Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best of the externall BBs?

Truvativ, Race Face, Shimano, FSA? Who's the favorite in the realm of external bottom bracket cranks?

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Truvativ, Race Face, Shimano, FSA? Who's the favorite in the realm of external bottom bracket cranks?
    Please let us know what you mean by "best".

Are you looking for lightweight cranks and bb?
    Stiffness?
    Durability?
    Spinning forever?
    Easy to install?
    Cost?

Let us know what is most important, and you'll get better answers.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Define my terms, sure.

Well, durability. I sure would like to get more than a year out of a BB.

Serviceability. I was under the impression that you could pop open the cups on at least some of these and clean and regrease the bearings. That appeals to me in lieu of durability. See above.

Weight. Draw your own conclusion here.

Stiffness. I realize comparing the stiffness of different cranks is sort of like wine snobs distinguishing two merlots by smell alone, but let's try anyway. Who gets the stiffness ribbon?

That about covers it.

Oh, no huckin' or buckin'. Just trail riding, racing, mortal mountain biking.
    Last edited by GrantB; 02-15-2006 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't believe no one has an opinion, informed or otherwise, about this topic.

Chrome Toaster
    For the best stiffness vs cost vs weight ratio and ease of install XT gets the nod. Serviceability is just as easy on all of them since its the same system.
    Durability should easily be over a year with any of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi

Singletrack magazine issue 23 Sept 2005 gave the nod to XTR and Race Face Deus XC
    (crank and BB combination)

I am on my third set of BB in a year, they seem to be very easily damaged with water, I never use the hose but sometimes in this sport of ours I encounter water on the trail. I have not crossed any streams with my last BB but it has only lasted 4 months!!
    So I want to know which BB is the most water resistant, and if that can't be acheived which is the easiest to service.
    I ride an Intense 5.5 with XTR drivetrain

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Hmmm...

They all seem to be copies of each other. Alloy cup (with the same SHIMANO spline) holding a sealed cartridge with a plastic sleeve/cover snapped in. I doubt you will see marked differences between the systems in weight or durability, although I have not studied all of them carefully. I have used FSA and XTR, neither one seems superior.

FSA is starting to offer Ceramic cartridge bearing Mega Exo bottom brackets, I think MSRP is about $190. Ceramic will last much longer than regular steel.

You can insure longer BB life with most of these BBs simply by drilling a small drain hole in the bottom of your BB shell. Standing water in the BB shell seems to kill these things faster than water coming in from the outside.

My 2 cents...

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yes thats what my Bike Mechanic told me
    I will ask him to drills a drain hole like you suggest

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    They all seem to be copies of each other. Alloy cup (with the same SHIMANO spline) holding a sealed cartridge with a plastic sleeve/cover snapped in. I doubt you will see marked differences between the systems in weight or durability, although I have not studied all of them carefully. I have used FSA and XTR, neither one seems superior.

FSA is starting to offer Ceramic cartridge bearing Mega Exo bottom brackets, I think MSRP is about $190. Ceramic will last much longer than regular steel.

You can insure longer BB life with most of these BBs simply by drilling a small drain hole in the bottom of your BB shell. Standing water in the BB shell seems to kill these things faster than water coming in from the outside.

My 2 cents...

JMH
    It's late, so I'm probably going to sound real stupid. Drill the hole in the frame? Or in the cups of the bb?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Sorry...

XSL_WiLL- Drill the frame. Just a tiny hole will work, 1/8" or smaller. Water can enter the frame in a few places, but it enters most easily through the seat collar and pools in the BB indefinitely. Look under your bike while it's sitting normally on the ground, mark with a sharpie the lowest point in the center of the shell, flip bike over and carefully drill. You can actually do this with the BB inside as long as you are gentle and don't go ramming the drill bit through the plastic sleeve between the cups. It's best if this sleeve remains intact to provide a little more protection.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's late, so I'm probably going to sound real stupid. Drill the hole in the frame? Or in the cups of the bb?

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by EyoreRox
    Hi

Singletrack magazine issue 23 Sept 2005 gave the nod to XTR and Race Face Deus XC

I am on my third set of BB in a year, they seem to be very easily damaged with water, I never use the hose but sometimes in this sport of ours I encounter water on the trail. I have not crossed any streams with my last BB but it has only lasted 4 months!!
    So I want to know which BB is the most water resistant, and if that can't be acheived which is the easiest to service.
    Stop buying new BB and learn to relube them. It will save you money and a single bearing will last years. Your worn cups are probably just fine and need nothing more than lubrication. They are all roughly as easy to service, same system. More important than the sealing is the quality of the grease.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I wish it was as simple as that

Chrome Toaster
    I wish it was as simple as that
    It is as simple as that. Theres no big science behind it.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    It is as simple as that. Theres no big science behind it.
    Hecubus is being humble about his stellar post on how to service the BB bearings. It's bookmark worthy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just read Hecubus' post about how to service the bearings. That's what I'm talking about! The ability to do that to the BB is a major selling point. But to recap, the BBs themselves are more or less the same across brands?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi

My Race Face Deux have been a disaster. Tons of drag, creaking, squeaking, and then the splines developed play. Had them warranteed, which took 6 months. They are now on a loaner bike I maintain for out of town friends. I can't sell them with a clear concience, they are that bad. The RF were replaced with XTs which have been flawless.

DJ

otb club member

Shameless plug...

OK, for anyone who has trashed their outboard bearings due to crappy factory grease washing out or junk getting in, don't spend the money on replacement cups. For $20.00 you can rebuild them with better bearings: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id101.html . The bearings have a smaller OD, so they use larger balls and come packed with better grease. The plastic cap/shim is replaced with a seal that directly contacts the spindle, so it keeps moisture out better.

banned
    I love Enduro! Wooo!

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    $20.00 you can rebuild them with better bearings:
    Saaaweet! I've got a brand new FSA Mega EXO BB crank I bought in November and still haven't installed yet. This motivates me to give up the sqare tapers and get the new setup on there now that I know I have a great source for what looks to be an outstanding bearing replacement option. Thanks.

otb club member

Product Update

For those that are interested in the Outboard Bearing Upgrade Kit, we have full color installation instructions so you can have some idea of what it would involve to change out the bearings. Use the "Click here for installation instructions" link or just click on the product photo on this page: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id101.html .

Edit: Forgot to mention that we will have some custom tools coming out soon to make the job easier.

Boyeeee
    I just received my bearing kit for if/when my RF Deus bearings decide to go bad. How do I go about getting the new tools when they come out?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    I just received my bearing kit for if/when my RF Deus bearings decide to go bad. How do I go about getting the new tools when they come out?
    I can post it here. Or you can email at chris@enduroforkseals.com and I can put you on a waiting list and notify you by email when they're ready.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Do the Raceface BB cups need the modified punch like the Shimano version?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    Do the Raceface BB cups need the modified punch like the Shimano version?
    Hmm. Can't say for sure. The spec could be slightly different. They don't use the arm cap and pinch bolt system that Shimano and FSA use, either. I guess I'll have to get my hands on a complete RF crankset, do the conversion, and make a separate set of instructions...

If somebody wants to send me some old RF outboard cups, I'll upgrade them for no charge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I can send you some RaceFace Deus XC bearings.

I have a set of Deus XC cups with frozen (rusted) bearings I could send you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast