mtbr member

Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?

Sunrace have new 11-40 9-speed cassettes, the CSM980 and the CSM990. I am considering going to a 1x9 (32 tooth chainring on 11-40 tooth cassette) drivetrain on my Specialized AWOL in the future using one of the new cassettes.

The question is which derailleur would work on a 32t - 11-40t 9-speed drivetrain?

mtbr member
    I reckon any long-cage dérailleur would work and probably most medium-cage ones as well.

A long-cage dérailleur can deal with a triple up front and an 11-24 cassette no problem. You've got a 6T bigger gear at the back but no variation at the front at all. The tooth difference at the front could be 20T so you've got loads of capacity.

mtbr member
    Thanks. It looks like a lot of people have used Wolftooth Roadlinks with MTB derailleurs when going 1x9. It probably depends on the derailleur hanger of the particular model of bike, but the roadlink/9-speed MTB derailler combo looks promising.

mtbr member
    I think any long-cage will have the range you need. The only other question is clearing the biggest cog, which is where these hanger extender things come in? I assume you'll need one but I'd fit the dérailleur to the bike and try it first. You never know.

I have a road bike that came with a 12-28 cassette and medium cage dérailleur. The max quoted cog size for the dérailleur was 32 I think, it was a while ago, but I put an 11-36 cassette on and it worked. I'm sure it would work better with the long cage version of the dérailleur but it does work with a cassette that is bigger than it's supposed to take.

mtbr member

Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?

Just did this on my wifes Ariel but 8 speed. Put on a bash i had with a 30t ring i had in the parts bin.

All i did was grind the shark fin part of the hanger till it fit the roadlink properly as it was a bit tall. Works well other than some big ratio jumps even she noticed but its fine for her.

Im sure the narrow wides up to the task of keeping the chain on but the bash will make sure and keep grease off her pants and i used the reflector bracket as an inside chain keeper too.

If you can put down the torque... you might fold the cogs over. Its a $35 cassette for a reason.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

Just did this on my wifes Ariel but 8 speed. Put on a bash i had with a 30t ring i had in the parts bin.

All i did was grind the shark fin part of the hanger till it fit the roadlink properly as it was a bit tall. Works well other than some big ratio jumps even she noticed but its fine for her.

Im sure the narrow wides up to the task of keeping the chain on but the bash will make sure and keep grease off her pants and i used the reflector bracket as an inside chain keeper too.

If you can put down the torque... you might fold the cogs over. Its a $35 cassette for a reason.
    Looks good.

The cassettes are kinda cheap, but will be using them for paved riding mostly and I have been riding $26.00 12-36 tooth cassettes (they're the only ones I can find that have that range) that I haven't harmed too badly on my current 30t granny ring.

I am thinking 32t up front with the 9-speed 11-40 out the back on my Specialized AWOL, which I ride loaded on pavement and double track/fire road type trails. I have a roadlink in the mail and am still debating derailleurs.

bike tester
    10 speed shimano SLX shadow+ will clear the 40t without any modifications, roadlinks, goatlinks and such. you can pair it with any 9 speed SRAM trigger/grip shifter. this way you can have a clutch on 9 speed cassette as well.

mtbr member
    I was wondering about using a Shimano 10 speed RD like an SLX M7000. Is there a reason why you should pair it with a SRAM shifter instead of a Shimano shifter? Sorry, I'm kinda new to the whole 1x thing...

bike tester
    shimano 10 speed has very different cable pull ratio from shimano 9 speed, but sram 9 speed is close enough that it should work.

mtbr member
    I actually knew that. I feel kinda dumb right now...

Thanks for your patience, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Try oldies, but goldies Sram X5, see this https://www.mtbiker.sk/forum/post1357516.html#p1357516

11t
    Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?-dsc08764.jpg

40t
    Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?-dsc08763.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    10 speed shimano SLX shadow+ will clear the 40t without any modifications, roadlinks, goatlinks and such. you can pair it with any 9 speed SRAM trigger/grip shifter. this way you can have a clutch on 9 speed cassette as well.
    Can it work with a Sunrace 11-40t 8-speed cassette? Or will the 9 or 10-speed chain be too thin to work correctly for the wider spacers in the 8-speed cassette? In other words is it possible to go 1x8 with the Sunrace cassette or is it just not worth trying because of chain incompatibility with the front 1x chainring and chain?

I think I figured it out ... Shimano m361 crankset 28 38 48, removable chainrings (remove 38 and 48 leaving 28). Then you have 1x8 with no compatibilty issues. Still inferior to 1x 10, 11, 12 but I don't care with this level of hardtail. I'm sure they have something similar for 9 speeds as posted by others above.
    Last edited by richj8990; 04-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    OK after reading different opinions from buyers, sellers, etc., I decided to go to the source: the Shimano website. Interestingly they didn't have any information on Deore/XT 9-speed rear derailleurs; those were all 10- or 11-speed and anything selling online off the Shimano site saying 9-speed must be holdover stuff. In other words Shimano archived the older Deore 9-speed stuff, which I find curious because they still are advertising 5/6/7 speed Tourney rear derailleurs!!!

Knowing this above (as in excluding Deore/XT for 9-speed), there are supposedly three different Shimano 9-speed rear derailleurs that in theory can handle either an 8- or 9-speed 11-40t cassette without a wolftooth/extender. All of these below have a max 36t low gear rating, but again, if you are in the first or only chainring it should be doable up to 40t.

Just as a point of reference, my current Shimano Altus 8-speed long-cage RD, max cog of 34 can ALMOST but not quite hold the 40t granny gear of the Sunrace cassette. It can but I can see it's really straining. So adding a couple of max t's with a 9-speed RD below may make all the difference.

I will purchase the Alivio (they are all around the same cheap price) and let you know how it goes. Now that I'm climbing a lot lately just for the sake of it, a 22/40 granny ratio does not seem so insane like it did in the past. I'm 22/34 granny right now (cannot use the first 40t gear due to this issue we are discussing), and thought I would be fine w/it, but there are times when I'm doing a long somewhat steep climb and just want to rest a bit w/o getting off the bike. Pace myself. 22/40 can do that. Take a break from the torque of 22/34 for a bit. Yes it sounds crazy, but on a longer climb even that 22/34 ratio can become a grind.

Shimano Alivio RD-M4000 Shadow 9-speed $35 Amazon

Shimano Acera RD-M3000 Shadow 9-Speed $34 Amazon

Shimano Altus RD-M2000 Shadow 9-speed $27 Amazon
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Below is a link to a Devore Shadow 9-speed (RD-M92) as another potential option. I like them better thanAilvio, Deere is all metal. I ran them for years, but never anything larger than a 36t granny. I don’t recall the b-screw being far in on the 36t, but am not sure.
    https://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_...SABEgLll_D_BwE

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    From what I see, Shimano's 11S mountain derailleurs have the same movement ratio as SRAM's 7, 8, and 9S derailleurs. 10S Shimano is close, but 11S is closer. Try the M7000 SLX model if you want a clutch.

Or just swap for an 11S cassette and run 11S. Plenty of options there too for the same price. I've listed every cassette and Shimano derailleur in the last 20 years below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...D1DRbfS59EDrE/

mtbr member
    I am going to go with a Sora derailleur in a makeshift 9 speed drivetrain. New Sunrace CSM 990 cassette, Sora rear derailleur, Deore 26-36 double (made from a 9-speed 26-36-48 trekking drivetrain), Alivio front derailleur and used XT 9-speed shifters.

mtbr member
    So I went ahead with the Sora R3000 rear derailleur, shifted by an Alivio flat bar shifter. I was going to go 2x9, but it turns out that with the short chainstays of the Brand-X HT-01 and a Wolftooth Roadlink, I could make a 3x9 26-36-48 crankset play nicely together with an 11-40 9 speed Sunrace cassette.

The triple crankset is somewhat unfashionable, but I'm a fairly unfashionable (agressively uncool) middle aged dad these days, so I'm not really all that concerned. At all. I love my new drivetrain.

Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?-fauxtroll2.jpg

Best derailleur for Sunrace 11-40 9-speed cassette?-fauxtroll3.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow! That is some low gearage you've got goin' on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Wow! That is some low gearage you've got goin' on there.
    My aging knees need it! Plus, I live in Korea--South Korea--and the country is basically one big mountain range, so I built this up to let me ride more in the hills. I also have a Specialized AWOL with a 30-39-50 crankset and a 12-36 cassette, and the low gears just weren't cutting it. The AWOL will be for the river path network, until I use up the current road crankset and get a 22-32-44 triple on it.

mtbr member
    26-40 is...low! In fact it's so low it's hard to see the point as you'd move forward quicker if you got off and walked! ;0)

mtbr member
    Bad knees is the reason. My knees have to be treated gently and I don't want to stop riding, but my doctor advised me to go as low as possible in the gearing department. Not one to shy away from a challenge, I have done just that. But yeah, it's low alright.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 1 Week Ago at 05:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PDKL45 View Post
    Bad knees is the reason. My knees have to be treated gently and I don't want to stop riding...
    Good for you, don't give up. Keeping moving is the best thing you can do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Good for you, don't give up. Keeping moving is the best thing you can do.
    Right, and they'll be fine if looked after properly. You have to be tough to get older.

I have a couple more of those cassettes, so after the first 7,500-8,000 kms, when the first cassette is worn out, I am thinking I may try a 1x9 set up with a 30t chainring, giving me around 20-75 gear inches.

mtbr member
    You have to be tough to get older.
    Tell me about it! The saying is true, youth is wasted on the young.

mtbr member
    Bad knees is the reason. My knees have to be treated gently and I don't want to stop riding, but my doctor advised me to go as low as possible in the gearing department. Not one to shy away from a challenge, I have done just that. But yeah, it's low alright.
    Did you had a good bike fitting?
    I also had huge knee issues and I'm not even old.
    At some point it was so bad that I couldn't even walk without pain for a whole week.
    When I got my bike fitting they did know what I was talking about and fixed it for me.
    My problem was a too steep seat angle.
    When my cranks were pointing forward my knee was over the middle of the pedal axle.
    http://www.gesunde-radrouten.de/medi...lotmethode.jpg
    Your knee needs to be exactly over the pedal axle or sligthly behind it.
    I had to slide my saddle a lot backwards, but ever since than I never had knee issues again.
    The guys in this bike shop are amazing.
    They told me a lot of stuff about modern bike geometry and that almost all bike brands are not going for steep seat angles because of that.
    And I believe them.
    For me the perfect seat angle with 175mm cranks is around 72 degree.
    I know there are lots of people who want a steep seat angle.
    But for me thats just a knee destroying nightmare.
    I changed all of my other bikes to that setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    My problem was a too steep seat angle.
    I'm very sensitive to this as well. I've never had a fitting but I can feel it as soon as I sit on a bike, it just feels wrong. Usually a lay-back seat-post is all it takes to sort it but I had a hard-tail once I couldn't fix. Hated that bike and didn't keep it long.

Very good advice to look at bike fit. It makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The new "shadow" technology nine speed derailleurs seem to work better on larger cogs than the old-style derailleurs. The specs say they're made for 36t but I know for certain they work well up to 40t. I suspect they would also work for 42t with the angle-adjuster B-tension screw all the way in. Also the cable routing on these "shadow" derailleurs is an enormous improvement over the old 180 degree rear loop especially if your cable goes down the driveside chainstay. Now the cable goes in straight from the front. With one of those ebay chinese hanger extension links I think the nine-speed "shadow" derailleurs will probably work up to 44t if there is such a cassette.

Shimano Alivio M4000 Series and Acera M3000 Series
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/compo...erailleur.html

Note the Alivio M4000 and Acera M2000 have plastic bodies and are lightweight. I guess the idea here since these new derailleurs don't stick out as far they aren't as prone to breakage. I believe the Acera M3000 is forged alloy and heavier.

mtbr member
    I have a 9sp 11-36 cassette with a long cage Shimano Deore RD-M592-SGS Shadow derailleur.
    Not sure if that is a new or old shadow derailleur.
    It can take the 36T well, but this shadow derailleur really sucks.
    I never had a shittier shimano derailleur than that piece of crap.
    Even the cheaper non shadow ones are better than this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    Did you had a good bike fitting?
    Good point. I did, and I need a layback seatpost on the bike above, but my knee issues stem from other known causes, not least my weight.

I run a Deore M592 on a 12-36 9 speed cassette with a 30-39-50 road triple and I really like it, it's been good to me.