I Have Gnarly Potential

Best Crankset for a decent price?

Heya guys, im lookin for a new crank/BB combo and i have roughly $180-200(around) to spend, what do you guys reccoment in that range? (lookin for a standard 175mm length crosscountry crank/rings set)

bang
    you can't go wrong with shimano xt. jensonusa has them for $196. might find them even cheaper if you look a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have been researching this specifically for the past few days. See my latest post here (not the first post): Crank Set Upgrade and New Cassette

The first four are in your price range and the last three are less expensive alternatives.

~ Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shimano LX will serve you just fine. Had mine since '00. No problems.

mtbr member
    I aslo recommend the LX, the other thread mentioned in the post above linked to the LX crankset for $110. Keep in mind after the chainrings wear out you can use the XT aluminum chainrings and bolts (I think the bolts chainrings are aluminum for XT, steel for LX?) and get the LX crankset nearly down to the XT weight.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT or LX, IMO I prefer XT over XTR lighter doesn't mean better IMO, XT cranksets are very durable, rigid, and lightweight (860g's), I am 6'2" and have not had a problem with anyone of my XT crankset yet. LX cranksets similar to the XT a liitle heavier but also an excellent product. You might be able to find a good deal on Ebay, i just bought a XT back-up crankset for $100.00 including shipping.......... SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND, ONE WHO IS QUICK TO SPEND IS FINANCIALLY BLIND...........(old broke ass biker proverb)

it's....
    Not sure about the bolt, but LX has steel small ring, XT has all AL rings.
    The AL rings are weak, though.