Thread: bent chain link

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

bent chain link

if i have a bent chain link on my chain that came stock with my setup...would it be ok to sipmly remove the link and ride it a little shorter?

thanks.
    bill

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    maybe, maybe not. shift into big/big and see if the derailleur cage can move any more toward the crank. one link will make a significant difference. if it's a sram chain and the outer plates are bent you could put another master link in.
    or you can just take it out and promise never to use big and big while riding, but even the most concious riders will accidently do that once in awhile.
    sram chains have to be reassembled with master link, shimano chains have to be reassembled with new pin.

Quote Originally Posted by billbad
    if i have a bent chain link on my chain that came stock with my setup...would it be ok to sipmly remove the link and ride it a little shorter?

thanks.
    bill

MTB B'dos
    You should be fine since most bikes you buy come with too long of a chain anyways. Just make sure and test that you can get the bike into at least the big ring/ 3 combo and have the rear derailer pointing straight down or just slightly forward of straight down.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yea...its a shimano chain...ill take it out and see what happens.

thanks again

bill