makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

BMX crankset on a MTB?

I searched & got no matches. I want to put 180mm cranks on my Gemini 900, & possibly go 1x9(if not, 2x9). I know there are XTs & XTRs as well as a few others available in 180mm, but I'm wondering if 3-pc BMX crank w/a 32/42(I don't really need a bashguard or super-low granny)mounted on a spider might do the trick. I guess what has me thinking is the fact that there are tons of BMX cranksets vs the relatively few true MTB sets(in 180)- & they're a lot cheaper(not the bottom line, but a consideration). Anyone here done such a thing?
    Actually I abhor cycling- I just like wearing tight shorts

I always bleed like this.
    FSA Nasty Boy crankset. Comes with Euro BB with adjustable pre-load. A number of people do it, as with everything depending upon your application YMMV.
    White Industries has what your looking for too with less work because it uses a square taper BB.

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

Sweet- thanks

Now to figure out the ideal spider/chainring, as well as a chainguide, if possible.
    BTW, why would a square-taper BB be less work, though?

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    i've been running profile racing 190mm's (really long legs) over a year, and i am really happy with both the bottom bracket and the cranks themselves. they aren't the lightest ones around, but you could always upgrade to a titanium axle.
    another nice feature is that you can get whichever spider that suits your needs the best.

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007
    For several years I ran 185s(I thought they were 180s )on a single speed, so that's what I'm used to. I've ran 175s at times, but always wished for the loger arms. Any advice on spiders? Ideally I'd like to run a double.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    I believe that you have the most options in chainrings if you get a 94/58mm 5-arm spider.

http://profileracing.com/products_home.php?productid=43

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassteban
    I searched & got no matches. I want to put 180mm cranks on my Gemini 900, & possibly go 1x9(if not, 2x9). I know there are XTs & XTRs as well as a few others available in 180mm, but I'm wondering if 3-pc BMX crank w/a 32/42(I don't really need a bashguard or super-low granny)mounted on a spider might do the trick. I guess what has me thinking is the fact that there are tons of BMX cranksets vs the relatively few true MTB sets(in 180)- & they're a lot cheaper(not the bottom line, but a consideration). Anyone here done such a thing?

Here's my Litespeed with Profile cro-mo cranks. I've set it up as a 1x8 with a Profile chainwheel, although you can install a spider for mounting multiple chainrings.

Closeup:

Last edited by Zanetti; 06-30-2007 at 03:27 PM.

I always bleed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassteban
    Now to figure out the ideal spider/chainring, as well as a chainguide, if possible.
    BTW, why would a square-taper BB be less work, though?
    A square taper BB is mostly self contained, a BMX BB like the one that comes with the Nasty Boy has two cups, the spindle and a bunch of washers. It requires a bit more attention to detail when putting it all together.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    A square taper BB is mostly self contained, a BMX BB like the one that comes with the Nasty Boy has two cups, the spindle and a bunch of washers. It requires a bit more attention to detail when putting it all together.
    The FSA X-Drive Euro BB is also adjustable (bearings and chainline) and rebuildable, unlike the current square taper cartridge BBs. Worth the trouble IME.

For square taper BBs I still prefer the loose ball and cup type.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

Beautiful

Thanks everybody- plenty of options to consider.

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007

Well...

I happened upon a decent-looking deal on a set of Saint 180s & BB(no rings), so no BMX arms on the Gemini. Now my '83 Pro Cruiser(which for years ran as a SS w/185mm Boss cranks, that's a different story.
    BTW, the Saints came off a BMX bike, so technically, they could be considered BMX cranks...