Thread: Big Chainring

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Big Chainring

I find that I bash my big (44) chainring into things more than I would like. I know if I had great skills I could just hop that rear tire up and never touch the chainring(I'm working on it). I also only use the 44t for the occasional pavement access ,gentle double track or fireroad. I'm sure a 38 x 11 combo would see me through all of my big gear needs. Question, has anyone used a 36t middle ring or a 38tDH as an outer ring? It seems like a smaller ring would hit less and give me all the gears I need ,plus they are not much more exspensive than a bash guard.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    I find that I bash my big (44) chainring into things more than I would like. I know if I had great skills I could just hop that rear tire up and never touch the chainring(I'm working on it). I also only use the 44t for the occasional pavement access ,gentle double track or fireroad. I'm sure a 38 x 11 combo would see me through all of my big gear needs. Question, has anyone used a 36t middle ring or a 38tDH as an outer ring? It seems like a smaller ring would hit less and give me all the gears I need ,plus they are not much more exspensive than a bash guard.
    The difference is going to be less than 1/2" of clearance between 38 & 44.

Bash rings will take a lot more abuse, and be a lot cheaper in the long run than replacing a $40 chainring every 3 months...

You could run a 36t or 38t middle ring and a 24t granny ring - with a 11x34 cassette, you should have plenty of gears.
    Last edited by forkboy; 12-20-2005 at 01:30 PM.

banned
    Yeah, and you could also run a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    you could buy a black spire big ring protector, they sell for around 40 dollars at cambriabike.com and pricepoint.com

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Yeah, and you could also run a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide!
    Excuse my ignorance.... what is a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide?

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    Excuse my ignorance.... what is a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide?
    Two kinds of chain guides. Check out www.e13components.com they make a phenomenal product in their bashguard/chainguide combos.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.