Thread: big headache

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

big headache

bought a used bike to save money..........this time it was a big mistake. I can't get my gearing on the cranks to work right. brought it to different shops, but still could not get it to work right. The guy I bought it from chaned the crankset. He put a 9 speed crankset, but the bike is an 8 speed system. Would this be a big factor to my problem? One of the shops said that the stock deraileur was not the right deraileur for the cranks. So they changed it, but still doesn't work well. The bike is an '04 gary fisher wahoo. Crankset is racecface forged 9spd.
    thanks for any input provided

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confuzshuz
    bought a used bike to save money..........this time it was a big mistake. I can't get my gearing on the cranks to work right. brought it to different shops, but still could not get it to work right. The guy I bought it from chaned the crankset. He put a 9 speed crankset, but the bike is an 8 speed system. Would this be a big factor to my problem? One of the shops said that the stock deraileur was not the right deraileur for the cranks. So they changed it, but still doesn't work well. The bike is an '04 gary fisher wahoo. Crankset is racecface forged 9spd.
    thanks for any input provided
    9 spd rings work fine on an 8spd system, so that should not b your problem.
    So, the problem is shifting on the front derailler? first, if there's a new derailler on there w/ a new cable, it may need slight adjustment after a few rides, assuming the shop installed & adjusted it properly. (ie a turn or two of the barrel adjuster, check this link for some tips http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 )

More importantly, technique is very important. Are you trying to shift the F. der. while cranking hard on the cranks? if so, that's the problem, you need to pedal lightly while shifting.
    Check out the park site and see if the derailler is operating correctly.
    Good luck!
    s
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what size chainrings - 44/32/22? does the FD suit this?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]