mtbr member

Bent hanger symptoms?

Greets,

What are the possible symptoms of a bent rear D hanger (XTR)?

I installed a new SRAM 9 speed chain a couple of weeks ago and ever since it pops intermittently on the rear cassette (when not shifting, just peddling). I don't have a tight link - checked that already. I was thinking that the old chain had more sideways slack and didn't cause the pop.

Was wondering if I might be suffering from a bent hanger and the chain hangs only occasionally.

Thoughts?

pronounced may-duh
    Use your eyes. Look at the hanger. If it's not straight then it bent. A bent hanger would cause it to miss shift and posibly shift to far and fall of the cog set.

Why did you replace the chain? How old is your cassette and chainrings? They may be worn out and need replacing. Or your rear derailer needs adjustment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Use your eyes. Look at the hanger. If it's not straight then it bent. A bent hanger would cause it to miss shift and posibly shift to far and fall of the cog set.

Why did you replace the chain? How old is your cassette and chainrings? They may be worn out and need replacing. Or your rear derailer needs adjustment
    Thanks Maida,

The bike (Specialized Expert 120 Disk) is less than 2 months old. I've replaced the front crank already (XT). I ride often and I ride fairly hard but it's not particularly dirty or muddy - I have about 800 - 900 trail miles on the bike and the original chain just broke one day - knarly. I clean and lube the chain at least weekly. I had to have the LBS straighten out the hanger a while before I changed chains - I clobbered the rear D on a rock. They ordered me a new hanger but I haven't heard from them about it yet. So, I was wondering if it could be a bent hanger that's causing the prob. It only started after I replaced the original chain with a SRAM.

X

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004
    What cassette gears is it skipping in?
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    What cassette gears is it skipping in?
    Chainring doesn't seem to matter but on rear cassette seems worse in lower gears (i.e. 4th thru 9th).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

X

Space for rent...
    A couple of other things you may want to consider:-

1 - Bent deraileaur. I once beat my head for weeks trying to solve a ghosting problem. Went through 3 hangers before I found that I had actually bent the deraileaur itself. It was an XTR.....ouch!

2 - Bent cassette ring. Just found my four-month-old XT cassette, has a bent ring. It was the second lowest ring (no idea how I bent it) and drove me nuts, trying to figure out what was going on.
    It's only pain......

the catalan connection

One way besides the eye inspection....

If you can get a good shiftin allover the rear cogs but then you can´t when you repeat the process with another front chainring on, is prbably a symptom of bent hanger becouse shifting to another chainring makes the rear derailleur rotate around the B-pivot (to reacomodate for the diferent chain slack), and if that´s not straight(due to a bent hanger) it will throw the derailleur´s upper pulley out of alignement relative to the cogs as it rotates back and forth. This method is likely to reveal hangers bent in diferent angles than the ones you can see by just inspecting by eye from behind. You can look for it with the bike upside down too, but being the shortest view of the hanger, it might be dificult to see.
    Last edited by What&son; 10-17-2005 at 06:36 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot