Malty goodness

Best price for Shimano replacement chainrings?

I have a 2003 XT crank (the octalink that bulges out near the spindle and then tapers) and have been running LX chainrings for the last two seasons without any complaints. Since it was time to replace the rings, I was shocked to see what rings are going for nowadays.
    What I DID find was that Jenson had 2003 LX cranks (look just like my XTs except they require a special Shimano BB which can be hard to find) with 170mm arms for only $55.00!! That's more than $20.00 cheaper than buying the rings alone.Don't know what I'll do with the arms now, but hey!
    Also, Jenson has low-normal XT rear derr.'s for $39 in long and $45 in short cage....I bought two as spares!.....great deal

What is the general feeling on running Race Face rings? Several online dealers are selling 3pc sets for about $75.00..
    Don't do anything I wouldn't do if I weren't in your shoes.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaJockey
    What is the general feeling on running Race Face rings? Several online dealers are selling 3pc sets for about $75.00..
    I have a set of Race Face rings on my 2003 XT cranks - I like them a lot.

I actually had the best luck with cheap rings down at my local bike shop. $21 for a shimano middle-ring.

Cambria Bike has probably the largest online selection of rings, especially if you have odd-sized cranks.

mtbr member
    I have a 2003 XT crank (the octalink that bulges out near the spindle and then tapers) and have been running LX chainrings for the last two seasons without any complaints. Since it was time to replace the rings, I was shocked to see what rings are going for nowadays.
    What I DID find was that Jenson had 2003 LX cranks (look just like my XTs except they require a special Shimano BB which can be hard to find) with 170mm arms for only $55.00!! That's more than $20.00 cheaper than buying the rings alone.Don't know what I'll do with the arms now, but hey!
    Also, Jenson has low-normal XT rear derr.'s for $39 in long and $45 in short cage....I bought two as spares!.....great deal

get a deore middle ring, it's steel and will last a lot longer, and it's much cheaper.
    bikeman.com has good prices on 'em.
    I use raceface 5arm rings, good bang for the buck.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Chrome Toaster
    XT rings are the same as LX except for the granny. They're cheap anyway. An XT middle ringle shouldn't be much more than $20. XT rings will shift quite better than Race Face ones.

Malty goodness
    Guys...my whole point was that Jenson is selling the entire LX crankset for $55...and it's cheaper than buying the rings separately

Linoleum Knife
    Guys...my whole point was that Jenson is selling the entire LX crankset for $55...and it's cheaper than buying the rings separately
    That would be a fantastic point if they weren't sold out of them.

Malty goodness
    touche' oh forkest of boys

I must have squeeked in under the wire.

Do they still have the XT rear derr's for 39 bucks?

Linoleum Knife
    touche' oh forkest of boys

I must have squeeked in under the wire.

Do they still have the XT rear derr's for 39 bucks?
    As of an hour ago...

I was actually thinking of picking up one of those cranks for the specific purpose of pulling the rings, but since I usually only need 1 ring a year, I decided to let others grab them up. I've only got so much room in my garage.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I just use LX rings

I can get a LX middle and small for around $30 at Performance. The outer rings tend to last a long time before they need to be changed out unless you smash one up on a log or a rock.

LX rings are as good as XT. I had Race Face but found they started chain sucking quick.

Jaybo