Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best chain lube?

What type of chain lube do you all recommend? I've been told that Yelo Velo (X-tra Dry lube and Milky White) makes the best one and I've also been recommended MUC OFF USA (Wet/Dry chain lube). Has anyone used these on their chains? How often should you lube the chain and anywhere else? Ever other ride?

Thanks...

@trailgrinder
    Your chain will tell you when it needs to be lubed, the are a ton of lubes out there. In my experience it depends on the conditions that you ride in on how long between lubes. If i am riding in dry dusty conditions and my chain starts squeeking I know I have went to long. I generally lube up every couple of rides if it is dry or else after every wash. I use some of the white lightning products And purple extreme
    Last edited by Live2rideUtah; 05-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    This has nothing to do with the "29er components" forum.....why post it here?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    I like Rock n Roll Gold.

I do my chain often (probably every other ride).

Use as directed ... liberally ... and wipe down. Every once in a while I twist up the paper towel and go between the links.

Clean drivetrain = long life.

SPP
    Rigid.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    cuz 26" lube is incompatible

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    cuz 26" lube is incompatible
    I find both White Lightning and Remington teflon gun oil are compatible even with 650b
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use Rock n Roll Extreme

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Synthetic motor oil. You chose the weight to suit your riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    What type of chain lube do you all recommend? I've been told that Yelo Velo (X-tra Dry lube and Milky White) makes the best one and I've also been recommended MUC OFF USA (Wet/Dry chain lube). Has anyone used these on their chains? How often should you lube the chain and anywhere else? Ever other ride?

Thanks...
    There is no one best lube....just lubes that work well in your conditions...

Triflow Teflon works in the summer and dry for me.....Pedro Ice wax surprisingly works well in winter...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    This.

Ask at your LBS to see what they recommend for your conditions. Local knowledge counts for a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Sorry made a mistake putting it here. Thank you for moving it...

Former Bike Wrench
    The search function should bring up at least a dozen threads with the same subject since it gets regurgitated on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use "K-Y Yours + Mine Couples Lubricant". I apply the blue bottle (his) to the chainring and the purple bottle (hers) on the chain. The lubrication will heighten during peak physical strain.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by poowilliams View Post
    I use "K-Y Yours + Mine Couples Lubricant". I apply the blue bottle (his) to the chainring and the purple bottle (hers) on the chain. The lubrication will heighten during peak physical strain.
    I stepped out of line at the drug store to pick some up. It gets warm when they mix.

The perfect winter lube to keep the chain and jockey wheels from freezing.

mtbr member
    Bacon Fat for me.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Synthetic motor oil. You chose the weight to suit your riding.
    I use 10W40. Easy starting in cold weather, and appropriate for high speeds on hot days, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I use 10W40. Easy starting in cold weather, and appropriate for high speeds on hot days, too.
    Make fun if you must, but it's the best bang for your buck and it works. Just buy a bottle of Brand "X" bicycle chain lube, and when it's empty refill with syn. motor oil. One quart lasts a long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Agreed.

I currently use Phil's Tenacious Oil for road and paved trails. I used White Lightening for a couple of months in dirt trails, which was great, but I wasn't happy having to reapply it so frequently.

I, like many others, wish I could have the lube that comes on the chain. Not as sticky as oil and lasts quite a bit longer.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Make fun if you must, but it's the best bang for your buck and it works. Just buy a bottle of Brand "X" bicycle chain lube, and when it's empty refill with syn. motor oil. One quart lasts a long time.
    no, i really do use it. sometimes straight, sometimes thinned out a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    no, i really do use it. sometimes straight, sometimes thinned out a bit.
    Nice. My bad.

Zero Miles from Myself
    ProGold ProLink.

OP ... perhaps using the reviews pages would help you decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    ProGold ProLink.

OP ... perhaps using the reviews pages would help you decide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I avoid these threads because I have an obvious bias.

But there's no one chain lube that will work best for everyone. That's because even though chains are basically all the same, outside conditions vary tremendously by area, season, and they type of riding you do. A lube formulated to work best in the clay of the east, may attract too much dust in the dry areas out west.

There's also the issue of what properties the owner values most, whether he prefers a great looking chain, or to spend less time working on his bike.

My suggestion is to go the chain lube section of product reviews on this forum, choose the top few rated lubes with a decent number of reviews, than read the reviews focusing on those from reviewers describing riding conditions similar to yours. That should help you narrow down the many choices to a short list of two or three, then try one, and if not pleased try another.

Most experienced riders have tried a number of lubes before settling on a long term favorite, others have more than one favorite depending on the bike or season.

So don't expect to pick a winner your first time out, but decide what properties you value and work your way to one that best meets your needs.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I avoid these threads because I have an obvious bias.

But there's no one chain lube that will work best for everyone. That's because even though chains are basically all the same, outside conditions vary tremendously by area, season, and they type of riding you do. A lube formulated to work best in the clay of the east, may attract too much dust in the dry areas out west.

There's also the issue of what properties the owner values most, whether he prefers a great looking chain, or to spend less time working on his bike.

My suggestion is to go the chain lube section of product reviews on this forum, choose the top few rated lubes with a decent number of reviews, than read the reviews focusing on those from reviewers describing riding conditions similar to yours. That should help you narrow down the many choices to a short list of two or three, then try one, and if not pleased try another.

Most experienced riders have tried a number of lubes before settling on a long term favorite, others have more than one favorite depending on the bike or season.

So don't expect to pick a winner your first time out, but decide what properties you value and work your way to one that best meets your needs.
    He said what I said ... only with bigger words !! Great idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    There's also the issue of what properties the owner values most, whether he prefers a great looking chain, or to spend less time working on his bike
    Frank makes a great point here. I use the lube that I do because it is forgiving and lasts a long time and I can just grab the bike and ride without having to worry too often about whether I've lubed it recently. The lube does ok on the looks front too, for me, but it's the longevity that drives the decision for me.

Back when I was still using various Teflon-based dry lubes, I always made a point to use plain old oil wet lubes on neighbor bikes whenever I worked on them. That was the right choice for my friends who never actually lube their chains themselves. I'd give them the best start that I could by giving them the longest-lasting lube that I could.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast