Get out of town!

Belt Drives - I'm bored

Do you think there will be a possibility of the belts now being used in drivetrains to have a break in them instead of the frame?

Maybe a belt that slides/presses together horizontally and locks? I can imagine a < shaped cut on one end, and a pointed end at the tip of the other belt that slides together when the belt overlaps. Or, maybe the belt snaps together somehow and is seperated with a small tool similar to what is used to remove chain pins? OR, a crimped piece of metal or something that can be placed at the break in the belt - installed and removed via a crimping tool?

These are only used on singlespeeds for the most part right? So the side with teeth needs to be "seamless." But if the top of the belt is raised a little if a piece is retro fitted to the belt that shouldn't really matter. It would be great if there was a way to have the belt come apart and reconnect without really compromising the strength of the belt itself.

I'm not smart enough to figure this out but I wish someone would so I could try a belt drive without having to buy a new frame as well!
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's been done for Harley-Daividson as an emergency only belt. Open the instruction .pdf to see how it goes together.

Get out of town!
    Interesting. Thanks for the link. So a beefier version of this with more socket screws might work? If it works with a motor why not a set of legs? I get that these questions (or more concise/well informed questions) probably have been asked already by design engineers. It just seems like it would make more sense for the belt and not the frame to split if possible.

I think a "snap" design would be good too. Slice the belt lengthwise for a section. This way the teeth don't need to be bothered. Have a series of snaps that fasten the belt togther securely but can be unsnapped if needed.

Maybe I'll make a prototype out of a leather strap and some push tacks?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."