Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Big Chainring

  1. #1
    Tenya Laybacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    109

    Big Chainring

    I find that I bash my big (44) chainring into things more than I would like. I know if I had great skills I could just hop that rear tire up and never touch the chainring(I'm working on it). I also only use the 44t for the occasional pavement access ,gentle double track or fireroad. I'm sure a 38 x 11 combo would see me through all of my big gear needs. Question, has anyone used a 36t middle ring or a 38tDH as an outer ring? It seems like a smaller ring would hit less and give me all the gears I need ,plus they are not much more exspensive than a bash guard.

  2. #2
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    I find that I bash my big (44) chainring into things more than I would like. I know if I had great skills I could just hop that rear tire up and never touch the chainring(I'm working on it). I also only use the 44t for the occasional pavement access ,gentle double track or fireroad. I'm sure a 38 x 11 combo would see me through all of my big gear needs. Question, has anyone used a 36t middle ring or a 38tDH as an outer ring? It seems like a smaller ring would hit less and give me all the gears I need ,plus they are not much more exspensive than a bash guard.
    The difference is going to be less than 1/2" of clearance between 38 & 44.

    Bash rings will take a lot more abuse, and be a lot cheaper in the long run than replacing a $40 chainring every 3 months...

    You could run a 36t or 38t middle ring and a 24t granny ring - with a 11x34 cassette, you should have plenty of gears.
    Last edited by forkboy; 12-20-2005 at 01:30 PM.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: standard235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,556
    Yeah, and you could also run a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    123
    you could buy a black spire big ring protector, they sell for around 40 dollars at cambriabike.com and pricepoint.com

  5. #5
    Tenya Laybacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Yeah, and you could also run a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide!
    Excuse my ignorance.... what is a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide?

  6. #6
    notabouttoseeyourlight
    Reputation: coma13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    Excuse my ignorance.... what is a DRS or Dewlie Chainguide?
    Two kinds of chain guides. Check out www.e13components.com they make a phenomenal product in their bashguard/chainguide combos.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •