Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the giant.

Bmx euro bb in mtb frame?

So i want new cranks for my dirt jumper. I was thinking about bmx ones. But i that would require a bmx bb. Can i put the bmx bb in my frame and not have trouble with the spacing? I have an external bb now, and i think ide get another external if i could.

I have raceface ride dh cranks now, and im looking at stolen team cranks (they are indestructable)

AZ
    banned
    I believe what you are seeking is a Conversion BB , might also be called Euro . Try here www.danscomp.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker
    So i want new cranks for my dirt jumper. I was thinking about bmx ones. But i that would require a bmx bb. Can i put the bmx bb in my frame and not have trouble with the spacing? I have an external bb now, and i think ide get another external if i could.

I have raceface ride dh cranks now, and im looking at stolen team cranks (they are indestructable)
    What the BMX world calls "euro" is the standard english threaded BB shell used on most mtbs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I believe what you are seeking is a Conversion BB , might also be called Euro . Try here www.danscomp.com
    Thats where im buying my cranks from. Haha. I came from bmx so danscomp was my main stop for parts.

But would any of the euro bbs work? (with spindle size accounted for of course...)

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    What the BMX world calls "euro" is the standard english threaded BB shell used on most mtbs.
    So it would work fine then?

AZ
    banned
    Thats where im buying my cranks from. Haha. I came from bmx so danscomp was my main stop for parts.

But would any of the euro bbs work? (with spindle size accounted for of course...)

I dont know if they all will work . This subject comes up every couple of months , I would suggest contacting Dans Comp. Once you figure this out , how about posting the details so it can be searched here ?

the giant.
    I dont know if they all will work . This subject comes up every couple of months , I would suggest contacting Dans Comp. Once you figure this out , how about posting the details so it can be searched here ?
    Ill probably give them a call tomorrow. But if they will work, ill make a thread explaining the use of bmx bbs in mtb frames (what kinds there are, and what ones work)

AZ
    banned
    Ill probably give them a call tomorrow. But if they will work, ill make a thread explaining the use of bmx bbs in mtb frames (what kinds there are, and what ones work)

Cool , that would be great . Good luck .

the giant.
    Cool , that would be great . Good luck .
    Yeah. I hope it works out.

29 some of the time...
    Biggest issue I have run into with BMX cranks on the MTB is the spindle length. BMX have narrower chainline, so they typically have a shorter spindle. Unfortunately not all bmx cranks are created equal. Profile offers several different options for spindle length and even ti spindles if you are trying to keep weight down. FSA also has a mtb conversion BB that has an appropriate spindle for MTB chainline. It is also compatible with Profile crank arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Profile racing has a ext. bearing BB for their cranksets...I think intended for MTB use.
    http://profileracing.com/estore2/ind...?productid=359
    whatever...

the giant.
    Profile is a tad over my price range. Because I need e new sprocket and cog along with the cranks and bb.....

I took my old bmx cranks off a bike and the spacing was no problem...hopefully the new ones would work too..

29 some of the time...
    What brand/model are they?

FWIW, profile will work with the bmx spindle width. But the spindle doesn't engage as far into the crank arm. For dirt jump it isn't the best idea to have 1/3rd engagement. I ran mine this way for a couple of months before grabbing a new bb spindle. I did have an MRP chainguide on a Chameleon, if you are running without a guide on a narrower frame you would be able to tuck the arms in a bit closer to it.

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    What brand/model are they?

FWIW, profile will work with the bmx spindle width. But the spindle doesn't engage as far into the crank arm. For dirt jump it isn't the best idea to have 1/3rd engagement. I ran mine this way for a couple of months before grabbing a new bb spindle. I did have an MRP chainguide on a Chameleon, if you are running without a guide on a narrower frame you would be able to tuck the arms in a bit closer to it.
    I'm getting premium 16-s cranks. But I'm single speed and no guide. And ill run the cranks as close to the frame as possible.

All 26.5" all the time!

The "Euro" cups will thread into your frame just fine.

The variables are spindle length and internal tube spacer length depending on--

-BB shell width

-Chainline

-Single/double/triple chainring setup

-Q-factor for crank arm to chainstay clearance

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    The "Euro" cups will thread into your frame just fine.

The variables are spindle length and internal tube spacer length depending on--

-BB shell width

-Chainline

-Single/double/triple chainring setup

-Q-factor for crank arm to chainstay clearance
    I'm running single speed. And the chainline on the hub has plenty of adjustability. So chainline is no problem. Ill measure the bb shell and compare it to my bmx. And make sure I get inside euro bbs to give max spindle usage. I think I covered what you said, and ill do as much research as I can before hand to make sure it will work

All 26.5" all the time!
    I'm running single speed. And the chainline on the hub has plenty of adjustability. So chainline is no problem. Ill measure the bb shell and compare it to my bmx. And make sure I get inside euro bbs to give max spindle usage. I think I covered what you said, and ill do as much research as I can before hand to make sure it will work
    Unless you've got a 73mm BB shell with wide chainstays, you should be able to use a 5 1/2" or 5 5/8" spindle (typical BMX length) without any issues.

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Unless you've got a 73mm BB shell with wide chainstays, you should be able to use a 5 1/2" or 5 5/8" spindle (typical BMX length) without any issues.
    Well I won't have to worry about this anymore...I emailed raceface (I had their cranks and had a problem) and I can get a set of respond cranks for $100 to replace my ride dh cranks (what I have now). And it come complete with bb and alll

the giant.
    well i didnt get the new raceface cranks. and i have a 68mm bb shell. so bmx cranks should be alright? and an outboard bb shouldnt be a problem either?

and i want something thats dh sturdy but still lightweight. profile is an option, but a tad pricery for me. i got alot of things to buy if i convert over...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have you checked out the Deity cranks? They're pretty much bmx but tailored in some small ways to work better with mtb frames and gearing setups. I've had some for a year and love them, been through a lot of abuse and the bb is still tight and smooth. Everything is replaceable and the peeps at Deity are great to talk with if you ever have questions or need help. $189 unless the price has gone up, plus a chainring. They use a 36t spline on the spindle, but there are a couple of those available so you're not stuck with just Deity-brand, and there are several other bb's that will work with it (the Deity bb that comes with it is damn good, though).

As said above, bmx cranks will be fine with your frame, just may need a slightly longer spindle. Many bmx cranks are *really* heavy, so shop carefully. I looked at all of them and finally settled on the Deitys....very happy with them. You could go with a different Raceface setup, or the Truvativ Hussefelt/Holzfeller.....good cranks, tough and strong.
    What was the problem you had with your Raceface cranks?

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankenator
    Have you checked out the Deity cranks? They're pretty much bmx but tailored in some small ways to work better with mtb frames and gearing setups. I've had some for a year and love them, been through a lot of abuse and the bb is still tight and smooth. Everything is replaceable and the peeps at Deity are great to talk with if you ever have questions or need help. $189 unless the price has gone up, plus a chainring. They use a 36t spline on the spindle, but there are a couple of those available so you're not stuck with just Deity-brand, and there are several other bb's that will work with it (the Deity bb that comes with it is damn good, though).

As said above, bmx cranks will be fine with your frame, just may need a slightly longer spindle. Many bmx cranks are *really* heavy, so shop carefully. I looked at all of them and finally settled on the Deitys....very happy with them. You could go with a different Raceface setup, or the Truvativ Hussefelt/Holzfeller.....good cranks, tough and strong.
    What was the problem you had with your Raceface cranks?
    $189 is really steep for me...and i want to go down to a smaller ratio. like 25-12. very smooth. and bmx cranks arent that bad in weight. they average about 30oz before the bb. not bad for me. my ride dh cranks are 48oz with bb. (41oz without). so lighter for me. the heaviest bmx cranks that are halfway decent are about 37oz.

ive ran hussefelt cranks on 2 separate bikes, and they felt pretty good. on my current cranks, the pedal insert is frozen to the pedal spindle. and the whole insert threads out. so i am stuck with the pedals i have...so i will need cranks once my pedals die.

the conversion to bmx cranks (with stolen team cranks[best bmx cranks on the market]) will be around $185ish. with sprocket, cranks, bb, and new rear cog. i already have another set of pedals i want to use. i could get hussefelt cranks for like $80 though...but those are much heavier...

29 some of the time...
    Sounds like you have this mostly figured out. One comment; when you go outside the standard bell curve prices go up. $200 for the cranks, bb, and chainwheel you want is really not very expensive in the grand scheme of things

the giant.
    well considering i bought the bike for $600, and just dished out $210 for a new fork, and still need to dish out another $100 for brakes, $200 is a little rough. i got the bike used though. massively good deal.

i might be able to get a month or 2 out of the cranks/pedals. that will give me a chance to save up and maybe i can get a better chainwheel or something (im getting a cheap $20 one. bmx sprockets of decent quality run around $50....). my dad really gives me a rough time though. he thinks that $600 is alot for a bike, and i have to argue every single purchase i make...especially since i got the bike a month ago..he doesnt understand the grand scheme of things. i do understand them, but i have a tight budget for things.

the giant.
    well i bought a set of bmx cranks a few days ago, and they just came in today. i swapped the bbs out no problem, and the cranks went on without problem as well. there is more than enough spindle in the crank arms. so im all good. it turned out to be $90 shipped with a 32t sprocket. everything switched over without trouble (except getting the chain lenght settled..)

im not sure what the bb was, but it has a 48mm inner spacer, and that seemed to be perfect. the crank arms are running a little close the the chainstays, but nothing too bad (about 1/4"). my last bike had the cranks coming in within 1/8" of the chainstays....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    well i bought a set of bmx cranks a few days ago, and they just came in today. i swapped the bbs out no problem, and the cranks went on without problem as well. there is more than enough spindle in the crank arms. so im all good. it turned out to be $90 shipped with a 32t sprocket. everything switched over without trouble (except getting the chain lenght settled..)

im not sure what the bb was, but it has a 48mm inner spacer, and that seemed to be perfect. the crank arms are running a little close the the chainstays, but nothing too bad (about 1/4"). my last bike had the cranks coming in within 1/8" of the chainstays....
    1/4" of crankarm/chainstay clearance is HUGE.

Glad it is working for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast