mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blackspire stinger chainline issues

I recently got a BB mount stinger chain tensioner and I am having some issues getting it fitted correctly. I run RF atlas Am cranks 24/36/bash. I have the stinger next to the frame followed by a 2.5mm spacer and then the cranks. The non-drive side also has a 2.5mm spacer. The problem I am having is the chain rubs along the metal part of the stinger when I am in the granny ring. I also cannot fully torque the cranks on or the granny ring bolts start to rub the stinger.

Is it possible to run Stinger/spacer/spacer/cranks on the drive side with no spacers non-drive or does this not allow enough threading for the BB cup on the drive side? This would possibly fix both of the issues I was describing above. I'm just not sure if its a terrible idea to space out the cup so much.

I could also throw the stinger in a vice and put a couple little bends in it to fix the rubbing, but that would be a last resort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i used to run drive with spacer and had the exact chainrub issues.
    do not run the spacer next to the bb. the nondrive one with the spacer is ok. i had that issue with it. pull the chainguide roller as much as u can in the direction of the bb. tilt the chainguide down more. use flat granny bolts. shimano ones may have a flatter head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah I was considering getting some flatter granny bolts or filing down some of the extra ones I have to see if that gives enough clearance. I'm thinking bending the chainguide a little bit is probably going to be necessary. Shouldn't be too difficult.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i came off a dewlie to a stinger.

the stinger well.. so far i had a few chain slips. so if u are on a carbon bike, i would still recommend u getting a chain catcher something like what the roadies use.

1. after the first slip on a normal xc trail not too bumpy but..it slipped, i retune my front de, changed inner cables in case it was a tension issue.

2. 2nd slip 2 rides later bumping down a flight of 30 stairs. i went home and remove 3 links off my chain. perhaps my chain was too long.
    it wasnt neccessary but anyway i did it..

3. 3rd slip along a downhill rockgarden, I tilted the stinger upwards creating even more tension to the chain, pretty close to the chainstay now.

4. 4th slip off a road curb jump, retuned the front de, and took out my old dewlie, and started thinking of how to lighten it up and fit it back on.

I have been drawing on the dewlie with a sharpie marker to figure out where i can slice it up, cut the weight as much and make it better.. i think i am on to something. 90% of the time i ended up with a boomerang shaped thing. but i feel that there is potential to make a dewlie lighter and better than what a stinger can offer.

I personally still feel that a chainguide regardless should have a backing plate. the stinger E is a good design for e-type bikes. but not the stinger. no backing plate at all... oh well..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Get rid of the granny and go 1 X 9.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah that's always a thought, but my legs are not prepared for that. The Northeast doesn't have huge mountains, but we have a ton of fall line trails that don't lend themselves to middle ring climbing.