mtbr member
    Sep 2012

best Drivetrain-- eagle or hybrid eagle?

Need to get a new drive train for a bike im building up.. Was just going to go eagle(xx1 or x01 i dont care)... But started to look at a hybred setup... What do you guys think?

The hybrid system would be: Eagle cranks/e13 9-46 cassette/11sp derailleur/nx gripshift... With this setup-- i save weight 50-60g(55g cassette).. Its less expensive-$255 (cassette -70$,shifter i have -145$,11sp der -40$).. and has more range (though very close)..

The eagle system goods and bads..
    (bad first)
    1. Expensive
    2. Heavier
    3. Derailleur hangs a bit low
    (Good)
    4. All 1 system designed to work together

Hybrid system
    (good)
    1. cheaper (save 250)
    2. lighter (save 50-60g)(not much i know but it is what it is)
    3. More range (511% to 500%)
    4. 11sp deralleur doesnt hang as low
    5. the e13 cassette can be replaced in sections should one part get hurt.
    (bad)
    1. not all designed together.. (troubles?)..

Lots of reasons to look at the hybrid.. My only concern would be-- is it the right move.. Lots of guys seem to be liking the e13 cassette.. Would i notice a difference from the eagle cassette to the e13?

what do you guys think.. Anyone try both cassettes?

since 4/10/2009
    Why Eagle cranks? Seems rather silly to drop big coin on those, yet cheap out on an NX shifter.

I frankly don't see the incentive to go to Eagle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I can't say I understand your "hybrid" system. Its just an 11 speed system basically using an Eagle chainring. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when its all 11 speed, its not really Eagle at all. I have a e 13 cassette and I like it, but it does not shift as smoothly as Shimano or SRAM. So if you have the cash I would say go for full Eagle.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Harold: The eagle cranks is the area i think sram actually spent a lot of time on.. The arms are lighter and they reshaped the ring... Im building up a trek -- and am limited on the cranks i can use so these seem to be the best of the few i can use.. (bb95 ugh).. As for the nx shifter.. Its not that im trying to be cheap --- rather-- a buddy that owns a bike shop took apart various gripshifters and realized -- they are basically the same thing inside.. The only difference is a carbon plate on top or some part that didnt really effect performance.. So i get the nx-- they are cheap-- and i can sand them down to a flat black finish -- they work great and look nice(stealth).. If i break one-- i can replace it for 20ish bucks lol.. sweet..

ljsmith:.. I hear ya-- though its not reallly just a 11spd system.. Its a 11sp system that gets the same range as the 12 speed-- weighs less-- shorter derailleur(father from the ground)--costs less and "performs as well(?)" as a full eagle system(this is the part im trying to find out)..

So your saying the the e13 cassette doesnt shift as well ? Interesting-- this is what im trying to find out.. What are the parts of my hybrid system that doesnt work as expected.. Do you have the 9-44 or the 9-46?.. I have really only read about guys using the 9-46 all saying it shifts as well as their stock shimano/sram cassette.. Nice hearing a alt point of view..

The part im stuggling with is-- i see many more advantages going with the hybrid(lighter cheaper stronger etc).. Though am i getting those things at the cost of smooth performance?

NedwannaB
    Nothing wrong with mix matching like kind parts at all. Main question is will the Eagle chainring work with 11spd chain? Just curious no efing clue to think it wouldn't on a 1x.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Why not go with XTR cranks, cheaper than Eagle only about 30g heavier, AL-no inserts to worry about.

Or just get normal Sram cranks with an Eagle ring.

Yes Sram has said the Eagle rings work with 11 speed.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Why not go with XTR cranks, cheaper than Eagle only about 30g heavier, AL-no inserts to worry about.

Or just get normal Sram cranks with an Eagle ring.

Yes Sram has said the Eagle rings work with 11 speed.
    Why the Eagle ring then if one not going x12?

mtbr member
    FWIW: SRAM has new 11 speed rings with the Eagle tooth profile if that's what you're after.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Why the Eagle ring then if one not going x12?
    Because of the shape if that's what he was after.- I didn't know they had released 11 speed rings with the profile.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    well its not JUST the tooth profile im after---though that is for sure part of it.. Im setting up a new bike-- so will need cranks and the fact the new eagle cranks are lighter/stronger/have the new tooth profile-- all adds up to a nice crank for the bike...

Im more looking at the idea of cherry picking the best parts that work together to end up with and even better system then just a "buy our kit and dont think for yourself" type system... The hybrid system is lighter--- cheaper-- more range--isnt this all good stuff? Isnt this all the stuff we want--lighter/stronger/cheaper/rangier lol...

Only concern is-- well-- not sure what it is .. Maybe shifting quality? maybe not--lots of guys saying the e13 shifts great... maybe to far of jumps for a nice cadence all the way up the 11sp 511% cassette? I dont know..

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    well its not JUST the tooth profile im after---though that is for sure part of it.. Im setting up a new bike-- so will need cranks and the fact the new eagle cranks are lighter/stronger/have the new tooth profile-- all adds up to a nice crank for the bike...

Im more looking at the idea of cherry picking the best parts that work together to end up with and even better system then just a "buy our kit and dont think for yourself" type system... The hybrid system is lighter--- cheaper-- more range--isnt this all good stuff? Isnt this all the stuff we want--lighter/stronger/cheaper/rangier lol...

Only concern is-- well-- not sure what it is .. Maybe shifting quality? maybe not--lots of guys saying the e13 shifts great... maybe to far of jumps for a nice cadence all the way up the 11sp 511% cassette? I dont know..
    You can always budgetbat first and try the SunRace 11/46t. Then follow up with the e13 later once your build is all settled in for awhile.👍

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lighter than what? Stronger than what?
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Lighter than what? Stronger than what?
    lighter and stronger than the previous xx1/xo1 cranks

since 4/10/2009
    From a purely functional standpoint, it's usually better to spend your money on a better shifter than on chichi cranks.

The whole "my buddy who owns a shop has taken them apart and says they're basically the same" isn't even close. They might have the same shaped parts, but the more expensive ones have more than "just" a carbon plate. There are going to be different materials involved in a LOT of places that add up to some notable differences. Maybe not initially under ideal conditions, but will be reflected as longer wear life and better performance under harsher conditions. I've ridden cheap sram shifters and expensive ones, and there's a notable difference in shift quality, especially the more use they get. Same with Shimano. And sure, I get maximizing value. I typically pair a nice shifter with a less expensive derailleur, since they wear faster and break in crashes much more easily. I'm more likely to need replacing it. Cranks? Can't say I've ever NEEDED to replace a halfway decent set of cranks before. Get yourself some reasonable GX cranks, put the chainring on that you want, and spend that extra cash on a better shifter that will actually make something work better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    lighter and stronger than the previous xx1/xo1 cranks
    A whole 27g grams- total worth it!
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    haha... i love this place.. you guys are the best ...... \_/ first beer is on me..

Harold.. I hear ya about the "i know a guy" aspect.. But i personally have taken apart the nx shifter i have and my own personal xx1 gs sifter-- there are more similar the one would expect.. One aluminum ring vs a plastic one on the nx etc.. I actually like my nx gripshift.. It shifts 99% as well as my xx1 gs ever did.. I hear ya about the "over time" durability.. But for 20 bucks or whatever i paid-- i can just get a new one -- in fact i can get 5 or 6 for the same price as one xx1 ... I actually broke 2 xx1 gs's.. Never sent them in cause it was my fault(crash).. So that is 250 bucks of gs shifters -- how many nx shiftes could i get lol.. wholelatta..

twotone... I hear ya.. i didnt say it was a lot lighter-- but they are supposed to be stronger and even if they were the same weight.. id be stoked to have stronger for same weight ..

With all this said.. After talking to a local shop that actually sold 3 or 4 e13 cassettes )9-46)-- they said, though the cassettes were nice-- they would creak in the joints after not many miles at all.. Lots of dust here and guess thats the problem..

So under ideal situations (non dusty) the e13 hybrid 2017 super eagle group might work a bit better.. But f#$k it-- going to get a eagle xo1 or xx1 and ride my bike.. lol..

Now the question is-- does the gold actually make a difference for wear on the eagle cassette? I actually like the all black better vs the pimpy gold.. Hmmm xo1 cassette di2 shifters with xx1 cranks... nowwwwww were talkin lol jk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    E13 cassette shifts great, awesome spacing, great range, great customer service, but the aluminum rings wear out causing the chain to jump teeth mostly in 3rd gear, about every 2 months (only about 100 miles for me) under my riding conditions.

I have experienced this (2x) as well as several other local riders.

Hopefully they will soon offer the low gears in steel to address this issue. The steel cogs exhibit no wear at all.

I do love the product otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I can only assume that some of you have not tried Eagle. The main benefit is not the gears or weight. The main benefits are the shift quality, longevity and lack of noise. My Eagle system is so much smoother and quieter than Shimano or SRAM 1 x 11 systems. From what I have read most of this comes from the design of the chain and front chainring. You are not going to get this with some cobbled together E13 cassette system, I know this because I have had a SRAM 1x11 speed system and a Shimano 1x11 that both used an E13 cassette. Maybe you could use the 12 speed chain on 11 speed with an Eagle chainring and it might be just as good.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1