Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    32

    Big-Big Gear Pulley Alignment Problem (Pics included)

    I cannot figure out what happened to my bottom pulley on my bike. I busted my chain on my last ride but the big big gear appeared to be alright when I fixed the chain. Now when I put it into the largest gear, the tension pulley is offline which leads to the grinding. Here is a pic:




    However, when I looked to see if the hanger was bent or the pulleys were not parallel to the cog, everything seemed fine as shown here:




    What is up here? I know I am missing something obvious

  2. #2
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    hard to tell from those pics but I dont think you threaded it through the deraillier right

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    32
    heh I definitely know I got that right. I think the pulleys may be just off line but the hanger is not bent. I don't know what needs bending

  4. #4
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaza
    heh I definitely know I got that right. I think the pulleys may be just off line but the hanger is not bent. I don't know what needs bending
    why dont you think the hanger is bent? by the picture it looks bent. go to the lbs and see if they have a hanger straightener, if not you can buy one from Park tools
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=26&item=DAG-2

  5. #5
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaza
    heh I definitely know I got that right. I think the pulleys may be just off line but the hanger is not bent. I don't know what needs bending
    are you talking about using your big front ring and big rear cog? if so thats cross chaining and you shouldnt do it, when you broke your chain you lost a couple of links? now the chain is too short and if you continue to cross chain you will break something

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    32
    Hmm I never had a problem with cross chaining before, and I didnt really break any links, it was just the master pin that popped out but the chain was still held together. BTW is the chain supposed to be touching the guide pulley when in the largest gear? Mine currently is not

  7. #7
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaza
    Hmm I never had a problem with cross chaining before, and I didnt really break any links, it was just the master pin that popped out but the chain was still held together. BTW is the chain supposed to be touching the guide pulley when in the largest gear? Mine currently is not
    cross chaining is to be avoided at all times, it stretches your drivetrain to the limit and puts unbelievable stress of the dreaillier, yes it should be touching both idler wheels

    to check for correct length wrap the chain around the big/big combo without going through the deraillier and add 2 links

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

  8. #8
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Is the inner side of the lower part of the cage all ground up or tweaked somehow? Or is that just the photo? Makes me wonder, what did you hit? I can't tell from the photo, but if you whacked it check hanger alignment. Big big isn't a good way to ride (unless your big up front is a middle sized chainring). What do you mean by master pin? The pin you pushed in when you originally installed the chain?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Is the inner side of the lower part of the cage all ground up or tweaked somehow? Or is that just the photo? Makes me wonder, what did you hit? I can't tell from the photo, but if you whacked it check hanger alignment. Big big isn't a good way to ride (unless your big up front is a middle sized chainring). What do you mean by master pin? The pin you pushed in when you originally installed the chain?

    Well I went back and tweaked the derailleur hanger because I believe it was tweaked out of alignment. I first confused the derailleur hanger with the cage. I must have really slammed the derailleur before the chain broke.

    Also, the master pin I was talking about was indeed the one I pushed in with the originally installed chain.

  10. #10
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaza
    Well I went back and tweaked the derailleur hanger because I believe it was tweaked out of alignment. I first confused the derailleur hanger with the cage. I must have really slammed the derailleur before the chain broke.

    Also, the master pin I was talking about was indeed the one I pushed in with the originally installed chain.
    I only asked about the master pin because it's just a pin once it's installed; if you break the chain you need a new pin, at least with a Shimano chain.

    Do you know the technique for straightening a hanger without the specific tool? Personally I use the specific tool; I've known a couple of experienced mechanics who can do it with an allen stuck in the bracket spindle bolt, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you had the experience they did...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •