mtbr member

Best post muddy ride aftercare?

So after a muddy ride im sure like the most of you, like I wash the bike down. But what is the best way of looking after the components after that. They are all wet so drying I guess? But what about areas like the bb where water might have penetrated. Would a water displacement spray like wd40 help make the bearings last?

Any tips on post ride care appreciated
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There's no one-size-fits-all answer. Depends on how much mud, how deep, how long, what components/seals, and what lubes were used and how long ago,

My commuter bike gets lots of mud on it because I ride home along a river prone to minor flooding. Mostly it's just splashed on as opposed to riding a mtn bike in mud up to the axles. I simply rinse the mud, avoiding spraying water directly at the bearings, and let it drip dry. Last fall I started getting very lazy, and left the muddy bike outside in the rain for nature to wash off what it put there.

Chain, cables, and exposed pivots are lubed every 60 days or so, and major bearings greased twice a year, and field stripped inspected every second year or so. So far no rust, excess wear or any problems. But if I found problems I'd increase the preventative maintenance as needed. One factor in why I do so well is the components - old SunTour Grease Guard hubs, BB, HS and pedals, which allow repacking w/o field stripping.

I think you'll probably want to do more than I get away with, but there's no need to be overly crazy about it. With experience, you'll develop a feel for what the bike needs, and what you're willing to do, and strike a balance.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    stay away from the wd40, it will strip away your grease

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    stay away from the wd40, it will strip away your grease
    WD-40 isn't all bad, IF you follow up with an appropriate wet lube. Otherwise leave it alone... (if you use it do not use the aerosol, it will overspray onto rotors unless you are very careful)

I have been really happy with the Rock n Roll lubes. Even after a pressure wash I simply wipe down, reapply, and wipe off the excess. RnR lubes have a wicking/displacement component to them as well, but leave a wax like layer of protection on the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I ride a lot in the mud, and I have found getting the mud off when the mud is still wet the best. It requires far less water to get job done. And if you can let the bike dry indoors. If you want to pull bearing/seals and regrease (although for some sealed bearings I have noticed that once you remove the seals to regrease, they don't go back on very well).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Geez if I pulled the seals off my cartridge bearings after every muddy ride...I would go through four or five sets a year....

Hose the bike off asap, wash with detergent, and relube the the parts you can get at..

If something doesn't last with that type of care and attention there time for an upgrade to a part that will last.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Geez if I pulled the seals off my cartridge bearings after every muddy ride...I would go through four or five sets a year....

Hose the bike off asap, wash with detergent, and relube the the parts you can get at..

If something doesn't last with that type of care and attention there time for an upgrade to a part that will last.
    There you go again making sh*t up. I did not say unseal and clean bearings after each ride. It was just a suggestion that it can be done.

TROLL!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    There you go again making sh*t up. I did not say unseal and clean bearings after each ride. It was just a suggestion that it can be done.

TROLL!
    Idiot, you regrease bearings maybe once near the end of there life it has nothing to do with cleaning a bike after a muddy ride...

That is the topic under discussion...

the catalan connection
    if they can, you can
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best post muddy ride aftercare?-shhh.jpg  

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would advise even when new to carefully pull the seals off of any sealed bearings on the bike and pack them completely full of grease. I have yet to see even a new bearings come packed with enough grease. Considering the suspension linkage bearings hardly really spin to distribute grease this is especially important. You should get at least a year of use if you do this. Been doing it on my dirt bike wheels bearings for years.

WD40 makes a good cheap FD/RD douche after or in between washes. I'll completely spray and saturate both followed by a good wipe down and then an application of Tri Flow or your pesonal favorite lube.

Some frames have little holes in them for the manufacturing process. I put small pieces of clear HD 3M tape over these to eliminate any potential water penetration. I also try to keep the seat post/frame juntion wraped so no water gets in there and jeez keep the water spray moving especially around those precious bearings..

After cleaning muddy dirt bikes for years a mtn. bike is a total breeze and here is a product I can VERY highly recommend for cleaning. Next to no elbow grease required and it's totally safe and does an awesome job. Pice is reasonable

http://www.xtreamclean.com/index.php...d=36&Itemid=66

BTW the MX/ATV wash is really the same as the bike wash it's just for different markets that he does it. All the products are good.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Former Bike Wrench
    I like to use a bucket of warm soapy water and scrub brushes. I then rise off with a hose (no nozzle). My BB is external bearing so water in the BB (which I don't have an issue with anyway) doesn't affect the BB bearings. I've found using a good marine grease combined with not directing pressurized water at bearings goes a long way. I use a wet lube that is long lasting so basically wiping down my chain with a rag is all that is needed there. Every few weeks I wipe down the bike with a bike polish which builds up a protective finish that sheds mud and water.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I stand by my warning about WD40, spraying it on your bearings (hubs, axles, pivots, headsets, etc.) it will penetrate into the bearings and dissolve your grease

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I stand by my warning about WD40, spraying it on your bearings (hubs, axles, pivots, headsets, etc.) it will penetrate into the bearings and dissolve your grease
    I agree. It will also attract dirt. I find it usefull when you repack bearings: Spray it with wd40, douche it out with water, then add greese, and reseal.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    I agree. It will also attract dirt. I find it usefull when you repack bearings: Spray it with wd40, douche it out with water, then add greese, and reseal.
    But WD (water displacement) 40 displaces water. One can't (easily) use water to wash WD40 out, so try something like isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits. They'll rinse away the WD40 and then dry without leaving a residue of their own, which means fresh grease can be applied to clean, dry surfaces where it can work as it is supposed to.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    But WD (water displacement) 40 displaces water. One can't (easily) use water to wash WD40 out, so try something like isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits. They'll rinse away the WD40 and then dry without leaving a residue of their own, which means fresh grease can be applied to clean, dry surfaces where it can work as it is supposed to.
    Good idea. Thanks

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've come to prefer a nice hot shower. And a beer.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Dish soap & brushes + hose.

First give it a hose down (no nozzle on the hose)

Then I scrub down the messiest stuff first. This means I start with my chain (I use the Finish Line gadget w/ cheap household kitchen degreaser), cassette, wheels/tires.

After I wash the really grimey stuff, I dump the bucket out and fill it again.
    Then I wash the rest of the bike, starting from the highest places (seat and handlebars) and working my way down.

After I'm done rinsing it, I bounce it on its rear wheel to shake off as much water as possible. Then towel dry as much as I can. Finally I spray some GT85 (similiar to WD40) on the derailleurs and chain. It's really hot where I live though, so a lot of things dry out very fast.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    I've come to prefer a nice hot shower. And a beer.

Same here. Not for the bike though. I usually don't do too much but clean the mud off my fork and rear shock. Will spray it down occasionally and towel dry. I guess I should be taking better care but everything is still going strong after 2 years.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?