mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Biggest middle ring with E-type front mech

I hardly ever use my big ring, so I was thinking of ditching it for a bashguard and switching the standard 32 middle ring to a 34 or 36, that would just give enough speed.

However, I'm using a Shimano XT E-type front mech which, being fixed to the BB, cannot be ajusted for heigth like a normal clamp-on type can.

So my basic questions is if a 34 or 36 ring would fit without interfering with the E-type's function. The Shimano website only offers info on the max bigring/granny.

Any info is appreciated.

Jowan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    I hardly ever use my big ring, so I was thinking of ditching it for a bashguard and switching the standard 32 middle ring to a 34 or 36, that would just give enough speed.

However, I'm using a Shimano XT E-type front mech which, being fixed to the BB, cannot be ajusted for heigth like a normal clamp-on type can.

So my basic questions is if a 34 or 36 ring would fit without interfering with the E-type's function. The Shimano website only offers info on the max bigring/granny.

Any info is appreciated.

Jowan
    Whatever the max chainring size is will be your max middle ring size if you're ditching the big ring.