mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Best Beginner Pedals

Hey guys,
    I'm a beginner and I'm looking for some advice on pedals. Right now im specifically looking at the Speedplay Frogs and the Time Z and ATAC pedals. I've used the frogs a few times and i like their free motion, but i noticed that it's hard to pull out of them when the get clogged with mud. I fell several times because the frogs had gotten jammed with mud. I've heard good things about Time pedals and I was really attracted to the Time Z because its got a platform so that I can clip out and just use the platform if i get into difficult terrain. So what I'm looking for right now is a pedal that is easy to get out of, even when there's lots of mud around it, and preferably a hybrid pedal with a platform to be used in difficult situations. Any thoughts on those pedals or any others you would recommend?

willtsmith_nwi

Mallet-C

Try a Mallet-C. They're easy to get in and out of. There is a platform there if you miss your clip. Really, all you have to do is wiggle your foot and you'll end up clipping in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the crank bros eggbeaters. They are extremely easy in and out. I think the mallet version would be perfect for a beginner clip in.

mtbr member
    I've never used CB pedals, but I'm using the time Z's and they work really well. They have a platform for ease of use, aren't that hard to get out of and are unaffected by mud/crappy conditions.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I like the Shimano series pedals because of the adjustable release mechanism.

local trails rider
    I have Time ATAC XS and they are working well. The platform of the Z could me nice, for example, when restarting up a bumpy climb.

forest lurker
    Jun 2006
    Not to put too fine a point on it, and this isn't true for 100% of riders, just a large number of them, but: buy Time ATACs, any decent version, and your first pedals will be the ones you still love many years later.