Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Best grip shift

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    Well I assumed since they move so easily without even being installed. There is play on the grips before the snap for gear change. Old shifters don't have that play. They just snap when you turn hard enough.
    You can't judge how any shifter is going to perform until you install and correctly adjust the cable / mech. They are designed to be operated with tension in the cable between the shifter and mechs. I prefer trigger shifters but I've ridden a mates AM set up with X0 grip shifts and they seem pretty solid to me no mis shifting or looseness noted

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So are you saying that the shifter doesn't move at all before it snaps and changes the gear? It seems that it has gradually growing resistance before the shifter snaps to a new gear (=play).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent.

The SRAM Attack shifters do have the spring resistance before snapping into a higher gear (smaller cog). So do the 9-speed SRAM twisters, like X0. I haven't used the new 10-speed twisters, but I assume they do too.

I used twist shifters since the early 90's and always preferred them, but I think a lot of it depends on what you are used to. In the past year I have switched to the new XT triggers and really like them. With the new features like vivid indexing, multi-release, instant release, and 2-way release, they really are nice.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent.
    9 speed as well.I think it changed around 2000 or 2001. I prefer the style you are describing (it is also what the OP bought). I think they shift faster.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there 9 speed grips that doesn't have that growing resistance?

jbf
    mtbr member
    I don't have the time to read all 7 pages of this thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but my favorite shifter of all time and what I run on both my current mountan bikes: Vintage SRAM 5.0 9-speed shorty shifters (cheap on ebay). These have the lowest profile of any SRAM 8 or 9-speed shifter I have found. Cut down the rubber grip shift section cut to about 20-25mm with a hacksaw (yes, shortened shorty's) and mount these up with full length Odi Rogue lock-on grips and you have the perfect cockpit.

I don't know what SRAM is thinking with the new 10-speed gripshift, but the new models over engineering and pricing is rediculous.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    I don't have the time to read all 7 pages of this thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but my favorite shifter of all time and what I run on both my current mountan bikes: Vintage SRAM 5.0 9-speed shorty shifters (cheap on ebay). .
    This is pretty much what the OP ended up buying.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Huckin' trails
    Is there 9 speed grips that doesn't have that growing resistance?
    Try removing the return spring that helps pushing the downshifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think I will just try to find one of those old 3x8 shifters and switch the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    You can't judge how any shifter is going to perform until you install and correctly adjust the cable / mech. They are designed to be operated with tension in the cable between the shifter and mechs. I prefer trigger shifters but I've ridden a mates AM set up with X0 grip shifts and they seem pretty solid to me no mis shifting or looseness noted

Ditto. The shifters out of the box feel nothing like they do on the bike, with derailleur spring tension on the cable. You can't tell how you will like them by holding them in your hand and twisting them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm hoping that SRAM will slightly adjust the older style 9 speed grip shifts and offer them up next year. These new XO and XX versions just seem over engineered and expensive.

mtbr member
    SRAM is quite good about pushing technology down. However, you aren't going to see new 9 speed. I think you'll see some X9 and maybe X9 3x10 and 2x10 twisters within a year. (Total guess.)

Retail price for X7 trigger shifter is $75, and X9 is $125. So I would expect to see around those prices for twisters. (More guessing, but rationalized.)

You can get the X0 twisters on Ebay for around $200. Just now I saw a 2x10 set for $179. Now, honestly, my question is this... bicycling can be a very costly sport, I understand. But why would you wait 6-12 months to save $100?

Just get the X0 now if you want or need them. Isn't your usage over the 6-12 months until X9 comes out worth the $75-100 you would save?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I'm hoping that SRAM will slightly adjust the older style 9 speed grip shifts and offer them up next year. These new XO and XX versions just seem over engineered and expensive.
    10 speed gripshift will probably trickle down to the lower lines. 10 speed X9, X7, etc should be more like the 9 speed more affordable design, I would think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    SRAM is quite good about pushing technology down. However, you aren't going to see new 9 speed. I think you'll see some X9 and maybe X9 3x10 and 2x10 twisters within a year. (Total guess.)

Retail price for X7 trigger shifter is $75, and X9 is $125. So I would expect to see around those prices for twisters. (More guessing, but rationalized.)

You can get the X0 twisters on Ebay for around $200. Just now I saw a 2x10 set for $179. Now, honestly, my question is this... bicycling can be a very costly sport, I understand. But why would you wait 6-12 months to save $100?

Just get the X0 now if you want or need them. Isn't your usage over the 6-12 months until X9 comes out worth the $75-100 you would save?

woops you beat me to it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's not about price for me it's just bang for the buck. I like the old design, but want it for 10 speed. The new design seems like overkill to me is all.

I liked the simplicity of the old design and weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can I use 3 speed gripshift with 2 speed crankset? I'm planning to get a new urban bike and use my old 3x8 gripshifts with it, but if I can get a bike with 2x9 and just change the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed cassette, I would have a lot more choises. Now I've been only looking for 3x8 and 3x9 speed bikes.

You can still find the 8-speed SRT800 Grip Shift shifters if you look around. I found a new-in-box set on ebay last year. They have a different feel than the SRAM Attack twist shifters. Both work well -- it's just personal preference on feel. When shifting to a smaller cog, the Grip Shifts just click directly to the next gear. The Attacks have some spring resistance first, then snap into the gear.

I'm using them with old XTR M900 derailleurs and XT 8-speed cassette (11-28t), and they work like a champ.
    Isn't that SRT600 in the picture?

mtbr member
    Can I use 3 speed gripshift with 2 speed crankset? I'm planning to get a new urban bike and use my old 3x8 gripshifts with it, but if I can get a bike with 2x9 and just change the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed cassette, I would have a lot more choises. Now I've been only looking for 3x8 and 3x9 speed bikes.

Isn't that SRT600 in the picture?

If your front 3x is microfriction than you can use it on any 2x or 3x.
    If its indexed 3x, you can use it on a 2x crank that was converted from a 3x crank. I'm not sure if the new 2x cranks have different spacing, which would mean you couldn't use an old indexed 3x.

CS2
    mtbr member
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent
    Considering how many people complain about how easy it is to shift accidentally, maybe the spring is to make it harder to shift on accident.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a new pair of X9 Grippers from CRC for $30 in 2009 and they work great just like the day I installed them. Can't imagine paying $200 to get the latest and greatest even if they are blingier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Considering how many people complain about how easy it is to shift accidentally, maybe the spring is to make it harder to shift on accident.
    Some models have a very small shifting area, about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the original twist mechanism.

On singletrack, covering your brakes with your index finger results in your grip being entirely through the 3 remaining fingers which are on the part of the fixed grip, not the twister.

Therefore it's impossible to accidentally shift in most situations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I've used SRT 600's from mid 90's for 15 years and I've never shifted the gear by accident. I mean not one time. Most of the time I hold the shifter part when I drive and there's no worries it will change if I don't want to. You can't do that with the new shifters. The newer shifters have growing resistance which will make accidental shifting easier.

mtbr member
    I've put 35-40 hours of riding on my X0 2x10 twist shifters and have a few more things to report.

The rubber of the grips is not squishy, but it is softer than I thought. It's turned the palms of all my gloves black from rubber and they will wear out entirely faster than any grips I've used in recent memory.

The inner part of the grip, where you twist the shifter, is wearing much better for pretty obvious reasons. I've got a set of LizardSkins grips ready to go, after scoping them out and realizing I can trim to fit. They aren't lock-on grips, so I will have to use the hardware that comes with the shifters to sort of cap-off the twist mech and let you use a non-sram grip.

The shifters still work great as would be expected. And I still haven't noticed a problem with the shifter cover rattling, as described in the official MTBR review from a few months ago. Every time I ride a bike with triggers I'm really glad to come back to my twisters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Might a kind soul measure the precise cable pull length of the detents of the front gripshifter? I am planning to hack a gripshifter into a replacement remote for a Fox CTD shock. The space needed between the detents is 7mm x 3 (0mm, 7mm, and 14mm for C, T and D, respectively).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Might a kind soul measure the precise cable pull length of the detents of the front gripshifter? I am planning to hack a gripshifter into a replacement remote for a Fox CTD shock. The space needed between the detents is 7mm x 3 (0mm, 7mm, and 14mm for C, T and D, respectively).
    If the gripshift detents are anything other than 7mm, how could you modify it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think that the detent disk can be hacked. If all fails, I will acquire a 5-speed or 6-speed shifter and use some of the intermediate positions. The CTD shock itself is not indexed, hence that's no biggie.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast