mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bent bottom bracket?

All right, here's the scene: Im bored at school and figured i would go mess around campus on my bike.

I hop down a few sets of stairs, smile, and hop around some more. At some point during this i think i bent my BB. The bike pedals smoothly about 2/3's of a crank, then that last 1/3 has some resistance, and makes a terrifying creak. Also, my crank arms look like they are spinning off axis, the arms themselves look fine, whatever they connect to, (i think its the BB spindle thing???) is wobbly.

So, in conclusion, i would be right to assume a new BB is in order? If that is the case, then i will return with some more questions... thanks fellas

The crankarms only look off? They don't feel odd? What crank and bb are you running?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    oh, no they feel very odd. I might have worded my story oddly.

They have added resistance when im just pedaling around. Somethings outta wack.

The cranks are truvativ hussefelt somethings, and the BB is an FSA of some kind. Its the stock stuff off an 04 specialized P2

Edit: i just checked bikepedia, and it says the bike came with a TruVativ ISIS Drive Hussefelt. But i do think i remember seeing FSA down there when i had the cranks off the other day when i converted to SS. So the previous owner might have installed something else.

I was more interested in the general type of bb, but a cartridge type bb like you've got could be tweaked. Replace it and find out if it's the bb or cranks themselves...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    question: for my purposes, should i stick with the ISIS drive style BB? I know a lot of urban riders would swear by the square tapered or BMX style, whatever it is. That would allow me to run a more jump/urban crank....?

or is ISIS fine and i should just keep things simple by replacing the BB, and seeing if that fixes things?

Quote Originally Posted by XJimmyTheSaintX
    question: for my purposes, should i stick with the ISIS drive style BB? I know a lot of urban riders would swear by the square tapered or BMX style, whatever it is. That would allow me to run a more jump/urban crank....?

or is ISIS fine and i should just keep things simple by replacing the BB, and seeing if that fixes things?
    Your crank determines the type of bottom bracket; ISIS is not compatible with a square taper or Octalink. Actually IIRC the Truvativ isn't a true ISIS but is similar in spline design but requires it's own proprietary bottom bracket, but am not all that up on my Truvativ stuff; perhaps someone will pipe up that is familiar with it...
    suum quique

Just a flesh wound

Isis

I switched from the Truvativ BB to the SKF BB. 2 years of riding without a creak. Sounds like your BB is shot. Easy to replace. If you like your cranks then just get a new BB.

Lots of choices for an ISIS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So, a new one BB will be ordered shortly. Is there a lot of variation in the quality and performance between brands? on price point they go from $20 to nearly $200.

I would like to not break my poor college bank, however i want to spend enough on something so i wont need to replace anytime soon.

what are some brands/models you guys would recommend for someone who is a bit hard on their bike?

Just a flesh wound

Skf

I am very happy with mine. Good warranty, and they expect a long life from them. MTB Tandems carries them. $100+ for full stainless or $50 for the croMoly version. Both have same warranty and design.

mtbtandems.com