mtbr member
    Nov 2005

a better clipless pedal

i have purchased some shimano PD-M520 pedals and am having trouble cliping into them, what pedal might be easier to clip into ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rodman
    i have purchased some shimano PD-M520 pedals and am having trouble cliping into them, what pedal might be easier to clip into ?
    Use the search function for pedals and you will find a ton of information on the subject. My advice is that choosing pedals are based on type of riding and personal preferences. Based on my type of riding and knee problems, I use Time ATAC. See if you can get a loaner from friends and tryout different pedals. All you have to invest is a pair of cleats. If you don't like the pedals give the cleats to your friend.

Over the Hill
    Might not be the pedal, could be the threads/sole on your shoes. Not uncommon to have to modify the shoe a little to get a good interface between shoe and pedal.

banned
    OK.

For DJ, DH, FR, and urban, what clipless pedal should I use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    OK.

For DJ, DH, FR, and urban, what clipless pedal should I use?
    That's an awfull subjective question. But I would use something with platforms.

Natural body armor

how do you like ATACS?

Quote Originally Posted by BobKreyole
    Use the search function for pedals and you will find a ton of information on the subject. My advice is that choosing pedals are based on type of riding and personal preferences. Based on my type of riding and knee problems, I use Time ATAC. See if you can get a loaner from friends and tryout different pedals. All you have to invest is a pair of cleats. If you don't like the pedals give the cleats to your friend.
    My main concern is about my knees. I had surgery 6 months ago and I'm terrified now that they won't unclip when I crash.
    I'm currently using Shimano and I'm not too excited to the idea of switching to different cleats (I'll have to switch for all my bikes/shoes), but seems like atacs are the way to go...

Also read some posts about tearing tendinis in the knee with the eggbeaters.

Does anybody know which clipless pedal system are really designed to automatically release in case of crash?
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    My main concern is about my knees. I had surgery 6 months ago and I'm terrified now that they won't unclip when I crash.
    I'm currently using Shimano and I'm not too excited to the idea of switching to different cleats (I'll have to switch for all my bikes/shoes), but seems like atacs are the way to go...

Does anybody know which clipless pedal system are really designed to automatically release in case of crash?
    Times and CB's have a similar motion for clip and unclip. The biggest difference seems to be the mechanism in that the CB's unintentionally unclip when they come in contact with objects while pedalling. This may be a good enough reason to go with Times.

I have 3 sets of CB's - 2 Candy's and on Mallets. The Mallets were my first and have a platform. I recommend them as a good beginner clipless pedal since the platform makes for easier clip-in and gives a place to stand during low-confidence operations.

I have not heard of any clipless pedals being good in case of crash. This seems more like an experience issue. The more experience you have riding and with a particular pedal, the faster the reaction time will be to unclip in panic situations.

Additionally, with the experience issue - the more I ride, the less I find I need to unclip. I'm no expert but it seems to be that way for most people.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Chrome Toaster

Shimano's are the easiest pedals to release from because they have adjustable tension and less float (takes less twisting until the reach the release point). With the lowest tension the clip releases with virtually no effort or twist. In addition to that you can get what they call the multi release cleat (SH-55/SH-56) which releases by pulling up as well. That cleat can be very usefull for people who have ankle or knee problems doing the twisting motion far enough or hard enough to succesfully unclip. Just make sure that when you are refering to SPD you are talking about the latest generation of them. Those are the 520/540/959/647. Shimano's pedals have always been very good but the latest generation is way better than anything that came before and far better than any generic SPD knockoff.

Chrome Toaster
    No such thing. With enough experience release becomes a reflex action and you do it automatically even in most crashes.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by rodman
    Thats unusual. You usually hear of people complaining about not being able to clip out of pedals but not trouble cliping into them. Quite frankly there isn't much of a difference in the feel of clipping in between all the different brands. I suspect if you are having trouble clipping in you might not be used to the clip positioning and either need to readjust it or just need to ride it more until your body adapts. The shoe sole pattern could also be interfering with the entry. Are these the first clipless pedals you ever try?

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    No such thing. With enough experience release becomes a reflex action and you do it automatically even in most crashes.
    Thanks H.

I've used clipless for over 4 years now and everytime I crashed I've somewat been able to clip out.
    By "automatically release" I meant: given a significant force not in the direction of release, will they release? Most Ski bindings work that way.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Chrome Toaster
    Thanks H.

I've used clipless for over 4 years now and everytime I crashed I've somewat been able to clip out.
    By "automatically release" I meant: given a significant force not in the direction of release, will they release? Most Ski bindings work that way.
    The closest thing you will see to this is the Shimano with the multi release cleat. I suppose it works somewhat similar to that concept. Of course that somewhat takes away the ability of pedaling by pulling the pedal up hard if you need to which is one of the advantages of clipless to some riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    yes they are, i have new Lake 165 MTB shoes, having trouble lining them up right, i guess i just have to get used to where the cleat is on the bottom of my shoe, i see that the Time pedals have more play(float ?) in them, is that a good thing ?

banned
    Try to mimic your favorite spot on platforms then match it to your cleats.

mtbr member

"Auto unclipping"

The best advice I ever heard for injury free pedal release was from an experienced skier.

He said the first thing I do when I clip into my skis is unclip again. Then I clip in, and unclip again. He said do it at a few times at different knee angles. This 'reminds' your body of where the release point is etc and helps your reflexes to get you out of the binding during panic releases or crashes.
    Even though a ski-binding is not a pedal, I've always gone though this little ritual as I start my ride (in-out, in-out a few times whilst spinning along). It has served me well in 14 years of clipless MBT riding.

(Also keep your pedals tuned and lubed for consistent release performance).
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

banned
    Actually, keep the springs lubed and they will feel slightly harder to get out of. Keep them maintained and don't crank the tension. My 520's bit the dust this way. I'm maintaining my 858's and they are much tighter.