mtbr member

Bent cassette teeth.

I was wondering if anyone else had bent cassette teeth? I noticed on my 46t sunrace cog that three teeth about 4 teeth apart from each other were bent outward enough to run on the outside of the chainlinks causing chain skipping issues. I bent them back with pliers and so far so good for the rest of my ride. What could have caused them to bend? Mashing too hard during shifting maybe? Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Is that cassette the old one which has no logo at the back of 46t which has thinner 46t cog? I've read some bending issues here with that. New version of the cassette has thicker 46t cog and some white logos behind it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hece View Post
    Is that cassette the old one which has no logo at the back of 46t which has thinner 46t cog? I've read some bending issues here with that. New version of the cassette has thicker 46t cog and some white logos behind it.
    No it's the one with the white 46t logo. It's working fine after bending the teeth back but for how long? My sunrace 11-42 also had problems with the 42t ring bending outward. I don't consider myself that hard of a masher but probably next time I go with a bike with sram gx 12 speed drivetrain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Dang, let's see how my new SR 11-46t holds up. I'm a heavy guy and I've broke some freewheels/chains.

mtbr member
    Aluminium cog. Teeth will bend, no way around it as you have 2mm thick plate of a malleable metal that has to withstand drive forces at na angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Aluminium cog. Teeth will bend, no way around it as you have 2mm thick plate of a malleable metal that has to withstand drive forces at na angle.
    If that is considered normal I only see it getting worse with 12 speed cassettes. Pliers stay in my hydration pack permanently I guess.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Post up your drivetrain setup. I'm assuming you did a 1x conversion on your Trance?? If so, did you used the factory cranks? If so, make sure your chainline is kosher on the large cogs.
    I'd definitely err on having the line better at the big cogs than the little cogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    Post up your drivetrain setup. I'm assuming you did a 1x conversion on your Trance?? If so, did you used the factory cranks? If so, make sure your chainline is kosher on the large cogs.
    I'd definitely err on having the line better at the big cogs than the little cogs.
    Factory cranks, 30t oneup oval chainring, 11-46t SR cas., KMC chain, Shimano XT M8000 shifter and long cage derailleur. Chainline looks okay to me and a couple guys at a bike shop. Rode again today with no problem. Maybe I picked some big debris up that bent teeth (branch?) not knowing because my tunes were loud?
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips