mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Bell Links 700 9 Speed Performance Chain

Hey Guys,

The wife and I were shopping at Baby's R Us for baby stuff when we decided to go to walmart to compare prices on baby stuff and buy some address labels.

I love going to the automotive and bike depts when I'm there.
    I've been thinking about replacing the Sram PC99 chain that is on my Santa Cruz superlight.

I saw a Bell Performance 9-sp performance chain at Walmart. Usually, I do not consider anything with the Bell name on it because it's mainly re-badged made in china products, but I looked carefully at the chain and it looks well made for $15!

I tried looking for it on the internet but couldn't find much, if at all, about this chain or user experience. It seems like an OEM type chain from a big manufacturer in China. The chain itself has the Bell F90 markings. F90 seems to be a generic model # for a class of chains.

Here are some pictures. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Links 700 9 Speed Performance Chain-img_1799s.jpg  

Bell Links 700 9 Speed Performance Chain-img_1800s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Dennis,

Thank you! I really wasn't looking to buy a chain. I only had in my mind that I should change my chain some day since I've been on the same chain for over 10 years.

Thanks for the links. I'm tempted to pick up those KMC chains in addition to keeping the bell for testing purposes.

Gary

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry, it was late and I didn't realize that you had already purchased the chain -- it should have been obvious because of the pictures Anyway, I'm sure the Bell will work fine. I'm just saying that it isn't really a great bargain.

10 years, wow! Mine (10 speed) lasted less than a year, only about 1100 miles. I understand that 9-speed does last a lot longer. But get a chain measuring tool or use a ruler and periodically check your chain for wear. Hopefully your cassette and rings are still OK.

I love Wal-Mart auto dept too BTW. I use their DuPont Chainsaver chain lube (in the motorcycle section) for my bike and it seems to work well. I am at nearly 1100 miles on my new chain (top-end KMC from eBay for < $40 delivered btw) and am at %.25 wear. It's cheap so I'm not tempted to skimp when applying it