mtbr member
    May 2008

Blackspire rings on XT crank

So I ordered a set of Super Pro rings to replace my worn shimano rings. Upon installing the rings, I noticed that the blackspire rings are not the same as the shimano rings. The holes line up (it's the correct BCD), but there is space as seen in the photos, and the mounting tabs on the blackspire are also wider. I haven't taken the 32T out of the packaging yet, but it has the same differences when compared to a shimano ring.

The chainring bolts hold the ring securely, but will this setup work?

pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Good job! Yep

Yes, so long as the BCDs are the same it'll work. Those tabs are really just there to help center the chainring making it easier to install. If you're worried about the Chainline with the wider tabs, do a comparison check between the Original piece and the new piece. Remember to add a little Blue loctite on the thread of the bolts, and get them nice and tight.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks oakleyguy, i'll go ahead and install the other rings and test 'em out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How did they work out???? I'm ordering a 32t Superpro replacement on the same crankset, just wondering how it worked for you.

Anyone else use these Blackspire rings with this crankset and an XT cassette (I'm using an 8-speed XT cassette with a SRAM 8-speed chain).

Just wondering....anyone????

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Everything worked fine.

A word of caution, though: replacing just the 32T ring may create front shifting problems. The Blackspire rings are not exactly the same as Shimano rings (nor are any other rings).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You replaced all the rings, correct? Sounds like it worked well for you, that's great.

I understand what you are saying that they are not exactly the same, but did you or do you know of cases where replacing just the middle (or another) ring causes or caused front shifting problems? What problems might this create? I've scoured the web trying to find references to this but so far I haven't seen many folks having issues....

Let me know....

Thanks for your prompt reply.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richsto
    You replaced all the rings, correct? Sounds like it worked well for you, that's great.

I understand what you are saying that they are not exactly the same, but did you or do you know of cases where replacing just the middle (or another) ring causes or caused front shifting problems? What problems might this create? I've scoured the web trying to find references to this but so far I haven't seen many folks having issues....

Let me know....

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    Correct, I bought the complete set. Shifting and overall quality are great so far.

I don't know for sure one way or another if it will cause any issues. It might be an issue with some combinations and not others... I really don't know, I just thought I'd throw that out as a possibility. Problems, though: slow, if any, shifting from small to bigger. And when shifting from big to smaller, the chain not slipping properly onto the smaller ring.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, I'll give the middle ring a try. If I have to I'll buy the other two, glad to hear things are working for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    New middle ring works great - no problems (except I installed everything all wacky). Local bike shop set me straight though. Shifts just fine. I'll be needing the outer big ring soon and have no worries about making it a Blackspire.

Thanks for the info.....

What It Be ?
    I'm running them on my M960 cranks no issues. That big ring is a big pill to swallow 72$

g3h6o3
    Resurrecting this thread...

I'm wondering if the blackspire rings will work on an SLX crank. It seems like the SLX are the same design as the XT but I just want to make sure since Shimano likes to have funky ring shapes.

Thx
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I installed the 22/32 T on my 960 crank, e type front derailleur, would not shift from middle to small ring, no matter the cable tension or low/high screw adjustment.
    After spending way too much time screwing with it, went to the LBS, he put a spare, stock XT crank on, worked perfectly. I had a spare 960 crank, installed it worked perfectly. The teeth are cut much deeper and all the same, unlike Shimano, I'd read how good they worked, but not for me. Anyone else had problems w/Blackspire rings? Any solutions?
    dirtaoist

nnn
    mtbr member
    I've been running the same blackspires as a middle and now outer ring and am extremely impressed. Both fairly light and extremely tough, the 36 tooth I had in the middle for a year of various AM riding and it looked brand new when I changed my cranks!
    Now sporting a 5 arm 44T outer and it looks just as nice, see how it goes !
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

g3h6o3
    You're running them on an SLX crank???

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Resurrecting this thread...

I'm wondering if the blackspire rings will work on an SLX crank. It seems like the SLX are the same design as the XT but I just want to make sure since Shimano likes to have funky ring shapes.

Thx
    I use Blackspire SS ring on my SLX, 1x9 setup.

g3h6o3
    So they fit!!! Wonderful!!!

g3h6o3
    I can now confirm that the SuperPro blackspire rings do indeed fit on SLX cranks. There is a fairly large gap between the ring and spider though, way larger than inthe above picture on XT cranks. Not that it matters but I'm just mentionning.

Thx everybody for the heads up!