Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best grip shift

mtbr member
    Come on. It clearly is, or was, but the feature was deemed by SRAM to be unnecessary. It appears that everyone else besides me is upset about this, or at least disappointed. I've never looked at the indicators on any bike I've owned that had them.

No indicators on my motorcycles either, except a neutral light. The horror!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i guess the indicators are simple enough that i could add them myself if i wanted to...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i guess the indicators are simple enough that i could add them myself if i wanted to...
    Could always do...

I have to say for my part having and doing urban rides with my MTBs on my way to the trails and such, gears indicator is pretty useful when you get into traffic lights and such in a city that is full of hills... Otherwise on the trails not much...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How would you add numbers to the rubber part of XO/XX grip:

There's really no room for numbers and only way I can think of would be to use a marker pen and draw one white line to the plastic part and 10 white lines to the right rubber part to those places where the numbers normally are. Wouldn't look good but at least you would know what gear is on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    How would you add numbers to the rubber part of XO/XX grip:

There's really no room for numbers and only way I can think of would be to use a marker pen and draw one white line to the plastic part and 10 white lines to the right rubber part to those places where the numbers normally are. Wouldn't look good but at least you would know what gear is on.
    You could put the numbers on the plastic side and 1 dot on the rubber. You could find some small stick on number decals. I agree it probably won't look good.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You could put the numbers on the plastic side and 1 dot on the rubber.
    Yep, get a tattoo artist to use an engraving pen to engrave the numbers on the plastic, then fill the engraving with white paint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Maybe print the numbers on some sticker style paper and attach that on the plastic part.

mtbr member
    Shimano has those in line gear indicators, but unfortunately the different cable pull wouldn't make it compatible with SRAM. You could use one for the front however:

Universal Cycles -- Shimano XTR Inline Gear Indicator

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am not sure I would feel safe looking at a shifter while riding at any kind of speed.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidthefridgeguy View Post
    I am not sure I would feel safe looking at a shifter while riding at any kind of speed.
    Well maybe you should not look at your front tire too when you get into slow, technical sections
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Well maybe you should not look at your front tire too when you get into slow, technical sections
    which you really shouldn't sans for quick glances

Backfire on you Davie!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I've never looked at the indicators on any bike I've owned that had them.

No indicators on my motorcycles either, except a neutral light. The horror!
    But... the point for me, and what makes bike gears different from cars, motorcycles, and everything else, is that on a bike you have two or three chainrings. It's sometimes really useful to know if your next change needs to be on the rear and therefore with your righthand, or needs a front change and is therefore with your left hand.

So, until we're all riding the new SRAM 1x11 or 14 speed hub gears, there will still be a need to know what gear you're in on a bike. Personally, I've taken the indicators off my SLX and XT triggers and just look down at the cassette when I need to.

I think SRAM took the numbers off because gripshifts already look too much like your daughter's bike with the streamers on the bar ends, and the numbers just make it more more so.

PS: I am a fan of gripshift - have it on my hybrid, but prefer triggers for the technical stuff.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    what do you think of these? they don't seem like what you normally find on a retail standard equipment bike.:
    Bicycle Shifter SRAM ESP 7.0 Shifter Set ESP 7 Speed Grip Shift Grip Set | eBay
    Were the old SRAM ESP derailleurs 1:1 or 2:1 like Shimano?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

1:1

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Were the old SRAM ESP derailleurs 1:1 or 2:1 like Shimano?
    1:1.

Anything "ESP" is 1:1. I use a set of 9 speed 7.0 esp shifters from 2000 to this day with X9 rear der.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Huckin' trails
    Nvm.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I though ESP were 1:1 ratio, no ?
    OOPS! I got that backwards. They are 1:1. I'll correct the post.

mtbr member
    Ok guys I got my shifters. I went with the ESP 7.0 shifters, and long cage ESP deraliur in rear and sram 9x 2 speed in front

I am waiting on shox to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, and this build will be done. Have some 130mm marzochi FR shox going on it.

O yea, also have some super smooth old school mushroom grips coming. I'll trim them up to fit, but should look and especially feel great. After I get those and the shox I'll post final pics, in here and the hard tail thread.
    Fed back on the looks and build more than welcome. before new shox were at 32 lbs.

Last edited by Dave_; 09-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I think it looks pretty sweet. I like the white cables.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

Why the XO's? Aren't the X7, X9, and X0 9 speed grip-shifters all the same other than grip size/shape? SRAM has their weights and materials listed as identical. I'd save the $ and get the x7.

Yes, I am sure people will go on about how much better the X0's are, but I know for a fact that in the past the SRAM gripshifters of different levels were identical except for the graphics, and you saw the same thing: people saying the more expensive ones worked better.
    The number of detents between shifts is different between the X0 (9 speed) and the X7 twisters that I have. There are fewer detents on the X7.

The new X0 10 speed shifters make any previous grip shifters I have used (and I have used many over the years) feel like plastic toys, but they are definitely pricey. One other thing I really like about the new 10 speed twisters is that the brake levers don't seem to pushed as far inward as the old style would dictate. I hated having having to move my hands inward to comfortably access the brake levers on descents.

Also, I have busted up more than one twist shifter from crashing.

Huckin' trails
    What you mean by detents ?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    What you mean by detents ?
    To simplify in this case, detents = 'clicks' between shifts, and I am speaking of the front derailleur.

Huckin' trails
    I thought they were indexed rear shifter... so no clicks between shifts, only one click per shift. Unless you're talking about the front shifter ?

BTW I just place an order for a X0 3x9 twisters set... I hope it doesn't fail my expectations in regard to triggers. The order should be completed tomorrow and received by the middle of the week. Still have time to change my mind though...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The number of detents between shifts is different between the X0 (9 speed) and the X7 twisters that I have. There are fewer detents on the X7.
    Are these from the same model year?

mtbr member
    One other thing I really like about the new 10 speed twisters is that the brake levers don't seem to pushed as far inward as the old style would dictate.
    How could that be unless they are shorter? I haven't tried them but in the pictures they look to be about the same size as the 9 speed versions. No?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    How could that be unless they are shorter? I haven't tried them but in the pictures they look to be about the same size as the 9 speed versions. No?
    I went out to the garage and measured, and they are both (the 10 speed and the 9 speed versions) about 2-3/4" wide, so it's 'interesting' that I don't seem to have the hands in so far. Using Avid brakes on both setups, so no difference there

Huckin' trails
    I went out to the garage and measured, and they are both (the 10 speed and the 9 speed versions) about 2-3/4" wide, so it's 'interesting' that I don't seem to have the hands in so far. Using Avid brakes on both setups, so no difference there
    Maybe because your hand sit more inward on the grip ?

mtbr member
    finished bike. Those mushroom grips rock. Had to trim to fit, but whole hand fits on them so no chance of accidental shifting when yanking up on the bars or something. Has real nice thick rubber end caps too

Huckin' trails
    I just got my X0 3x9 today and since I can't install them on the bike for at least 2 months, I wanted to know if it's normal to have a pretty damn good resistance on the upshifts when holding the shifter in your hands ? Like almost turning the rubber grip off a few degrees... Downshifts are super smooth so I'll assume the coil spring also play a big role and it's gonna be different once mounted on a bar and hooked to my rd...

And they came with matching SRAM grips, basic ones, but at least I won't have to cut down my old ones.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Maybe the spring in the grip helps counterbalance the force of the derailer, so once its all together, it's perfectly balanced?

Huckin' trails
    Maybe the spring in the grip helps counterbalance the force of the derailer, so once its all together, it's perfectly balanced?
    That's what I'm thinking. Grrrr.... Hates buying new exciting stuff and having to wait a while before I can try it out and see for myself

Also got the SD7 levers and will be using a long cage X7 rd and 160/140 BB7 setup... Hopefully this bike is gonna be sweeter and lighter than it was.

mtbr member
    I just got my X0 3x9 today and since I can't install them on the bike for at least 2 months, I wanted to know if it's normal to have a pretty damn good resistance on the upshifts when holding the shifter in your hands ? Like almost turning the rubber grip off a few degrees... Downshifts are super smooth so I'll assume the coil spring also play a big role and it's gonna be different once mounted on a bar and hooked to my rd...

And they came with matching SRAM grips, basic ones, but at least I won't have to cut down my old ones.
    Yeah its normal. Once you hook them up it will feel perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    new to the forum, tried to make my own post but need 5 for that to happen...

hope no one minds me jumping on the OP coattails about twist shifters.

have been wanting to get away from trigger shifters(on current bike) and miss the grip shift(had on a previous bike). current bike is a 07 rockhopper, with a shimano 3x8 drivetrain, acera(FD) and a alivio(RD). i have the shimano "V-break" shifter lever combo(which i dont like at all).

the bike in mentioned is equipped with avid BB5 disc and want to swap out to the avid juicy levers to match, leaving me shifterless.....

i have been looking at.the Sram-X7-Twist-Shifter-Set over at jenson.com(need 10 post to post the link)

given the info above, will these work for me with my current set up? anyone have any luck with them?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpecializedMike View Post
    new to the forum, tried to make my own post but need 5 for that to happen...

hope no one minds me jumping on the OP coattails about twist shifters.

have been wanting to get away from trigger shifters(on current bike) and miss the grip shift(had on a previous bike). current bike is a 07 rockhopper, with a shimano 3x8 drivetrain, acera(FD) and a alivio(RD). i have the shimano "V-break" shifter lever combo(which i dont like at all).

the bike in mentioned is equipped with avid BB5 disc and want to swap out to the avid juicy levers to match, leaving me shifterless.....

i have been looking at.the Sram-X7-Twist-Shifter-Set over at jenson.com(need 10 post to post the link)

given the info above, will these work for me with my current set up? anyone have any luck with them?
    I believe if you read through this thread, you will find that you cannot use an x7 shifter with a Shimano rear derailleur.

If you want a sram twist shift that works with your current RD, you need an Attack shifter (in 8 speed): SRAM Attack Twist Shifter | SRAM

If you want to go 9 speed at this point, you could just get the 9 speed version of the Attack, and a 9 speed cassette, the RD will work with 9.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i did read "most" of it.... and saw about the attack/MRX shifters...

but now feel like a jackass cause you made me re-read jensons site.....

i missed the "Must be used with SRAM rear derailleurs" and aprently only read the "Drivetrain Spacing: Shimano/SRAM 9" and got confused...

can i get away with using a 9sp shifter on a 8ps cassette for the time being?
    looking into a spare wheelset (one trainer/road, one trail) so new rear gears are probaly in the works. ( at the moment just unsure on sticking with 8 or going to a 9 sp gear set out back)
    would just like to get the cockpit situated first stem/bars/shifter/levers), as its the part of the bike that will being me comfort while being on it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpecializedMike View Post
    i did read "most" of it.... and saw about the attack/MRX shifters...

but now feel like a jackass cause you made me re-read jensons site.....

i missed the "Must be used with SRAM rear derailleurs" and aprently only read the "Drivetrain Spacing: Shimano/SRAM 9" and got confused...

can i get away with using a 9sp shifter on a 8ps cassette for the time being?
    looking into a spare wheelset (one trainer/road, one trail) so new rear gears are probaly in the works. ( at the moment just unsure on sticking with 8 or going to a 9 sp gear set out back)
    would just like to get the cockpit situated first stem/bars/shifter/levers), as its the part of the bike that will being me comfort while being on it.
    No, you cannot use a 9 speed shifter with an 8 speed cassette. The spacing between the cassette cogs is different between 8 and 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the hierarchy of Grip Shift shifters? Like, LX, XT, XTR...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    just in case you were wondering, it's pretty much impossible to hit the trigger shifters in a crash as they are shielded by the brakes and pretty much everything else. if anything, a crash on your bars WOULD hit a gripshift..

i get that you may prefer gripshift, but your issues with trigger shifters are unfounded and illogical.
    Not to stir the pot , but I broke a couple of xt shiftersback in the day. after switching to grip shift I never broke my attacks or the x9's when I moved to all sram. I have seen grip shift housings cracked in endos thou. Im running XT now and it shifts fine. I miss the ability to grab a handful of gears and most of all the ability to trim the front derailleur.
    either system is great these days can't go wrong either way but grip shift for me was the more bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Has Shimano said anything if they are planning to release 3x10 shifters too?

mtbr member
    MrSpecialized:
    I switched to an SRAM derailleur. There not known for breaking as much as Shimano. They don't cost much either.
    My ESP 7.0 are 8 speed. I just set screws on derailleur so it can't jump off if I twist too far, and I removed the number 8, so it only shows 7 speeds, also on front gripshift, I removed the number 3 as well, since I run 2x7 speed.
    I much rather run SRAM drivetrain, but the best gear cog happens to be a shimano 7 speed. Shimano HG41 7 Speed and is best because it is lightest at 330 grams.I'm running all sram except these gears. Sram chain too, shifts like a dream.
    Wasn't much money to change everything over.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    MrSpecialized:
    I switched to an SRAM derailleur. There not known for breaking as much as Shimano. They don't cost much either.
    My ESP 7.0 are 8 speed. I just set screws on derailleur so it can't jump off if I twist too far, and I removed the number 8, so it only shows 7 speeds, also on front gripshift, I removed the number 3 as well, since I run 2x7 speed.
    I much rather run SRAM drivetrain, but the best gear cog happens to be a shimano 7 speed. Shimano HG41 7 Speed and is best because it is lightest at 330 grams.I'm running all sram except these gears. Sram chain too, shifts like a dream.
    Wasn't much money to change everything over.
    I must congratulate you for going the most sensible route here, and not getting sucked into buying all the new high end shiny bits. What you are using right now is a very good setup that works just as well in the rear as newer setups costing hundreds of dollars, assuming the gearing has the range you need. And the front might also be nearly as good, depending on your rings.
    Last edited by kapusta; 10-01-2012 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Does anyone know the hierarchy of Grip Shift shifters? Like, LX, XT, XTR...
    I only know SRAM. I know that Microshift also makes some but I'm not familiar with their product lineup. Also I don't know if SRAM has entry level stuff lower than Attack. They might.

SRAM grip shift options:

Attack, X3, X5, = 3x7 speed
    X3, X5, X7 = 3x8
    X5, X7, X9, X0 = 3x9
    X0, XX = 2x10 or 3x10

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I only know SRAM. I know that Microshift also makes some but I'm not familiar with their product lineup. Also I don't know if SRAM has entry level stuff lower than Attack. They might.

SRAM grip shift options:

Attack, X3, X5, = 3x7 speed
    X3, X5, X7 = 3x8
    X5, X7, X9, X0 = 3x9
    X0, XX = 2x10 or 3x10
    Attack are the Shimano compatible version of gripshift, and come in 8 and 9 speed as well.
    My Attack 3x9 have the same grip as the X-7 (Amy), and seem to be comparable in quality to my X-9's (which makes sense since X-7, X-9, and X-0 9 speed are basically all the same shifter).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You can still find the 8-speed SRT800 Grip Shift shifters if you look around. I found a new-in-box set on ebay last year. They have a different feel than the SRAM Attack twist shifters. Both work well -- it's just personal preference on feel. When shifting to a smaller cog, the Grip Shifts just click directly to the next gear. The Attacks have some spring resistance first, then snap into the gear.

I'm using them with old XTR M900 derailleurs and XT 8-speed cassette (11-28t), and they work like a champ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best grip shift-paul%2527s.jpg  

Best grip shift-xtr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I got the XO 3x10. Haven't installed yet and not sure if I will because the grip shifts down so easily and from the posts above it seems that the grip shifts up easily too when installed. You can't hold the grip if you hit brake or you pedal standing because the grip will roll and a gear will change. The old mid 90's grips are way better because they have good resistance so you don't switch gear while holding the grip and hitting the brake or when pedaling standing.
    Last edited by empre; 10-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    the break?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I have never mis-shifted while braking with my 2x10 X0 Twist Shifters. I have also not mis-shifted when lifting the front wheel or bunnyhopping. If you ride the shifters a short while you have have no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    *brake

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have never mis-shifted while braking with my 2x10 X0 Twist Shifters. I have also not mis-shifted when lifting the front wheel or bunnyhopping. If you ride the shifters a short while you have have no problems.
    I put the gripshift on my handlebar and it simply moves too easily, at least for my taste. If the grip had as good resistance down as it has up (when not installed) it would be good. I like to be able to hold the shifter part when driving. With the new gripshifts it is not possible.

mtbr member
    I put the gripshift on my handlebar and it simply moves too easily, at least for my taste. If the grip had as good resistance down as it has up (when not installed) it would be good. I like to be able to hold the shifter part when driving. With the new gripshifts it is not possible.
    Are you just assuming you won't like it without even having a ride with them?
    I hold the shifters while riding and I NEVER have a mis-shift. After you use the shifters for a while, you might love them, or not, but I wouldn't assume without giving them a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Are you just assuming you won't like it without even having a ride with them?
    I hold the shifters while riding and I NEVER have a mis-shift. After you use the shifters for a while, you might love them, or not, but I wouldn't assume without giving them a try.
    Well I assumed since they move so easily without even being installed. There is play on the grips before the snap for gear change. Old shifters don't have that play. They just snap when you turn hard enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I assumed since they move so easily without even being installed. There is play on the grips before the snap for gear change. Old shifters don't have that play. They just snap when you turn hard enough.
    You can't judge how any shifter is going to perform until you install and correctly adjust the cable / mech. They are designed to be operated with tension in the cable between the shifter and mechs. I prefer trigger shifters but I've ridden a mates AM set up with X0 grip shifts and they seem pretty solid to me no mis shifting or looseness noted

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So are you saying that the shifter doesn't move at all before it snaps and changes the gear? It seems that it has gradually growing resistance before the shifter snaps to a new gear (=play).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent.

The SRAM Attack shifters do have the spring resistance before snapping into a higher gear (smaller cog). So do the 9-speed SRAM twisters, like X0. I haven't used the new 10-speed twisters, but I assume they do too.

I used twist shifters since the early 90's and always preferred them, but I think a lot of it depends on what you are used to. In the past year I have switched to the new XT triggers and really like them. With the new features like vivid indexing, multi-release, instant release, and 2-way release, they really are nice.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent.
    9 speed as well.I think it changed around 2000 or 2001. I prefer the style you are describing (it is also what the OP bought). I think they shift faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there 9 speed grips that doesn't have that growing resistance?

jbf
    mtbr member
    I don't have the time to read all 7 pages of this thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but my favorite shifter of all time and what I run on both my current mountan bikes: Vintage SRAM 5.0 9-speed shorty shifters (cheap on ebay). These have the lowest profile of any SRAM 8 or 9-speed shifter I have found. Cut down the rubber grip shift section cut to about 20-25mm with a hacksaw (yes, shortened shorty's) and mount these up with full length Odi Rogue lock-on grips and you have the perfect cockpit.

I don't know what SRAM is thinking with the new 10-speed gripshift, but the new models over engineering and pricing is rediculous.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    I don't have the time to read all 7 pages of this thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but my favorite shifter of all time and what I run on both my current mountan bikes: Vintage SRAM 5.0 9-speed shorty shifters (cheap on ebay). .
    This is pretty much what the OP ended up buying.

Huckin' trails
    Is there 9 speed grips that doesn't have that growing resistance?
    Try removing the return spring that helps pushing the downshifts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think I will just try to find one of those old 3x8 shifters and switch the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    You can't judge how any shifter is going to perform until you install and correctly adjust the cable / mech. They are designed to be operated with tension in the cable between the shifter and mechs. I prefer trigger shifters but I've ridden a mates AM set up with X0 grip shifts and they seem pretty solid to me no mis shifting or looseness noted

Ditto. The shifters out of the box feel nothing like they do on the bike, with derailleur spring tension on the cable. You can't tell how you will like them by holding them in your hand and twisting them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm hoping that SRAM will slightly adjust the older style 9 speed grip shifts and offer them up next year. These new XO and XX versions just seem over engineered and expensive.

mtbr member
    SRAM is quite good about pushing technology down. However, you aren't going to see new 9 speed. I think you'll see some X9 and maybe X9 3x10 and 2x10 twisters within a year. (Total guess.)

Retail price for X7 trigger shifter is $75, and X9 is $125. So I would expect to see around those prices for twisters. (More guessing, but rationalized.)

You can get the X0 twisters on Ebay for around $200. Just now I saw a 2x10 set for $179. Now, honestly, my question is this... bicycling can be a very costly sport, I understand. But why would you wait 6-12 months to save $100?

Just get the X0 now if you want or need them. Isn't your usage over the 6-12 months until X9 comes out worth the $75-100 you would save?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I'm hoping that SRAM will slightly adjust the older style 9 speed grip shifts and offer them up next year. These new XO and XX versions just seem over engineered and expensive.
    10 speed gripshift will probably trickle down to the lower lines. 10 speed X9, X7, etc should be more like the 9 speed more affordable design, I would think.

mtbr member
    SRAM is quite good about pushing technology down. However, you aren't going to see new 9 speed. I think you'll see some X9 and maybe X9 3x10 and 2x10 twisters within a year. (Total guess.)

Retail price for X7 trigger shifter is $75, and X9 is $125. So I would expect to see around those prices for twisters. (More guessing, but rationalized.)

You can get the X0 twisters on Ebay for around $200. Just now I saw a 2x10 set for $179. Now, honestly, my question is this... bicycling can be a very costly sport, I understand. But why would you wait 6-12 months to save $100?

Just get the X0 now if you want or need them. Isn't your usage over the 6-12 months until X9 comes out worth the $75-100 you would save?

woops you beat me to it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's not about price for me it's just bang for the buck. I like the old design, but want it for 10 speed. The new design seems like overkill to me is all.

I liked the simplicity of the old design and weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can I use 3 speed gripshift with 2 speed crankset? I'm planning to get a new urban bike and use my old 3x8 gripshifts with it, but if I can get a bike with 2x9 and just change the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed cassette, I would have a lot more choises. Now I've been only looking for 3x8 and 3x9 speed bikes.

You can still find the 8-speed SRT800 Grip Shift shifters if you look around. I found a new-in-box set on ebay last year. They have a different feel than the SRAM Attack twist shifters. Both work well -- it's just personal preference on feel. When shifting to a smaller cog, the Grip Shifts just click directly to the next gear. The Attacks have some spring resistance first, then snap into the gear.

I'm using them with old XTR M900 derailleurs and XT 8-speed cassette (11-28t), and they work like a champ.
    Isn't that SRT600 in the picture?

mtbr member
    Can I use 3 speed gripshift with 2 speed crankset? I'm planning to get a new urban bike and use my old 3x8 gripshifts with it, but if I can get a bike with 2x9 and just change the 9 speed cassette to 8 speed cassette, I would have a lot more choises. Now I've been only looking for 3x8 and 3x9 speed bikes.

Isn't that SRT600 in the picture?

If your front 3x is microfriction than you can use it on any 2x or 3x.
    If its indexed 3x, you can use it on a 2x crank that was converted from a 3x crank. I'm not sure if the new 2x cranks have different spacing, which would mean you couldn't use an old indexed 3x.

CS2
    mtbr member
    The old 8-speed Grip Shifts from the 90's didn't have the growing resistance before snapping into gear -- the cable moved as the grip moved toward the next detent
    Considering how many people complain about how easy it is to shift accidentally, maybe the spring is to make it harder to shift on accident.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a new pair of X9 Grippers from CRC for $30 in 2009 and they work great just like the day I installed them. Can't imagine paying $200 to get the latest and greatest even if they are blingier.

mtbr member
    Considering how many people complain about how easy it is to shift accidentally, maybe the spring is to make it harder to shift on accident.
    Some models have a very small shifting area, about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the original twist mechanism.

On singletrack, covering your brakes with your index finger results in your grip being entirely through the 3 remaining fingers which are on the part of the fixed grip, not the twister.

Therefore it's impossible to accidentally shift in most situations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've used SRT 600's from mid 90's for 15 years and I've never shifted the gear by accident. I mean not one time. Most of the time I hold the shifter part when I drive and there's no worries it will change if I don't want to. You can't do that with the new shifters. The newer shifters have growing resistance which will make accidental shifting easier.

mtbr member
    I've put 35-40 hours of riding on my X0 2x10 twist shifters and have a few more things to report.

The rubber of the grips is not squishy, but it is softer than I thought. It's turned the palms of all my gloves black from rubber and they will wear out entirely faster than any grips I've used in recent memory.

The inner part of the grip, where you twist the shifter, is wearing much better for pretty obvious reasons. I've got a set of LizardSkins grips ready to go, after scoping them out and realizing I can trim to fit. They aren't lock-on grips, so I will have to use the hardware that comes with the shifters to sort of cap-off the twist mech and let you use a non-sram grip.

The shifters still work great as would be expected. And I still haven't noticed a problem with the shifter cover rattling, as described in the official MTBR review from a few months ago. Every time I ride a bike with triggers I'm really glad to come back to my twisters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Might a kind soul measure the precise cable pull length of the detents of the front gripshifter? I am planning to hack a gripshifter into a replacement remote for a Fox CTD shock. The space needed between the detents is 7mm x 3 (0mm, 7mm, and 14mm for C, T and D, respectively).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Might a kind soul measure the precise cable pull length of the detents of the front gripshifter? I am planning to hack a gripshifter into a replacement remote for a Fox CTD shock. The space needed between the detents is 7mm x 3 (0mm, 7mm, and 14mm for C, T and D, respectively).
    If the gripshift detents are anything other than 7mm, how could you modify it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think that the detent disk can be hacked. If all fails, I will acquire a 5-speed or 6-speed shifter and use some of the intermediate positions. The CTD shock itself is not indexed, hence that's no biggie.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    I think that the detent disk can be hacked. If all fails, I will acquire a 5-speed or 6-speed shifter and use some of the intermediate positions. The CTD shock itself is not indexed, hence that's no biggie.
    This page has a chart showing the cable pull for many shifter types: Bicycles/Maintenance and Repair/Gear-changing Dimensions - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

It looks like there are a few SRAM and Shimano shifter types that pull very close to 3mm. The only SRAM one made for a SRAM RD is 10 speed (3.1mm), which is only available in grip shift at the X0 level, which is a bit pricy (over $100 for the rear). However, keep in mind that SRAM also makes gripshifts for shimano RD's (indicated on the chart as 2:1 as opposed to 1:1). Looks like a 7 speed SRAM shifter made for shimano would be 2.9mm.

I believe the SRAM MRX 7 speed (which is a gripshift) will be what you are looking for: SRAM MRX Pro Twist Shifter | SRAM

The rear only can be had for under $15

Let us know how this works.

mtbr member
    A front gripshift will pull 11mm with the first shift and 7mm with the second. This is standard across all front shifters, whether SRAM/Shimano, 9/10 speed.

You can maybe use an Attack micro-shift front shifter which doesn't have the indexing, just seven or eight clicks across the whole movement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    A front gripshift will pull 11mm with the first shift and 7mm with the second. This is standard across all front shifters, whether SRAM/Shimano, 9/10 speed.

You can maybe use an Attack micro-shift front shifter which doesn't have the indexing, just seven or eight clicks across the whole movement.
    Thanks Perth! This is a crucial piece of information. When you say "the first shift is 11mm", do you mean the shift from the largest to the middle chainring (i.e. cable goes from tightest to middle)? If that's the case, then I am out of luck! If however the 11mm jump is from the middle to the smallest chainring (but I doubt that!), then I can use the front shifter with no issues. The shock will not pull the cable for the last 4mm, but that doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker.

mtbr member
    Sorry, should have made it clearer - the shift from granny to middle takes 11mm of cable, and the shift from middle to big takes 7mm. And remember a front or rear mech has a spring to help take up the slack cable and return the lever. If the shock needs an active pull both ways to move between settings, then using a shifter may not work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Sorry, should have made it clearer - the shift from granny to middle takes 11mm of cable, and the shift from middle to big takes 7mm. And remember a front or rear mech has a spring to help take up the slack cable and return the lever. If the shock needs an active pull both ways tpo actuate it then using a shifter may not work.
    Aahh, that's good news. Do you believe that it may work? In my construction the cable will simply be a bit slack in the "D" position. Correct?

mtbr member
    I think your issue will be that the shifter will 'pull' the lever on the shock ok, but won't 'push' it back the other way. A shifter is designed to pull cable only, the movement in the other direction is due to the spring tension on the mech. By trying to push cable I fear the cable outer will just separate from the shifter body rather than the lever on the shock move.

Huckin' trails

Best grip shift

Just run a coil spring at the end of the cable on the fork knob, to make a push action. I'm sure you'll figure something out

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey guys. Just picked up a '06 GF sugar 293 which came with trigger shifters and I'm looking to convert to grip shifts. The bike has an X9 rear derailleur (from '06) and a deore front derailleur.

From what I've read in this thread, I should be able to pick up any set of X7 or X9 grip shifts and they should be compatible. Is that correct?

Also, would there be any benefit changing my deore front derailleur to an X7 or X9 besides satisfying my OCD?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Even though I currently have SRAM XX gripshift - I still love the old, 9-speed X0 - which is way cheaper, lighter and has micro-trim adjustment, something the XX 2x10 no longer does.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vball_MTNBKR View Post
    Yep. Mine are now on my Cannondale Bad Boy commuter. I have owned them since 2004, and put about 4500 miles on them. Still working great!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice....Thanks Zachariah.

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not there would be any advantage switching my deore front derailleur to an X7 or X9 if I went with the X0 grip shifts?

Thanks.

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Even though I currently have SRAM XX gripshift - I still love the old, 9-speed X0 - which is way cheaper, lighter and has micro-trim adjustment, something the XX 2x10 no longer does.

That's messed up. That trim adjustment is almost essential imho.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    ^^ I just put a set of those on my wife's new Juliana build. They shift like buttah.

I find that the 2x10 does not need FD trim. It can be arduous work to tune it perfectly, but it's entirely possible to setup the 2x10 to use all 20 gears without any chain rub on the front derailleur cage. --Assuming you are using a SRAM 2x10 FD that is.

It is impossible to do so with the 3x9, that's why it has trim.

mtbr member
    Also-- I don't know when SRAM came out with them, but they now make the 2x10 / 3x10 Gripshift lock-on grips in 3 sizes: 75mm, 100mm (original/factory size), 125mm.

I have pretty big hands-- XL glove-- and I didn't really like the 100mm grip but I do love lock-on grips so I did not cut them down or replace them until just last week or so. The 75mm grips are awesome!

I am not sure who would want the 125mm grip. The only thing I can think of is someone wearing XXL gloves AND who moves their hands to the outside of the twist shifter when not shifting-- presumably so they can yank on the bars without accidental shifts.

I don't have any trouble with keeping my thumbs against the inner flange of the shifter and yanking on the bars. I would guess others ride like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vball_MTNBKR View Post
    Nice....Thanks Zachariah.

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not there would be any advantage switching my deore front derailleur to an X7 or X9 if I went with the X0 grip shifts?

Thanks.
    That's entirely up to you. Your Deore FD is the same level as X7. I ran a vintage Shimano XTR FD-M952....and it worked beautifully.

mtbr member
    ^^ I just put a set of those on my wife's new Juliana build. They shift like buttah.

I find that the 2x10 does not need FD trim. It can be arduous work to tune it perfectly, but it's entirely possible to setup the 2x10 to use all 20 gears without any chain rub on the front derailleur cage. --Assuming you are using a SRAM 2x10 FD that is.

It is impossible to do so with the 3x9, that's why it has trim.

On the other hand, there really isn't any good reason to not have the micro adjustment.
    With my 2x9 I enjoy bieng able to slam from small to big by overshooting and then trimming it back. It's a super fast and super solid way to shift the front.

mtbr member
    Sure there is. If there's no adjustment when it moves it's changing rings-- Period. If you shift fast, you can be sure you're in the right place, no chain rub.

I'm guessing SRAM's real reason was cost and weight, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    That's entirely up to you. Your Deore FD is the same level as X7. I ran a vintage Shimano XTR FD-M952....and it worked beautifully.
    OK....cool. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi,
    I have an xo gripshift set up as a 1x10 on my bike and I've come into trouble while changing the derailleur cable. To make it simple the coil return spring popped out of place and I cannot figure out how to put it back properly. The difficulty that I'm experiencing takes place when I try to close it up, it just pops back out of place.
    If anyone out there has experienced this and was able to get it back together your help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

mtbr member
    You don't have to disassemble the shifter to change the cable. Shift it to the smallest gear (forward on the right grip, back on the left) and if you have the clamp cover off you can push the cable and the end will come right out.

Since you've already disassembled it, however, I would seek out SRAM's help via their FB page or a bike shop that sells SRAM who can contact them and fix the shifter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 7