g3h6o3

Best value crank : XT or SLX?

So I "broke" my crank this past weekend on my AM bike. The crank was a Stylo 2.2 with Blackspire rings and the threads to tighten the crank got ripped off so I can't tighten it anymore. So anyways I'm planning on buying either an SLX on XT crank which are both on sale at CRC. The XT is 50CAD$ more, keep this in mind!

Where it get complicated is that the Blackspire rings are still good and I plan to tranfer them to the new crank and keep the stock rings as spares. My XC hardtail already has an Xt crank so if I got with the XT crank I end up with 3 spare rings for my XC bike. If I go with the double SLX, I have a spare 36T and bash for my AM and a spare 22T for my XC (i use a 26T on my AM bike). The third option is to go for a 3 ring SLX in which case I have 3 spares for my XC bike.

So what would you buy? What's the best value in all this? Is the extra stiffness of the SLX really worth it? If you ask me, the 3 ring SLX seems like the obvious choice...

At the same time, does anyone know if the blackspire rings will fit on the SLX crank???
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    "This crankset includes a “honeycomb” bash guard, a steel pedal thread insert and is claimed to be 100% stronger than the XT crankset."

That quote is straight from CRC's description on the unit.

XT's are probably lighter though.

I'm probably ordering the SLX's though personally.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

g3h6o3
    Yeah that's the description for the 2 ring version. The 3 ring doesn't come with a bash but with 22/32/44 rings

Edit : Concerning the weight, there's a 35g penalty on the SLX vs. the XT. The more I think of it, the 3 ring SLX is clearly the way to go, there's no more doubt in my head... But will the SLX rings fit on the XT crank?
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 07-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Xt and SLX chainrings fit each other.

Rip Van Winkle
    What is CRC? C o l o r a d o C y c l i s t? I'm looking for a deal myself on SLX

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Restoman
    What is CRC? C o l o r a d o C y c l i s t? I'm looking for a deal myself on SLX
    Chainreactioncycles.com
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

g3h6o3
    Thx Sam for the info. I've got this purchase all setup now. And the CAD$ keeps on going up. 140CAD$ for the SLX crank is one hell of a deal. I don't feel so bad about breaking my crank anymore!

Yeah, CRC = chainreaction. 40% off teh SLX crank. And free shipping on "big" orders

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Too bad you missed the real deals on Shimano late last fall. I got my SLX 3 ring crankset at chainreaction for $102 U.S last December and I think it went as low as $96 before the prices shot up. Great crank, even at the current price.

mtbr member
    SLX has a steel granny, which accounts for a chunk of that 36 grams. I think Shimano may have made SLX too good, in comparison to XT. I think a steel granny is a good idea, so I vote for SLX.

I believe that below XT, the BBs use a narrower bearing, which is probably less durable. Run 'em until they crap out and replace with XT/XTR/D-A/Ultegra or keep your old XT and replace the bearings with new, using the Phil tools.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Don't worry about 35g. SLX for aesthetics and price.

I Like Bicycles
    According to Shimano, the SLX's are "100% stronger" than the XT set, and the blokes from BikeRadar seem to agree: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...nkset-09-34107
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

g3h6o3
    D.F.L. the rings from the SLX crank will end up on my XT crank when the factory XT rings wear out. My current Blackspire rings and bash will go on the SLX crank when I receive it. So I end up with a 26/36/bash SLX crank and 3 spare rings for my XT cranks.

The order has been passed and I'm happy with my choice.

g3h6o3
    A little update on this. I just found out that the main difference between the 3 ring and 2 rin SLX crank is reinforced axle and steel pedal insert on the 2 ring version. Shimano's site doesn't mention any of this, shame on them! Knowing this I'm not sure I would have take the 3 ring version although it weights less and I've never broken a crank before. So I'm sure my choice is safe nonetheless but oen thing that made me buy the SLX over XT was the "100% stronger" fact. I suppose this is only true for the 2 ring version.

Anyhooooo keep these facts in mind when choosing your crank.
    BTW I've ridden the cranks a couple of times now and they're really good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    "This crankset includes a “honeycomb” bash guard, a steel pedal thread insert and is claimed to be 100% stronger than the XT crankset."
    I'm curious as to how they get these figures. And in the desc. of the 3 ring version of the SLX they say

"FC-M660 composite middle chainring increases service life by 100% with smoother shifting."

100% is a popular amount to improve by.

g3h6o3
    Clearly! Quite misleading numbers as always...

Members who have read this thread: 0