I am a work in progress

New question here. Big Ring Bashguards???

I am going to be putting a new Raceface Evolve crankset on my bike and I want to protect it. I want the availability of all 3 front rings, but most of what I am seeing are bashguards that replace the outer ring.

I know Black Spire makes a guard that covers all 3 rings, but it is $80. Do you guys know of any guards that cover all 3 rings, but are more practical in price? Thanks
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

"...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Hmm. Could be wrong here (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think this is the right item. If he wants to use a "4th" ring position outside the outer ring for a bash guard, there would need to be some offset to offer chain clearance, and also clearance for the crank arm. It might work if mounted outboard on spacers, using longer mounting bolts, and if there's enough room between the chain and the arm to accomodate it.

If I remember correctly, Black Spire did one have one with the required offset built in, and a cutout to clear the arm. Probably why it's so pricey.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

I am a work in progress
    Hey thanks guys, but I found the Black Spire on sale for $50, must be my lucky day, haha.
    http://www.downcycles.com/store/blac...loy-p-781.html This thing is a beefy 1/2'' thick. I don't think I will ever bend/break it, and it will protect my equipment for a LONG time.

ETA: The Black Spire has 5 holes, but the crank only has 4 bolts, what gives?

I have one and used it on a triple, true, you will need to set it up properly, and will take spacers and longer bolts (mine came with them). It's relatively inexpensive, though, which was his criteria. Looking around, found even better pricing http://www.spadout.com/p/salsa-chainring-guard/
    suum quique

Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    Hey thanks guys, but I found the Black Spire on sale for $50, must be my lucky day, haha.
    http://www.downcycles.com/store/blac...loy-p-781.html This thing is a beefy 1/2'' thick. I don't think I will ever bend/break it, and it will protect my equipment for a LONG time.
    Just remember all these protect is your large chainring...305g ! That's pretty heavy!
    suum quique

I am a work in progress
    I found it in a a 4 bolt setup at Pricepoint for $45. I'm good to go!

Bikin: I don't mind the weight. My rides average 30 miles w/ full 100 oz. camelback + a "just in case" snack, (2) 20 oz. bottles of water, frame pump, multitool, patch kit, and an ASP (for dogs that get too close, haha). I work construction and am on my feet ALL day, so the extra weight won't affect me much. Plus, I like to train heavy so I can fly. When I strip all but the necessities off of the bike I can haul a$$ because I am roughly 10+ pounds lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    I found it in a a 4 bolt setup at Pricepoint for $45. I'm good to go!

Bikin: I don't mind the weight. My rides average 30 miles w/ full 100 oz. camelback + a "just in case" snack, (2) 20 oz. bottles of water, frame pump, multitool, patch kit, and an ASP (for dogs that get too close, haha). I work construction and am on my feet ALL day, so the extra weight won't affect me much. Plus, I like to train heavy so I can fly. When I strip all but the necessities off of the bike I can haul a$$ because I am roughly 10+ pounds lighter.
    I understand, my usual pack weighs 15 pounds (8 pounds of water)....but what's an ASP? OTOH if I can protect a chainring for less weight, and pretty sure the Salsa is more like 200g, I'll go for the lesser weight...
    suum quique

I am a work in progress
    an ASP is an expandable baton. Mine is 7'' when collapsed and 21'' when expanded. Made of steel, and lets the attacker know you have been there. The image shows one collapsed and expanded.
    Attached Images Attached Images