mtbr member

Blackspire chain guide & chain-pinch

have the blackspire chain guide on my 2x10 specialized enduro. every so often when going over large rocks the guide gets forced up and pinches the chain against the chainstay if i'm on the small chainring. wondering if a larger bashguard would help prevent this? already using a 38T bashguard. the guide attaches using the ISCG . tried tightening the bolts very tight and the guide will still get pushed up. tried keeping them looser so the guide will return to its correct position if it gts pushed up but if the ISCG bolts are not inserted enough they rub againt the crank bolts. any suggestions or alternatives. thanks!

mtbr member
    I get this as well...
    It looks like it happens more when the chain lube is dried up. When properly lubed it seems ok.

mtbr member
    maybe i should clarify my issue. the chain guide (blackspire stinger) is being pushed up against the chainstay probably when being hit or scraped against a rock when climbing over it. the guide is attached by an ISCG mount. the iscg bolts are inserted in grooves not drilled holes which permits this movement of the guide. unfortunately the force of the rock hitting the guide is enough to slide the guide's roller against the chainstay, thus pinching the chain against the chainstay but the guide does not return to the original postion since the bolts are on tight. maybe i forgo the guide since this sucks whn it happens on the trail. just wondering if others had this situation and found a fix. i've tighten the bolts pretty damn tight but all th weight of me and the bike coming down on a large rock hitting the guide is still enough to move it.

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 Enduro with a blackspire stinger which attaches to the frame via 3 screws at 1, 4 and 7 o'clock, mine has been knocked a few times as there are 1 or 2 dings on the stinger but I've not noticed it moving. I'll send u a pic if it helps to show u how mine is set up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhiz040480 View Post
    I have a 2008 Enduro with a blackspire stinger which attaches to the frame via 3 screws at 1, 4 and 7 o'clock, mine has been knocked a few times as there are 1 or 2 dings on the stinger but I've not noticed it moving. I'll send u a pic if it helps to show u how mine is set up!
    sure, i'd appreciate it. mine is also attached with 3 screws but because the chain guide has slots rather than holes for the screws/bolts so the guide is able to slide/move when banged extremely hard. i tried tightening the bolts as tight as possible. hopefully that'll help.i'd appreciate seeing how yours in set up though. you can send pic to cjg_64@yahoo.com

thanks

mtbr member
    Check out my profile album iv added a pic in there for u to look at. I know what ur saying about the slots and I'm guessing its only a matter of time before I give mine a hard enough smack. The only thing I could suggest is to fabricate a block or something to stop the stinger moving as much as u say up close to the lower swing arm (where the chainstay is fitted)?

mtbr member
    cool. thanks. i like your suggestion. i may give that a try.