Thread: Bending Cogs

mtbr member

Bending Cogs

Last month 2nd gear was bent outward on my cassette and ripped apart my chain. I can see how this can happen, high torque in the big ring. I have replaced the drivetrain (new 10spd cassette, new chain, new rings) Now I am noticing some bent teeth on the new cassette. It is mostly in ninth gear and it is bent out. I am can not figure out how the teeth can bend out in this gear. Can the rear derailure apply enough pressure to bend a tooth or two if I am shifting under load? Or is something else going on?
    Last edited by luvdabeach2001; 01-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Last month 2nd gear was bent outward on my cassette and ripped apart my chain. I can see how this can happen, high torque in the big ring. I have replaced the drivetrain (new 11spd cassette, new chain, new rings) Now I am noticing some bent teeth on the new cassette. It is mostly in tenth gear and it is bent out. I am can not figure out how the teeth can bend out in this gear. Can the rear derailure apply enough pressure to bend a tooth or two if I am shifting under load? Or is something else going on?
    It is because of shifting under too much load--cogs and chain can be damaged.
    Ease off the pedals for a moment while shifting and it will be smoother and greatly reduce the stress on the drivetrain.

Just because you can shift under load it does not mean you should. It is not the derailleur applying the pressure, it is you stomping on the pedals and pushing on the shift lever.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    It is because of shifting under too much load--cogs and chain can be damaged.
    Ease off the pedals for a moment while shifting and it will be smoother and greatly reduce the stress on the drivetrain.

Just because you can shift under load it does not mean you should. It is not the derailleur applying the pressure, it is you stomping on the pedals and pushing on the shift lever.
    Second.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?