mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Blackspire Super Pro XTR chainring

Does anybody have any experience with Blackspire chainrings? Are they more durable than the Shimano chainrings? Jenson USA went to Blackspire to have them custom make a batch of their chainrings just to fit XTR 960 cranks. 22T 64 BCD sells for $16, 32T 102 BCD sells for $40 and 44T 146 BCD sells for $55. Does this sound like a worthwhile alternative to Shimano?

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    Does anybody have any experience with Blackspire chainrings? Are they more durable than the Shimano chainrings? Jenson USA went to Blackspire to have them custom make a batch of their chainrings just to fit XTR 960 cranks. 22T 64 BCD sells for $16, 32T 102 BCD sells for $40 and 44T 146 BCD sells for $55. Does this sound like a worthwhile alternative to Shimano?
    I run a Blackspire on my singlespeed and love it. I have only read good things about any of their chainrings as well as them as a company. They have a reputation for bomb-proof parts (their background is the north shore).

I have tried Shimano XT/Truvativ/Specialized on my geared bike, and they don't compare. Can't comment on XTR though.
    It's only pain......