Thread: bent chain ring

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

bent chain ring

Today I had a bad ride. Running into trees and such is usual but the fall that caused my chain ring to bend was the last straw.

Anyways, my outer chain ring is bent in (i had to try to bend it back so that i could ride on the second ring) and I was wondering:

can this be fixed or is it a time for a new one?

is it worth getting a new one or should I go with the smaller two rings?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melbourneloner
    Today I had a bad ride. Running into trees and such is usual but the fall that caused my chain ring to bend was the last straw.

Anyways, my outer chain ring is bent in (i had to try to bend it back so that i could ride on the second ring) and I was wondering:

Thanks
    if you don't use your big ring much, then hasta la vista baby, replace it w/ a bashring and not worry about bent rings after that.
    If you want the gearing range, then you'll likely need a new ring, as it now has weak spot(s) and will bend again if hit.
    aluminum doesn't take kindly to bending & rebending, so fixing is temp at best (if possible).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by melbourneloner

Thanks
    New one. If you don't use the big ring much, I suggest replacing it with a bashguard. It'll protect the other rings, give you some more ground clearance, and let you slide over obstacles.