Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    meow

Best chain lube for wet conditions?

This weekend's 24 hour race is going to be wet and muddy, so I'm looking for suggestions on the best chain lube that can stand up to it all. Thanks!

g3h6o3
    Finish line wet is my #1 choice. For a 24H race I'd bring the bottle with me and reapply often
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Former Bike Wrench
    Bar and Chain Oil...for real!

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I like chain-l
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Rub it............
    Chain-L, Finish Line Wet work well.

Or as 72 suggested, chain saw bar and chain oil.

mtbr member

purple extreme

With chain lube everyone has there own opinion of whats good and works. You need to find the lube that works for you.

some say (even in the mud)

squirt lube

pro review here

a recent thread on Squirt in the Ibis sub forum here
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 02-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another vote for Finish Line wet. That is, unless you can find Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. I won't use it unless it's raining, but it's super thick & sticky, and holds up well on those rain rides with multiple stream crossings.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    I like chain-l
    I thought of proposing chain-l but having never tried it I restrained myself. It looks very thick and that's what you'll want, which is why chainsaw oil will be good too.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Finish Line wet. I've had the chain completely covered in mud for over 30 miles and it feels like its clean.

There may be other that work as well or better, but after a winter season I was convinced enough to buy a gallon jar of it. That takes some commitment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC to whining spammer
    Don't let the nose of your saddle hit you in the @#!#X on the way out.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Bar and Chain Oil...for real!
    He's absolutely right. Loggers operate in far worse conditions than we ride; mud, sawdust, water, etc....and, it works even better the faster the chain goes.

Home Depot sell a quart(or, 3 years' worth) for only $3.99!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Pro Link for all conditions!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Plays with tools
    in all honesty grease, there is your pro peloton secret of the day. Apply a nice layer of your favorite lube then put a layer of grease over the top of it to seal it in. It should get you through the entire race.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    in all honesty grease, there is your pro peloton secret of the day. Apply a nice layer of your favorite lube then put a layer of grease over the top of it to seal it in. It should get you through the entire race.
    ... and attract a load of dirt so you can be sure to replace your parts earlier than expected.

Grease is a magnet for all particulate matter and a bad suggestion...straight-up. Bar and chainsaw oil has the perfect viscosity to keep chain links lubricated, under most riding conditions and withstand several dusty, dirty races.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    ... and attract a load of dirt so you can be sure to replace your parts earlier than expected.
    I've got another secret for you, racing is hard on stuff and sometimes you sacrifice consumable items in the name of speed. If you use the right grease and the right amount it won't attract any more dirt than the bar oil or heavy lubes that others have suggested. When it's on there right you shouldn't be able to tell it's covered in grease.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Grease trick works great on Pro's bikes that get scrubbed clean every race and generally have entire drivetrain replacements often.

IME-Prolink is a joke for wet and muddy, never in my 19 years of riding have I experienced the level of chain suck as I did on Prolink. Fine for dry riding (certainly better than wax) but a terrible foul weather lube.

Since I started using Bar and Chain Oil I have not experienced chain suck at all and my chain wear has been significantly reduced. I have tested it in both the nastiest conditions and in the dry and dusty desert and it works as good as ANY bicycle lube on the market. The trick is proper application and in the really muddy days to ride through puddles to wash the mud off (don't worry, the oil stays on the chain).

Here is a picture from a particularly muddy ride last winter, all I did is wipe down the chain after the ride and was good for several more rides.

^^He is not lying guys. Since mtnbiker72 suggested bar and chain oil...I have been chainsuck free, while every commercial bike lube wet and dry, have FAILED miserably. Home Depot and Lowe's is your friend...when it comes to chain lube. If loggers use it...so can we!!!^^
    Last edited by Zachariah; 02-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.

RIDE...
    Chaim L the best!!

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    I've got another secret for you, racing is hard on stuff and sometimes you sacrifice consumable items in the name of speed. If you use the right grease and the right amount it won't attract any more dirt than the bar oil or heavy lubes that others have suggested. When it's on there right you shouldn't be able to tell it's covered in grease.
    There are no reasons for a race to be harder on parts than any other ride at the same intensity level, on the same track, in the same conditions. It's not like there's a magic switch for wear on parts during training.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rock n Roll Extreme. Works in all conditions for me and lasts a good long while.

mtbr member
    Chain L works great for me, I would definitely recommend it. The bottle lasts super long too.

meow
    Update...I used Chain-l and it worked great...it stayed on in wet conditions and I'll definitely use it again. Thanks for all the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Chain-L. I have to agree! :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    soak the chain in a 50-50 mix of melted paraffin (canning section of grocery) and motor oil. i do mine in a $15 slow cooker from the mart. leave the chain in for 15 minutes or so to let the mixture fully soak in.

once it cools it's a "dry" lube and basically doesn't attract dust.
    whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    soak the chain in a 50-50 mix of melted paraffin (canning section of grocery) and motor oil. i do mine in a $15 slow cooker from the mart. leave the chain in for 15 minutes or so to let the mixture fully soak in.

once it cools it's a "dry" lube and basically doesn't attract dust.
    Yeah, but one splash through a water crossing, and the wax completely flakes itself off within 20 crank rotations. Trudge through some mud and you set yourself up for major chainsuck....all over again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast