No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Best two-ring bash and chainguide setup

Just came back to a standard two-ring (bash-32-22) setup from my Hammerschmidt. Application is a Titus El Guapo with ISCG 05 mounts.

Currently running a BBG metal bash with a Blackspire BB-mount stinger for a chainguide.

I ride technical rocky Arizona trails and my bashguard and chainguides take a beating. Not happy with the BB mount as every rock strikes rotates it upward and screws up my chainline.

Recommendations for an ISCG 05 mount two-ring guide with or without an integrated bash? Really prefer a metal bash, but would go with poly on an integrated system. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    If you like the Blackspire product, they make tensioners that fit to the ISCG mounts on your EG.

Gamut also make good stuff.

I prefer e-13/The Hive:
    http://www.e13components.com/product_drs.html

Metal bashguards tend to be less resistant to damage (aluminum is very soft) than lexan. You can lengthen the lifecycle by rotating it 180 degrees (since most of us have a favorite foot forward). You can sand and paint if looking pretty is important.

If you want lightweigth a taco bash is great. The BBG is a lightweight bash, you can continue with it once it is warn out or go with something heavier that lasts longer. Taco bashguards are probably not as good as a crank mounted bash if you do a lot of grinds and urban type riding, since the ISCG mounts are a little less strong than mounting at the cranks.

Have you thought about running without a tensioner? If you train yourself to not back pedal, it is rare to 'off' the chain. In that case the FD does a decent job of keeping things in check, especially if you run and inner and outer bash.

Your problem is the BB mount, any of the three complanies above will suit your purpose (ISCG mount).
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

EDR
    Blatant, that Gammut looks real nice but is ridiculously expensive. If money is a consideration just replace your Stinger BB mount with a ISCG mount Stinger. I know what you mean about the Stinger always rotating, I'm in Phoenix as well and ride it with a BBG bash and rock strikes push my roller up into my rear der. cable (running on my chainstay). Unfortunately my 575 has no tabs.

usually cranky
    i dont run a guide and have dropped my chain once. and it was when i got a stick in my rd. i ride rocky trails, adjust your chain length properly and you should be good to go.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Been looking around and it appears the E13 DRS will do what I need. It is a bit expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    May also want to look at the e13 Heim2/Turbocharger. Really like mine. You mentioned expensive. Talk to Chad at Red Barn Bicycles if you are looking for good pricing.