mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bearing Removal from Shimano BB

I have read the post on BB outboard servicing at the top of this forum. My question is what is the best tool to REMOVE the bearings from XTR cups? One of the members had a FSA BB press that I bought, but that only works for FSA cups.. SO who makes a tool to REMOVE the bearings from outboard bearing cups? I have seen Enduro's but looking to spend less than $100 if possible.
    Any options

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Subscribed cause I'd like to know too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

... and if we just ...

my own method was to heat the cup with a hot air gun and lightly tapped it out with a punch that ground half the face off.Install was putting the bearing in the freezer overnite and it just about dropped in.The hot air gun was $10 at harbor freight, the freezer was $1400 at Lowes, fortunately I use both these tools for other purposes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If the XTR bb is the same as the XTs, I found that the cups are different on the left and right side. On the right (drive) side, you can just use an universal headset cup remover to punch out the old bearing. Alternatively, you could use a flat-faced plastic rod that fits closely inside the back-end ID of the cup since the bearing ID is smaller than the cup ID.

On the left (non-drive) side, the bearing ID is the same or slightly larger than the cup ID so you can't just push it out from inside the cup with the plastic rod. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan on placing a snap-ring in the cup recess behind the bearing race, and then using that close-fitting plastic rod to push against the snap ring which would then push on the bearing.

g3h6o3
    The best tool is probably the Enduro tool. Link

Hope makes one that is much cheaper. It doesn't use an expandable collet as the Enduro however so it won't work with certain OEM BB. Link

I noticed last week that Race Face has a new BB bearing extracting tool that seems to use a collet. I never saw the price however, chances are it's a happy medium. Link
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I dont like to be part of the throw away society and I like to fix before replace but.
    Ceramic bearings only from RWC are $65
    Complete ceramic bearing bottom bracket from pricepoint(Wheels Mfg with aluminum spacer between drive cups)is $49
    I just replaced my bottom bracket bearings usng my method a couple months ago and I just ordered from PP an assembly, i did the math
    Price Point - Discounts on Mountain Bike and Road Bike Parts, Accessories and Cycling Clothing

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You can DIY a bearing press using a suitable strong washer cut into three pieces:

More info here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Tig World..That is exactly what I am looking for !!!