? Is it really so worthless in the wet?

Thanks
    Tom
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    A month ago I put a new SRAM chain on my XTR 9-speed. Before doing so, I cleaned the chain for a few minutes in Simple Green to get the packaging grease off, then I rinsed thoroughly with water to get all the Simple Green out, then I sprayed liberally with WD-40 to get the water out, then I hung the chain to dry. Then, after a couple of days, I applied a couple of generous coats of Boeshield, let dry, and wiped off the excess.

For the next few rides, let's say 10 hours worth of riding, my chain worked perfectly, without cleaning or additional lube. Riding conditions were all dry. I started to love Boeshield!

Then, today, I went for a ride. I was caught out in a little rainstorm, and within 30 minutes of the chain getting wet, my chain started to chain suck. Basically, the lube stopped working.

My question is: is this a typical experience for Boeshield? Is it really so wonderful in the dry? Is it really so worthless in the wet?

Thanks
    Tom
    Hey tom, Any chance you were on falcon today? I might have seen you.
    I was recommended t-9 from a friend and ever since I've been trying to find something that works better. But I haven't. That t-9 is perfect for colorado riding. You might have just got some gunk in your chain(it can attract dirt). Doesn't matter what kind of lube you use if dirt gets attracted to chain, than chainsuck can occur. As for the t-9, I would totally recommend it. I've won some muddy ass races using it. I pretty much never clean my chains, just throw more lube on it. chain seems to stretch after about 400 miles but I usually don't have chainsuck issues. The more the merrier right?

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Hey tom, Any chance you were on falcon today? I might have seen you.
    Nahhh...I wish I had ridden Falcon today. I live in Boulder so I only make it down there occasionally. I did a measley 45 minutes on the roads today...the infamous "Poorman Loop".

Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    I've won some muddy ass races using it.
    What class/age group? Are you going to Nathrop?

So do you find Boeshield to last longer in the dry (like it usually is around here)?
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    My experienece also. Great stuff, lasts long, doesn't cake up, but lousy if your ride includes stream crossings.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    The thing I love about T-9 is how just re-applying it cleans your chain somewhat. However, in my experience it needs re-applied every couple (2-3) rides. I think that it doesn't last too long compared to some other products, but if you lube your chain more than that then I'll shutup. It does keep your chain pretty clean, though.

I've used it for years on all my bikes. A rainy ride or a ride with lots of stream crossings can take it off; I carry a small bottle in my pack for epics just in case. I reapply frequently (every other time on the mountain bikes, much less on the road bike) and only real complaint is the crud accumulation on the pulley wheels and that's not much of an issue...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom

Thanks
    Tom
    Well, you made a few mistakes from the start. Sram chains don't come with packing grease, they come with some of the best chain lube you can get. With a new Sram chain, just put it on and ride. I think cleaning and lubing a new chain is what you are suppossed to do with Shimano chains. I know a lot of people use WD-40 on their chains, but I tried it once with poor results. I basically cleaned the chain with WD-40, wiped it down, then put on T9 (I don't remember how long I let it sit between wiping it down and applying the T9). After that, dirt stuck to the chain like it never had before. When you do clean the chain, Simple Green is fine, but Sram advises against letting the chain soak in it (or any other solvent). A few minutes should be fine.

I've been using T9 for a few years now, and have had good results. Under dry conditions I lube roughly every three rides. I lube after any ride where the chain gets really wet (heavy rain, stream crossing, etc). I prefer the spray version over the liquid - it's just faster and easier to apply. Also, you really need to give the T9 time to dry out before riding. At least three hours, but I usually let it sit overnight. If the chain is pretty clean, I just spray on the lube and let it sit. If it is dirty, I'll spray on the lube and then wipe down the chain with a towel before letting it sit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Good job!

Boeshield T9 gets the thimbs up from me. I have been using Prolink fpr a while now but have been using T9 on a trial basis for most of the summer.

The Prolink is defintiely cleaner, but I find it wears off easily and doesn't stand up to water very well at all. Other than these quirks, the Prolink is one of the best lubes I have ever used.

I have been really liking the T9 since switching over. It is a bit messier than Prolink (but still doesnt pick up much dirt) but lasts a lot longer and stands up to water much better. All I do is put it on the night before, let it dry overb\night. Wipe off the excess before my ride and thats it. After a ride, I wipe the chain with a dry cloth. Not being able to put it on right before a ride is the only drawback to this product as I see it, but it is definitely worth the wait.

I find my shifting is much smoother than with the Prolink as well.

Hope this is helpful

K

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only other mistake I can see you made was in using the wd-40 to displace the water instead of wiping the water and letting dry. Unfortunately you're not the only one. If you'd have just wiped down the wet chain with a rag and then left it to dry for about 1/2 hour then applied the lube you'd have been fine (after a time wiping off the excess lube). Any residue left by using the wd-40 would cause the lube to break down and make it last not as long or as effective.

As another poster stated you should have left on the stuff the SRAM chain came with because it's a lube. It' s not like the cosmoline that comes on Shimano chains.

banned
    SRAM uses Gleitmo. If I could get some, I would. It's good stuff.

I have a bottle of Boshield in my tool box. It barely lasts through a single ride. Barely feels like there is any lube on the chain at all, so I went back to Ice Wax and don't worry about a dirty chain.