mtbr member

Best 1x9 set up? (28t,30t,32t?)

Hey, I have an ibis mojo hd that I'm thinkin I want to make into 1x9 with either a widgit or bbg bashwich. Was wondering what the best ratio is for all around riding. I currently have a sram pg990 11/34 rear cassette an xo 9spd rear der. I have a 2x9 set up right now with just the plain old 22/32 front rings. I do use my granny ring quite often, so I know I don't wanna just go with a 32t as I will be having to walk alot of the steep hills I climb on a regular basis so would a 28t be the best of both worlds? or 30t? Not much experience with this as I have always run traditional 3x9 set ups. I do alot of all mountain riding, ups, downs an some xc riding as well. probably 60/40.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    On my 1x8 I'll change the front ring depending on where I'm riding. Generally I like a 26 but will run a 28 or 30 if it's not as steep a spot.

Butts Up Fast!
    If you climb alot then why change from a 2x9? But if you really want to 1x9 id start with the 28t if you climb more than decend. I run a 32t on my 1x9 that works great for my local terrain which is equal ups and downs.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm looking to simplify things get rid of the front derailluer an also shed some weight. I run the 22/32 now. I do use the granny sometimes mostly when I'm tired or sick. Just wondering if a 28 would be the way to go. I live in new England so for the most part there isn't a lot of long downhills. Mostly switch back climbs an short downhills
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

meatier showers
    I've got a 1x10 setup on my 29er. 30t ring, 11-36t cassette. Real mountains around here plus I do endurance riding & racing (40-100 miles). If I had it to do over again, I'd go 28t on the ring. Even with an 11t cog, you can spin out on the flats if you try but it doesn't happen often or for long. Around here, that is. YMMV.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Ya, I think if I'm gonna run with 1x9 28 is gonna be the way to go, maybe even a 26 for early season an move up to a 28 or 30 once I'm in shape. Where can you buy different rings? I know you can buy "the widgit" but it's mad expensive, an I don't like the way you can't take it apart an change rings etc... was thinkin of goin with the bbg bashwich set up. But, I don't know where to buy just the sprocket. I am running an xt m770 hollowtech II crankset.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    been doing alot of research on a 1x9 set up. There really aren't alot of options, but I did find a chart showing the differences between a 1x9 an a traditional 22/32/44 both with an 11/34 cassette, showing the gear ratios of each. With a 1x9 an 11/34 cassette you will only lose the 2 easiest gears on the 22, an the hardest gear on the 32, an the hardest 2 or 3 on the 44 ring. Does anyone know of a chart showing the gear ratios of a 28t front? That would be helpful with my decision
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Rub it............
    Input your selection into this. You can use the database that is provided, or use your own.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

mtbr member
    Thanks for that chart. Worked pretty good. If anyone is interested here is what I found...... With a 28t front sprocket an 11/34 rear vs a standard 22/32/44 with same cassette, you only lose the easiest 2 gears on the granny ring, the hardest gear on the middle ring, an the top 3 hardest gears on the 44. For me, it's a no brainer. I've been running 2x9 for a while, an have found nowhere that I've missed the 44 ring. So, from switching from a standard 2x9 to a 1x9 I'll only be losing 3 gears, the 2 easiest, an the 1 hardest, I can live with that, an it had alot of benefits. Probably gonna go with the Widgit as it's pretty much the only option to get down to a 28t front.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hey,

I'm running 28t and 30t single ring setups here in the east. Works really well out here, with awesome rock and root crawling clearance. 11-36 10spd. cassette.

You can do it without the Widget, but it introduces complications and the need to do some Dremel tool mods to some parts to get working right. You have to space the crank/ring out on the drive side, while still leaving enough spindle for the non-drive arm to grab securely. My setup has the chainline dead smack in the middle of the cassette.

28t Blackspire granny ring, Blackspire Granny God ring, ISCG mount Blackspire Stinger, a BB mount Stinger, and the upper slider bit from a Straitline Silent guide.

This is where some Dremel work is needed, since the two guide bits sit in the same plane. Or use a replacement/spare backplate from some other guide, though these are nice as sort of "blank canvas" bits to add holes where needed. The upper bolts are threaded into drilled and tapped holes on the guide plate.

Everything can be moved easily enough without removing the crank, and there is enough adjustment that I can get 26-30t granny mount rings to fit just fine. Anything larger than those and it's on the middle ring spot, and regular aftermarket guide bits will work.

It's very secure, and very quiet. Cheap, easily available parts. YMMV.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We're using a 29t-94bcd front with an 11-34 xtr cassette and a sram x9 short cage rear on my daughter's Turner Burner. At 25 lbs. ready to ride she says she doesn't miss having any more gearing. Figured out the ratios from the chart in the back of Zinn's book after seriously considering what she used during any race or trail ride along with some advice from a SS racer- "If you can run it faster than pedal, you run!" 1x9 took an honest pound off the bike.

I've got a 29t front with a 12-36 rear on mine 'cause I run slower.

Scott

Mr. Lurker
    I'm using a Homebrewed Components 31T chainring & Shimano Bashguard on my 1x10; 11-36 cassette. This gear ratio works well for me, here in SoCal; always encountering long uphills. I find it better than the 22T granny gear I used to have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    is ther 29 t front sprocket

mtbr member
    May 2011
    32 works great for me ! With a 32-11